Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Where to get CHEAP Christmas decorations?

(19 Posts)
Basseting Thu 07-Dec-17 09:25:30

Have not decorated yet. Need to do so this weekend.
I am not feeling Christmassy at all but have two children so need to.
Dug stuff out of shed last night and most of it has been got at by mice. (rural area, landlord wont help, ongoing issue )
I am broke.
Where can I get cheap decorations, given I have to almost start from scratch? (the nice fake tree is fine and clean looking but that's all)

AnnabelleLecter Thu 07-Dec-17 09:27:45

Charity shops

ChristmasFamilyJoy Thu 07-Dec-17 09:28:47

Poundland, Home Bargains, B&M if you have access to any of these.

Basseting Thu 07-Dec-17 09:41:33

Thank you. I am rural and about a 30mile trip to the shops. About 50 to any of chain ones.
Is there anything cheap online I could get delivered, do you know?
(after the year I've had I'd be happy to pull a duvet over my head for Christmas but not fair on children so need to make effort)

Uptownfuckuup Thu 07-Dec-17 09:45:54

Wilko

LtGreggs Thu 07-Dec-17 09:46:11

White lights, loads of dec's made from pasta on a string and sprayed gold. Go and cut some greenery for free (hedgerows, fir tree clippings, ivy, Holly with berries if you can find some ok to take) and drape about, add a few white candles (even if you don't light them)

Dim the main lights. Will look lovely.

PhilODox Thu 07-Dec-17 09:48:22

Do you have popping corn and needle/thread? (And handy helpful children?)
Pop corn, thread onto strings, lovely homespun tree (and they can scoff some whilst making the strings too).

TrickyD Thu 07-Dec-17 10:08:16

LtGreggs, that reminded me of the Year of the Gold Pasta Bows, 1981, I still come across the odd one lurking in the bottom of a decoration box.

BertieBotts Thu 07-Dec-17 10:11:03

Amazon if you want delivered I reckon. Just check delivery times as some of the super cheap stuff is coming from overseas.

Prob unlikely but if you have an ikea anywhere near their stuff is great value.

molifly Thu 07-Dec-17 10:14:54

The range are really cheap

Bearbehind Thu 07-Dec-17 10:19:16

I don't think I'd go for food based decorations if there is a known problem with mice.

The pound shops all have lots of cheap and cheerful stuff.

BertieBotts Thu 07-Dec-17 10:19:53

www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-Decorations/b/ref=amb_link_1?node=3274003031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=f4669076-6b98-4683-8d34-d9429c02bdac&pf_rd_p=f4669076-6b98-4683-8d34-d9429c02bdac&pf_rd_r=KNR77Y14MWEF7SCEQ09J&pf_rd_r=KNR77Y14MWEF7SCEQ09J&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_t=101&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=3274003031

Sorry for awful link!

PhilODox Thu 07-Dec-17 10:20:56

blush Good point bear! But at least she wouldn't have to worry about storing them till next year grin

BluthsFrozenBananas Thu 07-Dec-17 10:21:29

Paper chains are cheap, fill a lot of space and are easy enough for even small children to help make. You can get packets ready cut but they’re dead easy to make using strips of wrapping paper and a glue stick.

Basseting Thu 07-Dec-17 10:31:15

Oh, thanks!
Paperchains a great idea, dd will enjoy making them.
I would have made iced ginger biscuits and popcorn chains but I am already apparently supporting the entire mouse population of a County, so maybe not.
Rodents have even eating the wiring on the lights so they need replacing. They have some supercheap ones on Amazon, thankyou!
Cutting greenery is free and great idea.
White candles sounds nice.
You have cheered me up no end, thankyou.
fsmile

ShowMeTheElf Thu 07-Dec-17 10:33:53

How old are your DCs?
I they are up to it: paper angels, snowflakes etc. If younger, paper chains.
We had an amazing Christmas the year we did this: the Dc invited their friends in to see. It was so personal to them.
Angels from a roll of plain metallic wrapping paper: chains and snowflakes from plain white printer paper! Cheap as chips and really magical..
Have you seen the movie Elf? Basically do to your house what he does to the toy department at the department store!
paper angel to hang on the tree

Annelind Thu 07-Dec-17 10:34:18

Look at old clothes, bits of material etc; make templates of bells, santas, Christmassy shapes out of cardboard, draw round them onto said material (kids can help!) and hang a string of these. Trés chic! fgrin

Bumbumtaloo Thu 07-Dec-17 10:34:31

B & Q had a box of 25 decorations for £1, not sure if it’s online or if they will still have any

Basseting Thu 07-Dec-17 10:52:16

I just got 3 sets of plain white lights on Amazon for £10 (free delivery tomorrow) woo hoo! Will look at B&Q bargains too.
Older child is dyspraxic so zero chance of making deccies but dd might be persuaded. Like the idea of papersnowflakes on windows too.
Cant make holes in walls (rented) so light stuff we can blutack up sounds perfect smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now