Talk

Advanced search

What are you buying the geek in your life?

(25 Posts)
Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 07-Dec-17 09:30:16

DH is a geek, of the superheroes, graphic novels, sci-fi and war hammer variety.

I'm stuck what to buy him for his stocking- I've already bought him an ipad so nothing £££ needed.

In previous years I've got him Lego sets, graphic novels, funk pop figures, geeky tshirts. But inspiration is thin on the ground at the minute. 😬

Help me mumsnet, you're my only hope!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 07-Dec-17 09:41:00

Have a look on EMP and truffle shuffle lots of geeky things on there. I spent hours looking at all the lovely things I wanted 😂😂

glitterbiscuits Thu 07-Dec-17 09:48:48

It may be a bit late to get one but a Loot Crate is like a selection box for geeky things.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 07-Dec-17 09:54:05

THE trouble with dh is he already has a lot of stuff so a blind bag type thing is a bit of a risk.

As is buying graphic novels as he reads load and online so I have no way to sneak a peek at what he's read. 🙄 I used to be really good at finding cool stuff he hadn't read yet.

Stefoscope Thu 07-Dec-17 11:02:16

Is he into the painting side of Warhammer? If he is, you could get a selection of brushes and paints. If he likes card/board games, there's Marvel Legendary Deck Building Game or DC Comics Deck Building game which is fairly easy and quick to play. It comes with about a million expansions too, so you'd be set for future presents if he enjoys it!

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 07-Dec-17 12:29:20

There are brushes and paints galore in our spare room. 😩 So none of that, can't be buying presents that irritate me! 😂

Will look into the marvel/ dc deck building game tho. 🍷

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 07-Dec-17 12:50:54

Hmm that board game looks good but too £ for now. Will save it for his Birthday.

Ideally smaller stuff under £15 would be good. 😄

Stompythedinosaur Thu 07-Dec-17 12:53:33

Can he make a wish list of graphic novels? I often get dp a graphic novel by one of his preferred authors that he hasn't already read.

I'm getting dp a one handed keyboard this year, but that's probably more of a main present.

I got by brother a padded metal box for carrying warhammer figures one year which went down well.

I've also had success with getting a t-shirt to match the one a favourite character wears (but I had to get it shipped from the US).

thatstoast Thu 07-Dec-17 13:04:41

Geeky stuff is so expensive. Got DH some goblins and a battle mat for warhammer and that's the budget gone already. Is he into Lego? They have some small superhero things.

OytheBumbler Thu 07-Dec-17 13:13:37

How about a Millennium Falcon model kit?
model

It comes on sprues and has to be painted like the warhammer stuff.

ILikeyourHairyHands Thu 07-Dec-17 13:20:29

As a science fiction fan I'm always pleased to get a yearly anthology in my stocking, this is always very warmly welcomed.

ImSoExhausted Thu 07-Dec-17 13:21:12

Ive got my DH a pocket microscope by the National Geographic and dehydrated ice cream by NASA (both from Amazon!) for his stocking. He's a science nerd 🤓

Sadik Thu 07-Dec-17 14:51:29

Has he read The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace & Babbage? Would be perfect for any graphic novel fan / geek if they've not already read it (and while some of the comics are available online, its still definitely worth having the book)

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 07-Dec-17 14:55:28

Small Lego gets stolen by the dcs and ends up in gen pop with everything reappropriated 😂 It's much harder to sneak off with the bigger sets!

Keep the ideas coming- there's a wide variety of geeks out there!

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Thu 07-Dec-17 15:08:36

DH isn't getting anything too geeky this year (he chose a steampunky watch a couple of months back which has taken most of his budget), DB is getting a warhammer painting set which he requested.

What about a magazine subscription? DH has a few about Warhammer and painting miniatures (I can't remember what they're called)

ILikeyourHairyHands Thu 07-Dec-17 15:52:01

How about Cthulhu Fluxx, or any of the other Fluxx card games, great fun and loads of geeky themes to choose from.

TheHeraldOfAndraste Thu 07-Dec-17 15:59:47

For nerdy DP:
Star wars Cantina band on tour t shirt.
Brown leather jacket plus Serenity patches to turn into Mal Reynolds browncoat
Mini SNES

Nerdy partner of DPs Sis:
Jedi drone that looks like it's being controlled by the force.

Nerdy friend:
The art of Dragon age inquisition
Tyrion "I drink and I know things t shirt".

ArcheryAnnie Thu 07-Dec-17 16:27:27

Seconding The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace & Babbage. It's a two-for-one as far as geekiness goes - it's a graphic novel AND it's about the birth of computing science. (And it has Ada Lovelace and Charles Babbage fighting crime together, and it's incredibly funny.)

SeaToSki Thu 07-Dec-17 16:32:34

Magic the Gathering cards. Risk Star Wars version or Monopoly a geeky version. Does he like bacon? My geeks like bacon and there are loads of fun gifts with a bacon theme. Also you can loads of tshirts with geeky slogans. Geeky jigsaw puzzle. Those metal puzzle ring things you have to untangle. Rubix cube

GrumpyOldFucker Thu 07-Dec-17 16:43:13

This Warhammer game is newly out and he makes that not have it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076DNR7WY/ref=ohauii_detailpageo033_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 07-Dec-17 20:38:51

Ordered a disc world tshirt

Thinking of a K2SO funko pop and a book. Not sure what book yet.

Games are either ones he's got already or a bit more than I'd like to spend so will go on the Birthday list.

Agoddessonamountaintop Thu 07-Dec-17 20:55:45

Sadik that book looks fantastic, thanks! Just ordered it for mathematician DS flowers.

secmumlaley Thu 07-Dec-17 21:04:53

Have you seen the wooden geek? I've seen them on Facebook and tempted to get the hubby a bb8 phone stand for his desk! They do other bits too!

Sadik Thu 07-Dec-17 21:25:48

It's a fabulous book goddess - my favourite of 2017 (15 y/o dd loved it too smile )

goose1964 Thu 07-Dec-17 21:42:34

You can get a gadget that turns your mobile into a microscope.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: