Talk

Advanced search

my new fairy lights are too white

(23 Posts)
ssd Tue 05-Dec-17 23:26:46

they are almost blue they are so white

just got them out of sainsbury's and I dont like them, they are just too bright, think they are bog standard led lights in white

I didn't get warm white as I think they can be too yellow

god what a dilemma

CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 05-Dec-17 23:48:38

It's a real problem with modern LED lights. The coloured ones are too livid and the white too cold and bright. I agree about the "warm" being too yellow.

The manufacturers need to change something. Old style lights are MUCH prettier but I keep stopping myself actually buying some vintage ones as they're not very safe.

First World Problems!

MinorRSole Wed 06-Dec-17 00:11:08

We got stunning lights at lidl, coloured though. White are lovely but dc prefer the colour

ssd Wed 06-Dec-17 08:20:08

exactly cheap

its the old ones I want

BlackHillsofDakota Wed 06-Dec-17 08:52:05

We bought white ones at the weekend, all 1000 of them. Took ages putting them on the tree before turning them on. They are so bright you can see them from space. They literally burn your retinas if you look at them for too long! I just don't have the energy to take them all off the tree but I'm not happy when I look at them.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Wed 06-Dec-17 08:55:05

My lights are way too yellow...they don't go with my lights from last year, at all. My dc think I'm mad for letting it annoy me so much. But I can't help it...warm white is yellow...end of !!

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 06-Dec-17 16:54:21

Whoever stocks a mass of old fashioned, soft, twinkly lights next Christmas will do very well.
I did find some reasonable warm white lights last year, but I've got more than one set - white and coloured LEDs - which never actually went on any tree, since they were so harsh and garish.

As for those hard blue LED lights, they are the completely un-Christmassy work of Satan IMO and just remind me of my father's expression about anyone in fear and trembling - 'shitting little blue lights'.

goose1964 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:30:17

The problem with retro lights is getting the replacement bulbs. We've had to ditch loads of lights because bulbs has blown and couldn't be replaced

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 06-Dec-17 21:21:38

I've just googled and it seems you can paint LED"s with magic markers...they sanded the bulbs a bit first. Might dull down the brightness a bit?

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 06-Dec-17 21:23:27

I'm going to have a go anyway...I have some permanent markers in pink, green and blue....if it doesn't work I might try something else!

fromtheshires Wed 06-Dec-17 22:18:53

Post your results cheap would love to see

StandardLampski Wed 06-Dec-17 22:30:35

Can I make you all very jealous? I'm still on my old proper bulb lights ..... I live in death of them not working though! Have 5 sets and have had them for years ... so not hopeful... only a couple if spare bulbs left.. I've point blank refused to use LED ones, my mum thinks I'm nuts..

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 06-Dec-17 22:35:42

Shires I will! I am in Australia so it's morning here...I have all day to mess around with them! grin

Standard you can probably get spare bulbs to match on Ebay....there's loads of that sort of thing there! Have a look now so you're prepared if the unthinkable happens!

chocolatespiders Wed 06-Dec-17 22:37:20

Are magic markers coloured?

Janetsadick Wed 06-Dec-17 22:38:06

I hate the LED ones.

Have 3 working proper sets and about 10 sets which I use for spare bulbs.

NashvilleQueen Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:37

I got gorgeous copper/gold coloured fairy lights at local garden centre. They’re not anything I’ve seen before. Love them.

ShiftyMcGifty Wed 06-Dec-17 22:40:03

You need to get the small thin copper wire lights. They’re tiny but emit the perfect “old warm yellow white” glow

CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 07-Dec-17 06:52:35

Right....I tried the magic markers but the colours were too pale. So I applied a layer of acrylic paint! I did each bulb...with a small brush. didn't take long and it looks MUCH better.

I didn't aim for complete coverage because that would take ages as it's a smooth surface...but just a little layer which is transparent in places. It's really taken that brightness down and added a nice, pink l
As to safety I'm not sure but they don't emit any heat and I didn't get paint near the edge...where the cord is....

ssd Thu 07-Dec-17 08:10:32

I got the warm white lad ones and they look better on the tree than the white ones

still mega bright though

ssd Thu 07-Dec-17 08:11:00

lad blush

LED

Santasbigredbobblehat Thu 07-Dec-17 08:12:42

Can you still buy old style lights?

CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 07-Dec-17 08:23:17

Yes Santa on Ebay...expensive though. Put in "Vintage fairy lights" and if you buy some, choose the ones wihich show them working.

Santasbigredbobblehat Thu 07-Dec-17 09:06:31

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now