Talk

Advanced search

When do Christmas Eve boxes appear?

(35 Posts)
MrsPringles Mon 18-Dec-17 06:57:17

We’ve gone all out this year (so Christmas haters look away now)

Ds is 3 and really gets what’s going on and is ridiculously excited.

So Christmas Eve box when do you get it out? my options are, elf on the shelf delivers it in the morning as his final hurrah or does it appear when we get back from visiting Father Christmas (ie, DH will go and get him in the car and I’ll quickly stick it in the living room before we go so it’s there when we get back)

fsmilefsmilefsmilefsmile

mumof2sarah Mon 18-Dec-17 06:58:51

I'm doing mine in front of the tree in the morning because there's some activities in there inc. a colouring book etc 🎄❤️

ErnestTheBavarian Mon 18-Dec-17 07:01:48

I've never heard of a Christmas Eve box. What is it? Like a stocking but the day before? What's the point of them? Is this a normal thing now?

mumof2sarah Mon 18-Dec-17 07:07:27

@ErnestTheBavarian basically... yeah kind of. I've always had a gift on Xmas eve from being a child, usually pjs and a book or pjs and a colouring book etc and we always got a Christmas film to watch before bed with popcorn etc and I've carried it on. They get a little basket that includes new Xmas Jammies, movie, a cpl of activities for the day and nibbles to have with the movie, plus reindeer food to sprinkle outside. It's placed in front of the tree for when they get up its just a nice little start for the Xmas days for us ❤️

MrsPringles Mon 18-Dec-17 07:07:57

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/christmas/0/best-christmas-eve-boxes-gift-ideas/amp/

They’re a thing

speakout Mon 18-Dec-17 07:12:17

Ours appear just as it gets dark, so around 4pm.

Son's include craft beer and pork scratchings, DD has PJs and Lush bath bombs.

ImogenTubbs Mon 18-Dec-17 07:13:46

DH doesn't want us to do one for DD. We're not doing stockings this year either 😩

speakout Mon 18-Dec-17 07:16:33

imogen- my OH gets no choice over things like that. I don't even discuss.
Things just appear.

metalmum15 Mon 18-Dec-17 07:22:30

When dc were little they would have a book or activity book and chocolate to open, usually in the morning so they'd have something to do to help distract from the excitement. Now they're older they just have new pjs at bedtime.
Imogen if you want to do Xmas eve gifts and stockings, do it, kids won't be at home forever.

Movablefeast Mon 18-Dec-17 07:23:30

We haven't Cone a Christmas box before but after going to Midnight Mass everyone gets new pjs and slippers for bed.

mumof2sarah Mon 18-Dec-17 07:23:48

Speakout 😂🙈 I was about to say similar. The conversation went as followed

Me: right that's everything bought and wrapped, the stuff
For the stocking bagged up in to each person and ready to go in the stockings once they're asleep and the Christmas Eve boxes complete alls you need to do is place them on top of wardrobe and get them down Xmas eve.
DP: ok (long pause) thanks for sorting it all out Babe you know how useless I am with stuff like that
Me: yeah I do know how useless I am now order me a Chinese to show your appreciation 😂😂😂

We were jesting though, he always says there's no point him doing anything of that stuff because he's rubbish and would choose wrong sizes (even though he actually doesn't really choose wrong sizes he's good at that) and buy things they already have (yes yes he would) I love doing the Xmas shopping, he comes with me but we go off the list I've made and he usually agrees with everything I pick up. He did at first seem a bit confused with the Xmas eve box/present but he loves it now, he always gets new pjs and shower stuff and he says it makes him feel really giddy for the following day too now lol x

Lookingtothehighlands Mon 18-Dec-17 07:28:19

Imogen - why are your dhs views more important than yours? I’ve never done boxes but my dc always have a parcel under the tree to be opened on Christmas Eve- new pyjamas. They’re in their 20s now but would be disappointed if I didn’t do it. And I stiydo stockings- and my mum still does one for me!

LEMtheoriginal Mon 18-Dec-17 07:29:12

It's another way for shops to get money from us!

speakout Mon 18-Dec-17 07:29:49

mumof2sarah exactly.

These things are just simply not important to my OH.
He is a kind gentle man, loves his family to bits, he spends every moment when not working attending to me and the kids.

But he is just not into all the frilly bits of a celebration. He is a nuts and bolts man.
And I enjoy the frilly bits.
I already have baskets and some items for the christmas eve boxes. Bought a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even mentioned the fact to him.

mumof2sarah Mon 18-Dec-17 07:32:49

Speakout snap 😍 my mans the same, I never did stockings as a child (mum and dad were too excited and always woke us up about half 5 to open the actual presents) and he did, he never had Xmas eve presents and I did. The first year because he wanted stockings and I wanted Xmas eve boxes we said I'd do my tradition he'd carry on his... the shit that he included in them even his mum was mortified because she never included that stuff 😂 needless to say I took over then and it's just stuck since x

HuskyMcClusky Mon 18-Dec-17 07:34:48

It's another way for shops to get money from us!

<nods sagely> A box of more new crap.

Genuine question: why would you need an actual DVD of a Christmas film?! Doesn’t everyone Netflix/ download from iTunes?

SprogletsMum Mon 18-Dec-17 07:38:12

Our Xmas eve box will appear whilst we're out for breakfast with Santa and soft play.
I'm aiming to be back for 2pm and then there's a sticker book each, a mug a DVD and pjs. There might also be cake mix to make cakes for Santa and the film depending on if I can be bothered to make them with them.
The elf will have gone and left the dc a little letter with the box

HariboBrenshnio Mon 18-Dec-17 07:47:03

Our arrives on the doorstep at 4pm. I have DP take them off into the house and I knock on the door so they come running.
Ours has Christmas biscuits, hot chocolate, new pjs, bath bomb, a film, the book 'a night before Christmas', Santa's plate and reindeer food. So we watch the film with hot choc and biscuits, have a bath, into new pjs, scatter the reindeer food, read the book, leave santa his treats and go to bed! Basically an excessive bedtime routine grin

mumof2sarah Mon 18-Dec-17 07:47:16

@HuskyMcClusky my movie this year is... a piece of paper that I've made into a movie ticket, they can choose their movie from Netflix/sky etc 👍🏻

HuskyMcClusky Mon 18-Dec-17 07:48:56

^ makes sense! grin

lostlalaloopsy Mon 18-Dec-17 07:51:12

mumof2sarah that is a great idea!! I hate buying DVD's now everything is on Netflix!

Our boxes arrive around 4pm, they have new pjs, bubble bath, tooth brushes and popcorn. I also put in a new non Christmassy book. It's all a ploy to help kids think it will soon be bed time!!

ImogenTubbs Mon 18-Dec-17 07:51:37

Lookingtothehighlands - they're not smile It's because we're spending Christmas with his parents this year and his brother will be there with DD's cousin so he wants to do it the way they did when they were kids and make sure both girls get the same.** Which I can understand.**

fizzytonicplease Mon 18-Dec-17 07:52:15

We are going out for a walk in the afternoon or to the swimming pool depending on weather, and as DH gets DS outside i will nip back in for a "wee" and will get the xmas eve box out and put the elf away ready for when we get back. We will tell DS that the elf has gone back now to help father Christmas but has left him the box to say goodbye.

This is our first year of doing all this as DS will be 3 on xmas day and is alot more aware and excited for xmas this year.

MrsPringles Mon 18-Dec-17 08:33:36

Ok, I think it would be better if ours appeared after we have been to see Father Christmas then.
So exited, he just loves Christmas this year and I know some people think it’s unnecessary but as a child I never had things like this and I really enjoy seeing him so excited over things like this and a stocking at the end of his bed. Christmas with children is magical and I am embracing all the frilly bits!

We have a letter from Father Christmas, a magic key that we leave outside for FC to get in as we have no chimney, plate for mince pie and Rudolph’s carrot, hot chocolate powder and chocolate coins, Paddington Christmas book from M&S and a Peppa Christmas DVD.

And then matching PJ’s for myself and DS but he already knows about them, DH drew the line at those though confusedgrin

jopickles Mon 18-Dec-17 09:00:11

our elf leaves ours so she gets it when she wakes up and we will be having a family one this year as an extra treat so that will appear at the same time

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: