Talk

Advanced search

MacBook Air or MacBook Pro?

(7 Posts)
Salubrious Sun 17-Dec-17 14:27:24

I’ve been haranguing my husband to give me some ideas for Christmas I think I may have cracked it. His old laptop is on its last legs and as he has an iPhone I thought a macbook would be ideal. I’ve read the specs on both but his usage will be mainly browsing the net and streaming movies. Does it make sense to go for the air which is true cheaper option or is the pro amazing and I should just bite the bullet?

TIA

UnarmedKoala Sun 17-Dec-17 14:32:35

If only browsing and streaming the air will be fine, if gaming then go with the pro

LooksBetterWithAFilter Sun 17-Dec-17 14:38:04

I had the same argument with myself last year I ended up with the air. I stream movies, use spreadsheets and word browse the web etc and it does everything I want it to and more.
I couldn’t for the life of me see any reason why I needed to spend the money on something that was heavier and bulkier.
On thee threads you will get loads of people saying oh it has to be the pro it’s so much better but I regularly use a pro for work and cannot see what it does that I need it for that my air doesn’t.

mummyhaschangedhername Sun 17-Dec-17 14:47:24

I've had two pros (the previous one was stolen) ... I think the main difference is they can play games. To be honest I don't like my new one as much as my old one. They removed all the USB drives so you have to buy a converter and removed the CD drive which is the reason I went with pro previously. Although I suppose CDs as becoming old tech now.

MongerTruffle Sun 17-Dec-17 14:50:01

I wouldn't bother with the Air. I had to use a friend's MacBook Air (a few months ago) and it couldn't keep up with the speed I was working at.

chocolateworshipper Sun 17-Dec-17 17:34:39

Air is absolutely fine for what you want it for. Pro has a better screen but you'd only notice the difference for processing photos.

664485867669432fjffhththththth Sun 17-Dec-17 21:08:35

Had my air for over 5 years now - couldn't justify the cost of the pro in comparison. Trusty, still much quicker than windows and love it. Easier to carry around than my colleagues pros as much lighter and never thought 'ah could have used that' except for no cd drive / hdmi but these are becoming less and less a problem with the rise of streaming / online storage etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: