Talk

Advanced search

Turkeys

(8 Posts)
QueenOfIce Sat 11-Aug-18 19:27:37

I'm tempted to get a Kelly bronze this year, we need a 4-5kg. Price wise it's between £68-£80! confused

I'd like an organic free range turkey, where do you get yours?

PerverseConverse Sat 11-Aug-18 20:55:52

Wow, I had no idea turkeys cost that much. It's rather obscene really. So glad we don't eat meat.

QueenOfIce Sat 11-Aug-18 21:13:54

Neither do I perverse but I have family coming and they do so I want a turkey that's been given the very best life. sad

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 11-Aug-18 21:50:30

We are three vegetarians + DS who will eat chicken or sausages.

If I do cook for guests , I'd buy a good chicken, Free Range and the RSPCA logo. (Or DBro gets one from his local butchers which sells ethically reared ones)

Turkey is more likely to go dry being so big , you can work out portions /weight and you might need a couple of birds?
Slice them up in the kitchen, no-one will know .

Or do you want the 'carve at the table' experience ?

keiratwiceknightly Sat 11-Aug-18 21:57:41

That's about what we pay. Local butcher, free range "happy" turkey. When you consider what you spend at Xmas it seems reasonable.

(Tastes so much better than a £20 frozen one from a supermarket too)

QueenOfIce Sat 11-Aug-18 22:13:59

No I don't want the carve at the table, I'm not an evangelical veggie I've been veggie a short while really but I don't plan on having it carved at the table.

FruitCider Sat 11-Aug-18 22:35:43

I'm a vegetarian, my family know if they come to mine there won't be any meat. They protested the first year - since they didn't die of Turkey deprivation their argument is invalid wink

ILoveGroot Sun 12-Aug-18 07:23:38

If you wouldn't normally get a turkey could family that want it contribute or pay for it?

Half of our extended family are veggie and I would not expect them to make a turkey for us, and if I did want a turkey I would pay for it and cook it. The veggie options are usually nicer than the turkey anyway, but my turkey always ends up on the dry side!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: