Talk

Advanced search

Cooking the veg

(12 Posts)
wasthataburp Tue 12-Dec-17 19:04:11

Do you think it would be ok to actually roast the veg the night before and then just put in oven on Xmas day to heat up just before serving? I'm talking about roast potatoes in goose fat with rosemary and garlic and also carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes in honey.

Would make it so much easier and not worry about everything being ready at same time when we are eating starters etc.

Anyone actually do this?

Thanks

EdinaMonsoon Tue 12-Dec-17 19:06:51

Not absolutely certain but I don't see why not. Sounds like a good idea, actually so I'm interested to hear the more knowledgeable consensus on this smile

MrsPestilence Tue 12-Dec-17 19:08:32

Reheated roasted veg are alright not great.

Starters ready to go, meat out oven onto chopping board (still in tin) tin foil 3 tea towels leave to stand, pump up oven temp tatties in, should all be ready when you have relaxed and enjoyed starters.

LemonysSnicket Tue 12-Dec-17 19:09:56

Everything except the potato’s should be fine. Reheated roasties are grim.

silverrose Tue 12-Dec-17 19:11:28

I do all the veg prep the day before, including parboiling. I don't do the actual roasting until Christmas day as I don't think it would be as crisp when reheated.

NotCitrus Tue 12-Dec-17 19:42:47

Red cabbage reheats well, other veg doesn't IMO (though I still cook enough to live on leftovers until at least the 29th!). I may parboil potatoes and/or parsnips, but to be honest I quite enjoy doing all the cooking on Christmas Day, singing along to Classic FM as dc pop in and out with their stocking toys.

Openup41 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:05:00

I hosted friends recently and worried about keeping food hot as I placed them in serving dishes. I placed cling film over each food item which worked perfectly to keep the heat in.

CheeseGirl4 Tue 12-Dec-17 20:09:31

Honestly? Anything other than red cabbage will be a bit crap. Prep the night before, certainly, but they don't reheat successfully.

SillyBub Tue 12-Dec-17 20:13:55

Another one who preps all the veg on Xmas Eve but roasts/cooks on the day. It's no bother once you've removed the joint to rest, to whack the temperature up on the oven and roast the veg.

nooka Tue 12-Dec-17 20:18:02

I've part roasted potatoes the day before and then blasted them on the day because I didn't have space to roast the potatoes and meat at the same time. It worked really well. I got the idea from my Mary Berry Christmas book - recipe here

DameFanny Tue 12-Dec-17 20:30:04

Red cabbage is nicest when it's been cooked at least a day before. Roast veg would be a bit soft if you did them in advance. Sprouts should have gone on already grin

wasthataburp Tue 12-Dec-17 20:49:38

Thanks Nooka - I'm definitely going to do the Mary berry roast potatoes on that link!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: