Talk

Advanced search

Wrap as you go or wrap all at the same time?

(45 Posts)
toolazytothinkofausername Sat 11-Aug-18 08:36:41

Which do you prefer?

I prefer to wrap as I go, as it feels most satisfying.

Pascha Sat 11-Aug-18 08:38:57

I like to wrap as I go for any adults but for my children I wait to make sure the presents are more or less even, then wrap theirs all at once.

HunterHearstHelmsley Sat 11-Aug-18 08:39:55

All at the same time or I forget what I've bought

DownUdderer Sat 11-Aug-18 08:42:45

Yes, I think I’d forget what the presents were if I wrapped them too early!

We’re moving house in two weeks and one thing that’s just occurred to me is that for the first time ever (since having kids) we’ll have enough space and cupboards to actually put presents all in one place! I normally stress out about where to hide things! And can’t wrap stuff too soon incase the kids see!

madvixen Sat 11-Aug-18 08:43:56

All at the same time. I set aside the first Sunday in December (tree goes up on the Saturday), stick some mulled wine in the slow cooker and shut myself away in the spare room with some Christmas songs.

Bluelonerose Sat 11-Aug-18 08:44:40

Defenitly wrap as I buy.
I'll then number the presents then when I've decided whose buying what I'll go back over them with name tags.
The list of wrapped presents stays with me so no peeking either.

Pascha Sat 11-Aug-18 08:53:53

I don't understand what you mean @bluelonerose confused.

WhoKnowsWereTheTimeG0es Sat 11-Aug-18 08:53:54

All at the same time, always. Much more efficient than having to keep getting out the wrapping stuff, less risk of wrappings getting damaged, easier to see what's what.

anotherangel2 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:56:41

The same time with mulled wine, in front of the fire with the tree lights on and a Christmas film. But I only have one small DD

lostlalaloopsy Sat 11-Aug-18 08:57:35

I like to do it all at once whilst watching National Lampoons and drinking Baileys!!

Sassenach85 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:59:37

Reading this gives me butterflies! I love xmasssssss!

weaselwords Sat 11-Aug-18 09:02:39

All at the same time, so I can see who is getting what. I’ve tried wrapping as I go, but the presents seem to get moved around a lot and ended up looking tatty, so I had to redo them.

MsSquiz Sat 11-Aug-18 09:06:29

I usually have 2 or 3 evenings in December where I pop on my Xmas playlist and wrap presents in batches. It feels more Xmassy for me to do it in batches rather than wrap as I go, but don't want to be overwhelmed doing it all at once

I always have a spreadsheet of gifts so I can see who I'm buying for, what I'm buying, cost (by individual gift and total per person), when I've bought it and when I've wrapped it.

We also have our 3 nephews' and niece's birthdays in the 2 weeks before Xmas so i like to know I'm prepared

VickieCherry Sat 11-Aug-18 09:09:25

All at the same time, Christmas Eve or the weekend before if I've bought everything, Harry Potter film on.

I don't tend to buy much before December.

EyeDrops Sat 11-Aug-18 09:15:32

I'm a late buyer. Usually do it all in one go after term ends in December, and wrap on Christmas Eve with Christmassy films/music on. I love the atmosphere!

Sunnybeachbabe Sat 11-Aug-18 09:18:23

Wrapped as I went for the first time last year, it was amazing!! So much less stress, I'll definitely do it again 😊

Stompythedinosaur Sat 11-Aug-18 10:21:57

I've always wrapped in one go, but it gets overwhelming. I'm going to try to wrap in batches this year.

didyouseetheflaresinthesky Sat 11-Aug-18 10:24:35

All at once with a boxset on and the dog trying to steal the sellotape.

wanderings Sat 11-Aug-18 11:06:54

We wrap the Christmas ones in one go, with Christmas jumpers on, and appropriate music playing; we stock up on seasonal paper beforehand. It is a chore - sometimes we get through the whole festive playlist before we're finished, or have to nip out for more paper, or reorganise the space under the tree to fit them there!

But my favourite part is at the end. It's my "punishment for not believing in Santa santa", and it keeps me going through the chore: DH then wraps my presents in front of me, and lets me feel them and shake them. I know how many there are, what they feel like. But I'm always a teeny tiny bit sulky about one thing that DH always does: in spite of my promises to keep my eyes closed, he'll only bring my goodies when he's sure I'm well and truly blindfolded, and he always ties MY scarf so tightly over my eyes that I can't see at all, it's not fair!! sad shock sad Actually this ritual was my idea, and we do it every year. wink

OldGreyBoots Sat 11-Aug-18 11:53:33

Sounds a wee bit kinky wanderings grin
I love the idea though!

Todamhottoday Sat 11-Aug-18 12:00:43

I wrap in one go, reason is I like to wrap peoples gift with all the same paper and buy paper according to that person.

So say DH has all his wrapped in one colour and the same and he gets the best wrapping, children fun paper with bits of tinsel etc. older family have more traditional maybe with some ivy/holly sprigs tied on the gift other friends have maybe a bunch of herbs on jute and so on.

I love wrapping!

Alanamackree Sat 11-Aug-18 18:00:18

I’m in the wrap-as-you-go camp on the principle that if the dc ever discovered my stash I might get away with just changing the wrapping paper.
I keep paper, scissors and tape hidden with the stash in the attic. It all comes down on Christmas Eve morning, to be hidden in the car boot. The dc help me clear out the boot earlier in the week so they know there’s nothing stashed there, and I send them to the attic for the table linen on Christmas Eve so they know there’s nothing there either.
Each dc has a different paper from santa so it’s not hard to keep track, and they are very discreetly numbered in light pencil (which no one has ever noticed) and listed on my phone.

wanderings Sun 12-Aug-18 06:40:31

@Alanamackree Are you a magician by trade? I've seen some of these things mentioned in books of tricks: discreet pencil marks, showing an empty space while cunning moving the hidden things.

@OldGreyBoots Glad you like the idea; it's our own grown-up bit of Christmas magic. Everyone we mention it to thinks it's weird that I like to be in on my presents being wrapped, with my sight confiscated. I think my DH used my same word as you to describe the idea when I put it to him. I insisted on the "wrap in one go" for this. He doesn't want me to do the same to him, so I warned him that every present for me must be wrapped with me there. He's still bemused, but plays along.

Allthepinkunicorns Sun 12-Aug-18 09:49:40

I love to wrap mine all at the same time while watching Christmas movies and having a drink or two.

fromtheshires Sun 12-Aug-18 12:42:50

I do all my wrapping in one go usually the weekend after the christmas decs go up as the wrapping paper is kept with them.

It frustrates me and takes hours as im a perfectionist as my grans presents always have the most perfect wrapping to them so i try and emulate it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: