Talk

Advanced search

Mrs.Xmas feeling deflated! anyone else!?

(54 Posts)
kissmelittleass Sun 21-Jan-18 11:46:36

I am Mrs Xmas!! I love xmas ever since I was a kid and the magic has never left me! Everyone laughs at my love of xmas like putting the tree up early and having the house like santa's grotto. So come January through to late August I feel like my sparkle has gone I really do not like long light days.. I love dark evenings, twinkling of lights and just the general feeling of the cosiness of it all. I love everything about the build up of xmas it makes me so happy. I have lots of fairy lights going on around the house so I have some sparkle! I think I have the reverse of winter SAD!! with the thoughts of lighter evenings coming in, every week now the stretch in the evenings is getting that bit longer and I find it depressing. I perk up in June when the longest day passes and we are on the countdown to darker evenings! Seeing Easter eggs in the shops yesterday I was just feeling bluuggh! I bought cheap crackers, cards and loads of wrapping paper this week though so that gave me a bit of a lift!! Am I alone in feeling like this or do I have some Xmas buddys with me on this one?

Mrsmadevans Sun 21-Jan-18 19:40:32

You are not alone my dear , I bought some little lights and put them around the room to cheer me up and you know what they worked a treat!
Also there is such a thing as Rudolph days, one day a month dedicated to Christmas and you can do anything Christmassy you want to ...cheer up it will be next Christmas before you know it here we are nearly in February!

73kittycat73 Sun 21-Jan-18 19:59:46

puts up hand Another Christmas nut here. I've really missed it this year especially. I've been looking on Ebay for Christmas items (Teapot, creamer,etc.) to help cheer me up. I miss so much! I love the dark nights too. I prefer winter weather to summer.
I'm trying to hold onto the fact it'll be Christmas in July then the real countdown begins. I believe Selfidges and/or Harrods opens their Christmas departments around august. Then it's just onto
September and Strictly starts. Just got 6 months to get through first! fshock
I've also started my Christmas shopping for this year. Only one item brought so far, but it's a start. fsmile
How about you kissmelittleass ? How do you count down the year/ beat the post Christmas blues?

NoWordForFluffy Mon 22-Jan-18 06:31:37

Ooh, Christmas teapot?! Did you find one that wasn't extortionate, kitty?

I love the cosiness of the Christmas lights etc, but I also love watching new life break through the soil and flowers etc starting to bloom with the cycle of life starting again. And getting sunshine on my face!

I make the most of prepping for Christmas and LOVE the season, but can't say that I love winter much!

Barbeasty Mon 22-Jan-18 09:05:40

If you're near a Portmerion outlet it's worth looking there for Christmas crockery. The one near me has put their The Holly and the Ivy range to 75% off. That's off the seconds price. I picked up a cake stand which is about £43 full price for under £8 last week along with a serving platter, 8 cake plates and a mug

blacksmiths09 Mon 22-Jan-18 13:37:54

I am totally deflated as well......just been out looking round all the usual shops for anything Christmassy that’s reduced...... came back with this little lot...

blacksmiths09 Mon 22-Jan-18 13:39:22

I too love dark nights and twinkling lights. We also constantly have festive smelling melts and candles going all year and I try and keep some fairy lights going all year where I can.

PutDownThatLaptop Mon 22-Jan-18 13:46:24

(raises hand) me too....

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 22-Jan-18 20:58:24

We had some swirly non settling snow yesterday *would've been nicer if it had been a month ago^ fhmm

I miss the lights , the candles, my Christmas crockery , the smells of cooking.

But I can relive a bit when I go to see my DParents, I will take the rest of my cake (not marzipanned or iced) and do a big roast dinner (I'm vegetarian but I still cook the full monty)

73kittycat73 Tue 23-Jan-18 01:34:29

Ooh, Christmas teapot?! Did you find one that wasn't extortionate, kitty?

I've got a couple in watching, around the £10.00 mark, but the postage is around £6.00! I shall have another good look tomorrow. All the best ones come from The States and the postage itself is £20.00 plus.

Thanks Barbeasty , I've not heard of them before. I'll have to have a Google. Do they sell online?

Nice stash there blacksmiths09 I love the colour of the tinsel.

Ooh, a roast sounds lovely 70isaLimitNotaTarget . I'm veggie too. I usually have a Linda McCartney Sausage roll as my 'main', what do you have instead of meat? (Really want a Yorkshire Pudding now. :p lol )

NoWordForFluffy Tue 23-Jan-18 08:50:51

I think I'm watching the same ones! DH thinks the white one with the spout chip will piss tea everywhere!

I might just get a Christmas tea cosy for our current pot!

Barbeasty Tue 23-Jan-18 08:55:42

They do sell online, and have a sale on, but it was much cheaper in the outlet village.
This is the Holly & Ivy range.

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 23-Jan-18 09:16:12

I used to be exactly the same. Loving the dark nights as it meant christmas was coming. Planning what I would buy the kids from January onwards. Planning parties etc.

This year I'm dreading christmas coming. Christmas will never be the same again for me.

BiddyPop Tue 23-Jan-18 09:57:43

Oh dear Muddling, I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't see if you'd made it through the season ok, but I was thinking of you and your DH.

Some people on the Christmas boards have muttered about me being very into Christmas. I am, but in a "I like to celebrate the season of peace and goodwill to all, all year round, and also be ready when the actual season comes to actually enjoy it rather than being a stresshead lost in making arrangements for everyone else" sense of loving it.

That means reviewing how last year went and deciding what to do the same and what to change early in the year.
Rolling over the gifts and budget lists - who to buy for, any ideas for each person, and starting to pick things up as I see them either perfect for that person or on seriously good offers.
Getting ahead on making things - crafts, food, alcoholic infusions etc - as they all take time and often alcohol or food items need time to mature.
And thinking about what new things I'd like to try - whether that's recipes, concerts, rented cottages (if we travel "down home") or different bird for the feast (we had pheasant one year - interesting but not for Christmas we decided).

Live365 had lovely Christmas channels all year round - that internet station has closed down but there are some available on TuneIn radio or similar - and you could always get a nice cd of choral or orchestral music, or something that you love that is Christmassy, to enjoy now and again.

I also keep 1 nice Christmas mug out all year round - which I only rarely use, mostly for Rudolph Day (25th of every month) when I try to do something Christmassy for fun and also something to plan ahead for the coming Christmas.

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 23-Jan-18 10:29:48

Thank you biddy

We found out it was back on 16th December so obviously wasn't around on MN when we found out. He then grew his angel wings 17 days later on 2nd January. He didn't get to play with anything he had for Christmas.

I've been in two minds about whether to pop on the old thread to let everyone know as you were all so kind, but I'm always conscious of bringing threads down and/or hijacking them with my grief.....Just like I've done here 💔

NoWordForFluffy Tue 23-Jan-18 12:43:16

Oh, Muddling. I'm so, so sorry. flowers

Don't feel you have to stay away from the other thread; you're one of us and I know the others wouldn't want you to feel that you couldn't come and talk to us about your darling son.

BiddyPop Tue 23-Jan-18 13:05:51

Muddling, no, you haven't derailed or brought the thread down. [hugs] Like Fluffy said, you're one of us, and Christmas is like life, there are good bits and bad bits but they all combine to make it what it is for us all. And it changes over time as we all change too, whether we want to or not.

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 23-Jan-18 14:17:39

Thank you biddy and fluffy

Mrsmadevans Tue 23-Jan-18 18:12:18

Muddling oh my dear I am so so very sorry . I have been wondering how you were all getting on and I didn't realise what had happened. I don't know what to say except to give you my sincerest condolences , empty words for you l know. I am so sorry please take care of yourselves and hold on tight to your memories and know that we are all here for you whenever you want to talk . I only wish this was a horrible horrible lie. You must feel like it is all a terrible nightmare, l only hope you are getting support from others who can help you my dear. We in Wales don't hug we give CWTCHES and I am sending you a huge one right now . Please take your time and do whatever you want to do, come to us on the thread if you want to, don't worry about us lot. We want to help xxx

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 23-Jan-18 18:53:50

Thank you Mrs. Cwtches from us welshies are the best.

It all seems so surreal. We have his internment tomorrow. He fought so hard for a year and it was such a shock when we found out it was back and then he was gone 17 short days later. He loved christmas but was too poorly to enjoy it this year and didn't get to play with any of his new things.

Mrsmadevans Tue 23-Jan-18 20:18:43

My heart goes out to you my dear Muddling. I think this feeling is normal, (can anything to do with losing your 10 year old darling boy be considered normal) when grieving, it is as if it is a dream. I can't imagine how you are feeling atm in time, you must be dreading tomorrow although in a way you may be wanting to get it over with. I have no idea. This is so hard for you I can only tell you that we are here for you to hold your hand through this terrible terrible loss. I am so very sorry.

PutDownThatLaptop Tue 23-Jan-18 21:10:57

Oh my goodness, Muddling, I am so, so sorry. Words cannot express how much.

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 23-Jan-18 21:22:45

Thank you Mrs for your kind words and to putdown x

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 23-Jan-18 21:24:50

Oh Muddling thanks. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

I'll pop into church in the morning and light a candle for your darling boy. Sending you love and strength for tomorrow.

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 23-Jan-18 22:37:47

Thank you woolly that would be nice if you could. It's Super Sam's internment at 11.30am tomorrow x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: