Talk

Advanced search

Gift for cold family member

(31 Posts)
velvetcandy Sun 17-Dec-17 22:57:56

Hello can anyone recommend a gift for a family member who lives in a freezing cold converted barn. They don't have much money or work due to health problems and can't afford to put their heating on. They already own a heated blanket and portable electric heater so any other ideas would be great thanks x

Kelvingrove Sun 17-Dec-17 23:01:45

Marks and Spencer fleece lined throw blankets. They are not cheap but lovely and soft and warm.

TheQueenOfWands Sun 17-Dec-17 23:05:11

Uggs.

Nyx1 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:05:37

These are good
www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Hotties-Hand-Warmer-10-Pack/dp/B01MYDYJ2I?tag=mumsnetforum-21

LineyRunner Sun 17-Dec-17 23:05:53

Do they already have a good high-tog duvet, warm brushed sheet, etc?

Or money in a card, or supermarket gift card.

OliviaStabler Sun 17-Dec-17 23:05:54

A really good duvet.

niknac1 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:08:00

I wear my quilted coat when I don’t want to put the heating on it’s a lands end one similar to Women's Regular Quilted PrimaLoft® Travel Parka. It’s warm and light, I suppose it’s like the quilted fillets coats farmers might wear. It’s been fantastic recently when the temps have dropped. I expect you can get quilted fillets and coats from country / farm/ tack shops.

niknac1 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:08:52

Gilets

sweetkitty Sun 17-Dec-17 23:10:33

A pair of cheap UGG type boots to use as slippers, fleece PJs, lovely soft warm throw

ThomasRichard Sun 17-Dec-17 23:10:47

Depends on your budget. Some ideas:

- Microwaveable slipper boots
- Fleece throw
- Really warm duvet
- Hot water bottle

Mehfruittea Sun 17-Dec-17 23:11:18

Fluffy socks
Microwave slippers
Fingerless gloves
A cozy throw for the sofa that doubles as a shawl when you have to answer the door
Wheat bags

I get very cold myself grin

WisestIsShe Sun 17-Dec-17 23:11:59

How about an ultra light down gilet from Uniqlo? Very nice and snuggly. here

AdoraBell Sun 17-Dec-17 23:16:32

What about brushed cotton/flannalet pj’s, or thermal underwear? And thermal socks.

Or to keep warm during the day a wool sweater? I find wool is the only thing that keeps me warm.

Stinkbomb Sun 17-Dec-17 23:16:43

I've asked for cashmere wrist warmers - under £20 if that's in budget.
Otherwise those fleece-backed blankets are gorgeous

Sealsarewaterdogs Sun 17-Dec-17 23:19:28

Microwavable plush toys smile

user1499114292 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:20:57

Marks and Spencer thermogen range, long and short sleeved tops/ vests and socks in particular. Very thin and comfortable to wear, so don't stop you doing anything, but really work.

NeverUseThisName Sun 17-Dec-17 23:27:19

Good quality wool socks. (Not cashmere - feel lovely and soft, but not hard-wearing.) 75% wool 25% nylon is very good.

Merino long underwear. Technical hillwalking/skiing kit, rather than fashion. Not cheap, probably £40+ per item. Cheapest, I think, is Decathlon.

Wool next the skin is very warm and doesn't need washing after every wear. Good quality wool is also soft, machine-washable and hard-wearing - a worthwhile investment.

Ollivander84 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:30:16

Cozees socks. Amazon or TK Maxx usually have them. I have freezing feet in bed and I actually take them off as my feet are too hot which is unheard of! They're thermal but with a lining too

LakeFlyPie Sun 17-Dec-17 23:39:53

Aldi have merino base layers in their ski section of the random aisle at the moment.

DancingLedge Sun 17-Dec-17 23:45:16

Merino base layer are the best thing ever if good heating is too expensive.
Aldi sounds like a good idea. Otherwise possibly Mountain Warehouse, if they've got offers.

Plus good socks. Walking socks tend to be warmest.

ScreamingValenta Sun 17-Dec-17 23:52:27

A Thermos-style insulated mug to keep drinks warmer for longer.

LeaveAllThisToYesterday Sun 17-Dec-17 23:59:06

I live in M&S cashmere fingerless gloves for about four months a year! Bit pricey, but totally worth it, they're warm but thin enough to wear round the house/at work: www.marksandspencer.com/pure-cashmere-slash-end-gloves/p/p60110637?OmnitureRedirect=Cashmere+wrist+warmers&pdpredirect. If those are too expensive, I hear good things about Turtle Doves.

bunbunny Mon 18-Dec-17 00:47:21

I second the Marks and spencers HeatGen range - great as an extra layer or two.

Costco do cheaper nice merino base layer stuff - dh has some that's good quality and was about £15 for a top.

They also do fantastic throws and blankets that are really warm and snuggly and soft - that are in store and online at the moment. We have several of the blankets and throws and they're much better quality for the money than any of the similar ones I've seen in shops from Asda to M&S and JOhn Lewis.

www.costco.co.uk/view/search?sort=score&search=throw

Some of the padded or fleece lined walking trousers or ski trousers could also be really good - they make a big difference to keeping warm, along with good socks that don't trap the sweat and make your feet damp. and a good warm hat.

Annwithnoe Mon 18-Dec-17 06:18:12

If you google "battery heated clothing" there are various jackets, socks etc that have a heating element. Massive price range, about £17 for pads to sew into clothes yourself, £30-£300 for gullets and jackets

Annwithnoe Mon 18-Dec-17 06:29:18

Sorry! Just read your op properly and realisedthey probably won't be able to afford batteries, even rechargables.

Any clothing witha high percentage of wool or silk will be very warm.
If you are crafty/ or want to give something from kids, an old fashioned "snakey" draught excluder
Ditto for rice filled microwaveable heating pads
I particularly appreciate hot water bottles with wider openings (easy to fill)
Kidney warmer; I have one like this that doesn't look out of place if it shows under clothes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: