Talk

Advanced search

What is the best gift you have ever received?

(58 Posts)
Comedyshortsgamer Sun 17-Dec-17 13:44:05

I would say for me between the laptop I got last year or the ps4 I got two years ago.

TheQueenOfWands Sun 17-Dec-17 13:46:46

My oldest cat.

My parents bought her for me shortly after I left exH with just DS and had to leave my cat behind. Once I'd found a flat and we were settled they turned up with this tiny, stripey ball of fur.

She 13 now. I love her soooooo much!

Blerg Sun 17-Dec-17 13:47:53

Roller skates. I was 28 😄 Joined a roller derby team.

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Sun 17-Dec-17 13:52:21

I was given a gift bag filled with little stuff (a cd, stud earrings, a little book etc) that probably wasn’t worth much to anyone else. But each gift had a little post it note explaining why they’d brought that or what it was about the thing that had made them think of me. It was so thoughtful and made me feel special

ACubed Sun 17-Dec-17 13:56:10

Huge telescope! You can see the craters of the moon really clearly, it blew my mind. And on holiday we found Jupiter with all it's moons lined up next to it.

Brakebackcyclebot Sun 17-Dec-17 14:00:08

A hot air balloon ride. It was AMAZING. Like drifting along in a dreamworld.

DollyLlama Sun 17-Dec-17 14:26:02

Huge shock considering my username... but walking llamas!

I’m llama obsessed and my ex bought me an experience day and it was amazing!

So amazing that when me and my DP get married, my hen do will be dragging my friends walking llamas probably kicking and screaming

DollyLlama Sun 17-Dec-17 14:26:51

@IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe that is really sweet! I’d love it if someone did that for me.

Sunnysidegold Sun 17-Dec-17 14:34:26

One Christmas my mum got it spot on.she had found a beautiful bracelet that was made of different stars and I'm star mad.they were in shades of turquoise which was my favourite colour. It was so perfect for me!

ElleMcFearsome Sun 17-Dec-17 15:47:11

A Levi red tab denim jacket. I was 12 and we didn't buy or wear "things with labels". I remember sleeping in it in case DM decided to return it. We also didn't have masses of money and I had an idea that it must have been quite spendy. Honestly, best present ever. I have it still (I'm 40) and the DDs fight over who gets to wear it as it's now 'vintage' grin

SpringSnowdrop Sun 17-Dec-17 15:55:07

A horse! We grew up together and I spent almost every waking hour with her. she was the kindest horse I’ve known and she was really greedy but if ever I was upset she’d stop grazing and just let me hug her. She’d also let me read my book with her when she was sunbathing and it was so special how much we shared over the years.

scrivette Sun 17-Dec-17 16:00:56

A handmade quilt from my Auntie when I got married. It is absolutely beautiful and so much work must have gone into making it. Every time I look at it it makes me happy.

dementedma Sun 17-Dec-17 16:05:20

My friend travelled to Israel and brought me back a pebble from the bed of the Sea of Galilee. I treasure it.

multivac Sun 17-Dec-17 16:08:51

This isn't my story; but I wanted to share it here...

Owletterocks Sun 17-Dec-17 16:14:28

A Commodore 64. They are bringing out a retro version next year and I really want one!

Redyoyo Sun 17-Dec-17 16:42:12

A red Phillips roller getto blaster I was 8 I wanted it so bad. My mum had told me Santa might not be able to get that one. I can remember so vividly opening the livingroom door and seeing it! I hope my kids get a memory like this!

TroysMammy Sun 17-Dec-17 16:47:09

Zoo Keeper experience.

disneydatknee Sun 17-Dec-17 16:59:34

A reversible Cinderella doll, hand knitted by my dads cousin. She started off as grubby Cinderella then you flipped her skirt over and underneath was the princess Cinderella. It was absolutely beautiful. I was about 7/8 back then and I was so touched that she had taken all that time to make me something.

DancesWithOtters Sun 17-Dec-17 17:02:22

@TroysMammy I was coming on here to say the exact same thing!

Beat day ever!

chocolateworshipper Sun 17-Dec-17 17:32:34

One that didn't cost a lot, but my Dad bought it for me (he NEVER buys presents) because he saw it and knew I'd love it. It's too revealing to say what it is, but it's silly in a hilarious sort of way.

eloisesparkle Sun 17-Dec-17 18:45:53

Gold earrings with tiny diamond chips in them from a really high end jewellers when my bf ( now dh) had hardly two pennies to rub together. A total surprise.

oldsilver Sun 17-Dec-17 18:59:30

A swing. My granpa led me to the window - we had to huh on it to get rid of the icefans. And there it was - my swing, and it was snowing! I was 5/6, it all seemed so magical. I swung on that swing daily throughout my childhood.

Sadly at over 50 I can no longer go on a swing, makes me feel sick. Goddam growing up!

The biggest and bestest Christmas present though has to be DS - who I gave birth to on Christmas Day! Nearly 12 years later, I still quite like him fgrin

The next was a mate of DH who gave me a big tub of sticky oozy brie and a flagon of cider after giving birth. Both things I craved whilst pregnant and he remembered.

cocktailhour Sun 17-Dec-17 20:05:57

A toss up between the year Santa gave me a fabulous toy for a bedridden child (I was really ill that Christmas) which kept me entertained all morning until well enough to crawl downstairs for some family time, and a gorgeous Lulu Guinness bag given about a decade ago by then bf (now dh).

The latter was quite spendy compared to our household income at the time (he'd really saved up) and the former was pretty cheap, but they were both immensely thoughtful and much treasured as a result.

goose1964 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:00:17

A holiday in Barbados,went to the cricket on my 40th

Trills Sun 17-Dec-17 21:01:23

A kindle, coincidentally a couple of months before I changed to a job with a long commute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now