Talk

Advanced search

Help! Gifts for someone in a refuge

(10 Posts)
dizzygirl1 Thu 07-Dec-17 07:36:13

I've signed up to give a present to a mum and baby in a women's refuge.... but now I can't think what to get them! I'm not sure what wouldn't be too rubbish especially after everything they have been through. Any ideas? Any and all help appreciated!

frazzled3ds Thu 07-Dec-17 08:21:06

Maybe a basket of things that are practical but with some nice bits in too e.g. baby wipes, a small cuddly toy for baby, muslin cloths, a pack of nappies (if you know the right size), some biscuits or chocolates, sanitary items or a nice shower gel and body lotion, gift card for somewhere like Boots, notebook and pen so new memories can be recorded.....

Maybe the refuge could give you some ideas too as they'll have a better idea of the needs and wants of their residents.

MrsMotherHen Thu 07-Dec-17 08:23:54

The basket idea is great maybe a nice blankie and small cuddly toy, johnsons baby bedtime range. For the mum i would go with some lovely chocolates and nibbly bits.

This is a lovely idea how do you "sign up"

PrimeraVez Thu 07-Dec-17 09:10:21

I probably wouldn't get nappies and bath stuff for the baby in case they have allergies (eg Pampers wipes and Johnson's bath stuff gave my DS really bad eczema) Maybe things like soft books for the baby, a lovely blanket, a rattle, a nice teething ring etc.

Ollivander84 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:15:36

If you wanted to give toiletries then child's farm (Asda and boots) and water wipes are probably the best bet

Saladd0dger Thu 07-Dec-17 09:17:35

A nice hot water bottle to snuggle with in the hamper?

Timeforanamochango Thu 07-Dec-17 09:30:17

My sister was in one over Christmas 3 years ago and she got so many gifts from kind strangers it was heartwarming! The best thing she got was toys for the baby, primark gift cards, chocolate.

When you’re in a refuge you’re not necessarily broke, most will have bathing/essentials as you get your full benefits it’s just the extra luxury bits that may be lacking so in my experiance, it’s nicer to get some fun bits to open!

So nice of you to do, When you’re in a situation like that, seeing kindness in strangers really can mean the world fgrin

dizzygirl1 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:39:08

I was thinking along the ideas of treats rather than necessities (will pop some of those in separately anway)
I was thinking of an adult colouring book, pencils, chocolates, book, hot water bottle kind of things? Not sure if it will be a bit silly or not?!
For baby I already have a couple of age appropriate toys and was thinking of blanket, cuddle teddy kind of thing.
It is a local sign up but I will see if there is any national details anywhere.
Thank you for the ideas, it broke my heart when I saw who I was asked to give to as you know what a hard time they are having as a new mum let alone with needing to escape to a refuge 😣

DontCallMeJohnBoy Thu 07-Dec-17 09:46:39

Maybe fleecy blanket for mum as well, something she can curl up with whilst baby sleeps and have a hot drink? Nice mug maybe as well.

Goldenhandshake Thu 07-Dec-17 12:49:06

I would love to sign up to something like this.

I'd go for treats/luxuries, refuges will help her with basics, but its those nice extras. I'd suggest:

Nice fluffy slippers/slipper socks
Facemask
Bubble bath/bath bombs
Decent pen and notebook or a photo album for their new memories
Nice moisturiser/face cream
Chocolates

For baby i'd get some small age appropriate toys and a nice Christmassy book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now