Talk

Advanced search

What is the worst Christmas you have ever had?

(99 Posts)
Comedyshortsgamer Mon 11-Dec-17 22:44:09

I would say one of my first ones I remember being stuck in a hotel as our home was flooded at the time

eitak22 Mon 11-Dec-17 22:46:53

There was the year that my family (DM,DD and me) were all so ill we essentially cancelled christmas day and didn't open presents or have lunch and took the phone off the hook too. Think that was probably the worst, we did recover by Boxing day so had christmas then with my grandparents but remember really feeling ill.

Brandnewstart Mon 11-Dec-17 22:53:08

Three years ago. Just found out my ex was having an affair and he couldn't 'decide' who to choose. I got my shit together after Christmas and told him to sod off but that Christmas was spent crying, secretly smoking and trying to make sure my children enjoyed it. My poor parents came down and I went to bed about 8pm!!

the year i was forgotten maybe. I had literally nothing to unwrap while everyone else had piles of gifts. I hadn't asked for anything or made any fuss but i was a kid and it stung and still stings now, I have never understood how i could have been completely forgotten about just because i made no demands. <shrug>I dunno though, there were worse ones than that but i actively choose to block them out as the memory of them does me no good and doesnt serve me any purpose in the here and now

chiaseeddisapointmentagain Mon 11-Dec-17 22:59:16

I was in refuge after leaving my partner. My father collected me on Christmas Eve, beat me up and threw me out at the side of the motor way.
Police took me back to refuge.
I sat on my own over Christmas and new year with two black eyes.

Grimmfebruary Mon 11-Dec-17 22:59:30

Probably the year I was really ill as a child and on antibiotics and my mum woke me up to open my presents (she has said with hindsight she wishes she had let me sleep!) every photo I'm asleep on the sofa whilst my sister holds court to the entire family (grandparents, dad, aunt and uncle) who were living with us after a fire at their house and my uncle had just had emergency surgery on top of that 😂

swapsicles Mon 11-Dec-17 23:08:59

Husband at the time got in about half 6 in the morning as he was "busy" at work and couldn't leave any earlier.
He kept nodding off on the sofa as dd (3) was opening her presents (all bought by me) then went for a nap.
Came back down a little while later, gave me a cheap unwrapped gift reduced from the shop near work.
I then put dinner on and he nipped out to get petrol, came back 2 hours later saying he had to go and "clear his head"
Basically he was with his bit on the side all this time, I kind of knew but just didn't want to iyswim. Worst of all I had to go to his parents house that evening and play happy families 😕.
We did properly split a short while afterwards but it still stings.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Mon 11-Dec-17 23:21:27

The first one after my husband died when the children were surrounded by lots of toys, from very thoughtful people, and said, "This is the best Christmas ever!" It was such a surreal day. New Year's Eve was worse because I could no longer say that he had died 'this year'. Not sure why it mattered - maybe it made me feel further away from him?

DrMadelineMaxwell Mon 11-Dec-17 23:29:02

I get it, Survival. My DDad died 2 years ago, late Nov. I got through Christmas as my Mum was proud and wanted to host the Christmas dinner that he normally did.

But I found NYE so difficult for that reason. It was the first year he wouldn't be there.

noshit Mon 11-Dec-17 23:38:34

DM passed away on 21st December, 2 years ago. How we got through Christmas and New Year I will never know. Had appointment with the registrar on Christmas Eve @ 3pm. Then went to Waitrose. confused Can't really say I'm looking forward to this Christmas. Bittersweet.

FortyFacedFuckers Mon 11-Dec-17 23:57:43

3 years ago I had just had a miscarriage after 8 years of TTC and it was a very close family members last Christmas (terminal cancer) I was utterly heart broken and felt under so much pressure to be happy and have the most perfect and amazing Christmas.

73kittycat73 Mon 11-Dec-17 23:57:49

Wow, some of you stories on here are so heart braking. I'm sorry any of you had to have the experiences you did.
So sorry you were forgotten OneNightTimeMenaceStrikesBack I can't imagine how you coped with that as a child. I hope you've had lots of nice Christmases since then to make up for it?
I hope you all have a wonderful, peaceful, Christmas this year.

Dionysus78 Tue 12-Dec-17 00:03:58

When my daughter was 2 months old, I was a new single mother. Me and the brother and sister went to my mothers. Neither would acknowledge my daughter's existence. When my mum took her from me, so I could get some Christmas dinner, my brother said: "Why have you got to hold her? She's Dionysus' baby!"

AdelicaArundel Tue 12-Dec-17 00:10:14

sad for you Dionysus

My worst Christmas was the year that my STBXH had contact with our DC and didn't bring them back as discussed and planned.

So I cooked Christmas dinner for all of us...and sat and waited for them....and sat and sat....eventually hearing that DC were having dinner at his girlfriend's parents house.

So I sat alone, all day, without any company, or any option to go elsewhere.

It was awful.

DC returned just before bedtime, and I had to try to keep a brave face and be glad that they had a lovely meal with a group of strangers (strange to them).

Migraleve Tue 12-Dec-17 00:16:02

One year my mother decided to go full on pshyco at my step dad. We were supposed to be going out to his parents (who I adored) but instead she fucked off upstairs and he sat on the sofa baffled for a few hours.

I cooked myself a fondue boil in the bag fish in parsley sauce vom

Dionysus78 Tue 12-Dec-17 00:20:07

AdelicaArundel

I am bawling my fucking eyes out at that story.

BrizzleDrizzle Tue 12-Dec-17 00:31:02

The one when my mother didn't know who I was.

MsGameandWatching Tue 12-Dec-17 00:37:01

There's been a few. When I was married to my ex H, Christmas was just an excuse for him to get totally hammered from the moment he finished work till the night before he went back. One Christmas he had an argument with a family member and when I wouldn't take his side he pushed me down a flight of stairs, I had a massive lump and cut on my shin. The lump stayed for months. Another time after we had split he came to see the kids on Boxing Day and decided to do a BBQ in the garden hmm. I said no and he started screaming at me and calling me a fat cunt in front of my children. I had to call the police to get him removed. I never looked forward to Christmas when married to him.

RestingButchFace Tue 12-Dec-17 00:41:17

My much loved Aunty died on the 23rd of Decamber 2013. My DM and I had cared for her at home through her terminal cancer. It was the first Christmas that dd2 was aware of the whole Santa stuff and my DB and his partner were coming for Christmas for the first time in 10 years hoping to see my Aunt before she passed. Having to make that call to my brother as they were boarding they were boarding their flight to let him know it was too late was horrible. I did consider waiting til they arrived but my Mum was worried they would turn up at the same time as the private ambulance to take her away. Christmas has never been the same.

theliterarycat Tue 12-Dec-17 00:46:18

Any spent with awful Sil

Janetjanetjanet Tue 12-Dec-17 00:49:39

flowers to all.

Cupoteap Tue 12-Dec-17 06:00:57

Xmas after my dad passed away it had only been a month, I'd also had a mc that I didn't tell my family about as we were going through so much with my dad dying.

Then watching my dc leave on xmas day for the first time after I left exh, so glad I found the strength to leave but that day it really floored me.

cliffdiver Tue 12-Dec-17 06:07:18

Some of these are so sad flowers

Mine was when I had gastroenteritis.

BeautifulLiar Tue 12-Dec-17 06:10:42

Hmm. Either 2010 or 2014.

2010 - I was 20 weeks pregnant but still in quite a new relationship so we spent Christmas with our own families. I had my 2yo with me as well. I threw up and wet myself but my abusive mum wouldn't let me wash my clothes as you "don't use the washing machine at Christmas!"

Apparently I was doing it on purpose to wind her up. She was screaming at me for not putting two nappies in the bin (I was bathing DS at the time). She made me leave him unattended in the bath so she could scream abuse at me and throw soiled nappies at my pregnant stomach.

I locked myself in the bathroom with DS and she was banging on the door shouting that she'd been in touch with my violent ex and he was planning to murder me. Then unbeknown to me she put my wet clothes and the nappies in my car and that all froze solid overnight. I only had pyjamas to wear. Just wanted to leave but my car was trapped in by three cars belonging to pissed people. I swore I'd never go back for Christmas and I never have.

2014 - newly married (3 years ago today actually!) and in an absolutely blissful bubble. Couldn't wait for Christmas. Then (now ex) DH went out for his Christmas work do. He came back in the early hours of Christmas Eve and started being verbally abusive to me. I told him to sleep downstairs and grabbed the duvet off him. He went fucking mental, strangling me and shoving my head down into the pillow so that I couldn't breathe. I remember thinking I'm going to die and my children will find my body on Christmas Eve sad

Touch wood, this year is looking a lot more promising!

MrsDilber Tue 12-Dec-17 06:24:06

The one after my DD died of cancer. And every single one, ever since. I hate Christmas and fake it (I hope, successfully).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now