Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Camping AKA Grotto In My Garden....

(33 Posts)
ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 16:25:26

Inspired by a recent camping thread, I thought this might be the topic where people would appreciate my FABULOUS Christmas related idea <she said modestly>

Following on from the success of camping in our garden as our Summer Holiday this year, I give you...

CHRISTMAS CAMPING

I am planning to put my tent up in the garden again in December and decorate it with Christmas blankets, cushions, fairy lights, a heater, hot chocolate and tinsel tasteful decorations (which I will keep well away from the heater!)

It will be my Grotto in the Garden and I will be able to use the house WiFi to watch Christmas films in it. I could also do my wrapping in it, listening to Christmas music and troughing mince pies

I am beyond excited. DH did this face hmm but I think you like minded people might appreciate it...

<awaits congratulations and admiration>

ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 16:27:41

Awaits influx of people saying "YABU" DESPITE THIS BEING IN THE CHRISTMAS TOPIC NOT AIBU and people saying "why are you mentioning Christmas in August" DESPITE THIS BEING IN THE CHRISTMAS TOPIC

wink

MVLipwig Thu 09-Aug-18 16:29:32

Sounds brilliant to me, but substitute the hot chocolate for mulled wine/cider

girlinleeds Thu 09-Aug-18 16:33:21

dd has a shed in the garden, i wonder if i could turn it into a christmas grotto, same as your idea but in a shed, amazing idea why have i never thought of this. Dh will think ive gone completely mad though so may have to do it in secret

Stompythedinosaur Thu 09-Aug-18 16:39:12

I like the idea, but it would depend on how effectively the heater heated it as to whether I would enjoy it.

I love idea of having a grotto for wrapping and films!

Stompythedinosaur Thu 09-Aug-18 16:39:49

I do appreciate the insanity of the plan though!

ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 16:48:05

Lipwig I would have liked mulled wine (or Baileys!) but I used to have an alarming tendency to drink the whole lot and channel Father Jack blush The tent would be destroyed grin

ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 16:48:53

Oooh. I also have an electric heated throw. And an electric blanket.

duckling84 Thu 09-Aug-18 16:51:43

Sounds brilliant to me, but substitute the hot chocolate for mulled wine/cider

Err... winter pimms you mean.

I think it sounds wonderful! I'd love a little bell tent with wood burning stove. Twinkly lights, sheepskin rugs, a little tree, Christmas films... it would be so magical.
Unfortunately it wouldn't fit in my garden (it's on a hill, split into 5 sections on different levels, the largest being approx 2.5sqm)
Please do it, and please post photos x

ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 16:52:04

I could put a Christmas tree in it!

Now I feel like I need a large bell tent to accommodate all this...

ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 16:53:01

Great minds think alike re bell tent!

I'm going to get reindeer antlers for the cat <and gauntlets so I can put them on her>

bandthenjust Thu 09-Aug-18 17:07:00

Omg this sounds so, so, great! BUT! I cant help but feel anxious about the he ater/tent combo... Please be careful lol

Alanamackree Thu 09-Aug-18 17:14:23

I read your op imagining doing all this hunched over in my teeny two-man tent before it dawned on me that your tent is obviously considerably bigger than mine grin
Any tips on how to convince dh that we need to buy a bigger tent without committing myself to the hell of actually camping in it? smile

bandthenjust Thu 09-Aug-18 17:19:54

This threa d makes me want to buy a shed, purely to turn it into a gingerbread style den for Christmas.

ExileOnMNStreet Thu 09-Aug-18 17:43:02

Alan simple, buy the gigantic tent, have your Garden Grotto and on the 1st January, drink all the mulled wine and fall over, sadly ripping the tent beyond repair. Poor Christmas tent. The tent of Christmas past.

GrabbyMcGrabby Thu 09-Aug-18 19:00:20

star nice plan OP. Am now thinking about a Christmas gazebo. :-)

GrabbyMcGrabby Thu 09-Aug-18 19:01:38

And heating a tent is ok so long as it's not a barbeque or real fire as carbon monoxide poisoning would be an issue.

giveitfive Thu 09-Aug-18 19:07:15

Shamelessly stealing this idea. I have a tired old Bell tent that is asking for the glitter treatment....

Inspired!

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Thu 09-Aug-18 19:12:11

Ah feck it, I've only just painted my shed last month and now I want to redo it as a gingerbread house.

nothanksbyenow Thu 09-Aug-18 19:47:49

girlinleeds secret Christmas shed!! grin how will you put people off the scent?!

BiddyPop Thu 09-Aug-18 21:21:09

Well don't have any secret sheds smelling of gingerbread anyway!!!

Bechetdiagnosed Thu 09-Aug-18 21:25:50

Sounds awesome grin

ARoomSomewhere Thu 09-Aug-18 21:30:19

You've all gorn mad... mad i tell you...

ARoomSomewhere Thu 09-Aug-18 21:31:13

wonders if dd would help me train Basset to wear antlers

ExileOnMNStreet Fri 10-Aug-18 14:14:05

Seasonal Shed also very good idea fsmile

I have given the tent some more thought and decided I need a yurt. Just so I can call it The Yuletide Yurt.

I'm going to do this! I shall try and remember to report back. I'm actually thinking a MN Christmas party in the Yuletide Yurt would be excellent fun...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: