Talk

Advanced search

What to buy for superstar friend?

(16 Posts)
upthewolves Tue 12-Dec-17 10:00:58

I have a friend who has been really good to me this year. I live overseas away from all my family and had a baby 6 weeks ago. I was really worried about how my 2 year old would cope and who would look after her when I went into hospital. My friend is in her 50s and has no DC. She befriended my very shy DD over several months, came over with art and craft stuff, knitted an outfit for her favourite bunny, took her out for picnics, then came and stayed over while I had my section and took her to daycare the next day. She hired a car seat for a month and even quit smoking so she could look after my kids - she has smoked since she was 14! She's also helped since I had the baby.

I would really like to get her a nice Christmas present from us to show how much we appreciate her. She would not want anything expensive (I think it would stress her out in fact). I thought about a photo of DD in a nice frame but then wondered if that was odd as we aren't related! She hates having her own picture taken so can't do one of her and DD.

Anyone have any ideas?? She is an unusual character and a bit hard to buy for. Not interested in clothes, jewelry etc. Loves crafting, gardening and animals.

reluctantbrit Tue 12-Dec-17 10:05:34

I think a frame would be nice. Or an ornament for the garden maybe? Depending how you feel and cope, you could maybe do a simple tree ornament from saltdough with your DD or go to a pottery paining store and do something?

DD has a "fairy godmother", an acquaintance from my MIL and we send pictures on a regular basis together with little letters from DD.

beansbananas Tue 12-Dec-17 10:07:02

If she is interested in arts and crafts then maybe it would be nicer to get your daughter to make something. This could be a necklace made of beads or pasta, hand prints in a frame, a painting, homemade Xmas card or tree decoration etc. Feels like it would be more appropriate and meaningful as they do this kind of activity together.

december212 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:20:05

It sounds like your friend is almost a grandmother type figure in your daughters life. She would probably really appreciate a framed photo though you could also include one of crafts suggestions with the photo?

moregingerbreadplease Tue 12-Dec-17 10:53:00

What about a voucher to a pottery painting for you, friend and your dd?

upthewolves Tue 12-Dec-17 11:29:29

Thanks so much for these excellent suggestions! I particularly like the tree decoration suggestion. Will have a look for ideas online because I'm not particularly crafty myself!

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Tue 12-Dec-17 12:33:45

She sounds so lovely. That's made me feel happy halo

caffelatte100 Tue 12-Dec-17 16:16:13

I would be splashing a bit more cash for such a good friend who's done so much for me, and I would also get some of these ideas as well.
A voucher for a lovely meal or outing or something similar. I like the crabtree and Evelyn hand cream and scrub for gardeners. Pottery painting vouchers a nice idea too.

goldangel Tue 12-Dec-17 17:21:00

She sounds lovely. What about a pampering day at the spa, massage, facial, manicure... and maybe personalised framed drawing/painting from the dc?

Whinesalot Tue 12-Dec-17 17:26:34

A plant for the garden, maybe there might be a rose or something named after dd?
A zoo ticket for her and dd?

Eringray Tue 12-Dec-17 17:54:30

A photograph of both of you in a beautiful frame would be nice plus a voucher for a good foot massage or spa.

GeekyWombat Tue 12-Dec-17 19:38:28

A mug with handprints of both DCs on, filled with nice coffee / chocs / hot chocolate sachet / Christmas tea to unwrap and then vouchers as previous posters mentioned.

I’m sure she’d be thrilled with a photo, but if it feels a bit odd a mug is lovely. Everyone needs an extra mug, and every time she uses it she can remember how much you all love her.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 12-Dec-17 20:46:18

I would also write a card explaining just how much she means to you.

Merrilymerrilymerrily Tue 12-Dec-17 20:50:34

If you do do the decoration, white clay dough is much nicer looking than salt dough, and easy, or your dd could decorate some plain baubles using stick on gems, glitter etc?

Flopjustwantscoffee Wed 13-Dec-17 00:10:38

Agree with merrily, I am very non arty but I made a cornflower based clay and me and my son (then two) stamped shaped out with cookie cutters, then made holes with a stew and baked. They actual looked really lovely (by my standards) but were simple enough for a two year old to have proper input into making them

badg3r Wed 13-Dec-17 00:29:21

Fimo would work well for decoration making too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: