Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Eve hosting.

(15 Posts)
RhinoGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 09:16:04

Hi! So due to DHs family all having different plans through december, it’s hard to organise a time where everyone is free. I’ve offered to do an open house xmas eve & put food on. My question is, what would you like to see on an xmas eve spread/buffet? What form of hot food? I don’t really want to put anything out they’ll be eating for dinner the next day, but like the idea of cheeses, puff pastry canapés... any other ideas?

Dottie39 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:18:36

I am having everyone back to mine Christmas Eve and am doing a small buffet followed by mince pies, Yule log, lots of mulled wine, roasted chestnuts etc.

RhinoGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 09:27:17

What do you usually have on your buffet, party food ?

fromtheshires Tue 05-Dec-17 10:05:59

Christmas buffert is usually the below in our household:

Leftover meat from the day
Boiled eggs
Salad
Cheeseboard and biscuits
Sausage rolls (hot)
Mini sausages
Mine Pies / Apple pies
Christmas cake
Trifle
Selection of crisps (pringles / party crisps)
Dips
Rolls
French bread
Pate

Justgivemesomepeace Tue 05-Dec-17 10:11:34

I do a quick buffet on xmas eve for the family to come back to after christingle. I do a ham, baked potatos, salad, cheese/pate/chutneys/bread crackers, pigs in blankets, nibbly bits for the kids. Might do home made sausage rolls this year but I need to practice. The last ones I did were rubbish. Oh a something desserty but just shop bought, no one bothers with that really.

Dottie39 Tue 05-Dec-17 11:11:22

Mulled wine...
Pasta salad, potato salad, cheese board, quiche, warm bread rolls, boiled eggs, falafal, spring rolls... We are veggie.
More mulled wine...
Then mince pies, Yule log...
More mulled wine...
A Bailey's...

TrickyD Tue 05-Dec-17 12:15:28

Bit of a stealth boast here, but we are getting excited so can't help it!

Not hosting, but guesting in Brazil, where our new grandson is being baptised in the local cathedral on Christmas Eve. Traditions are different there, there will be a post-baptism party at the other grandparents' home, lasting into the early hours of Christmas Day.

I asked our dear DIL what to wear to the christening, expecting the sort of outfit one would wear to a wedding here. No! Apparently everyone wears white, and I have seen photos confirming this.

I am taking some Brit Christmas items for family lunch on Christmas day, pudding (that will mystify them!) mince pies, (not home made because I thought bought ones in boxes in little metal jackets will travel better), brandy butter for pud but any other travel friendly suggestions would be most welcome.🎄🇧🇷

Hosting this weekend though, "Christmas dinner". Saturday evening for left-behind family plus one or two extras.

TrickyD Tue 05-Dec-17 12:16:59

Brazilian flag emoji didn't work!

Butterymuffin Tue 05-Dec-17 12:40:01

I'd either go for a party food buffet, or for something like a chilli, curry or lasagne.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 05-Dec-17 12:42:46

I did this meal once on Christmas Eve because I couldn't think of anything else, and now the DC insist on it every year!

Big ham
Macaroni cheese
Baked potatoes
Baked beans

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but it's yummy!

RaininSummer Tue 05-Dec-17 12:44:32

Christmas eve is usually something like chilli or nachos for us to offset the roasted unspicy two days of Christmas. Also chilli is dead easy for a large group.

BiddyPop Tue 05-Dec-17 12:51:04

How many people?
Any dietary issues? Allergies, vegetarians, vegans, pescatarians, "no spice", "no pasta or rice" or other fussiness, DCs (and will they eat everything or need "chicken goujons and oven chips"?)....etc
What spread of time? All eating together or spread out over a couple of hours?
And does it need to be a substantial meal, or more nibbles type of a spread?

If it's lots of people and not too many difficulties dietary-wise, but proper food needed, I'd suggest maybe a lasagna and a cottage pie type of dishes with some salads and crusty French stick to enjoy with it.
If people would eat rice (probably more flexible than pasta), you could have plain boiled rice, and then a choice of 2 sauces: a curry or chilli, and then a plainer sauce (maybe chicken and mushrooms in white wine and cream with tarragon sauce - lots of variations possible to that like using stock instead of wine, or different herbs etc). Again you could have some salad and French stick on the side.

Or a mild and a hotter curry, could do a veggie one as well, and some chutnies, tomato and onion "salsa" (just finely dice lots of tomatoes and some raw onion with a good grinding of pepper), naan breads or puppodums, etc.

Chilli you could put out both a meat and veggie option, with sides of salsa (mild and hotter), guacamole, sour cream or crème fraiche, crusty bread, green salad, tomatoes, cheese etc.

The good thing about most of those is that the sauces (and lasagna, cottage pie, smoked haddock and broccoli pie, chicken and mushrooms with mash or pastry top pie, beef and ale pie etc) can all be made ahead of time and just heated up again (sauces) or cooked (pies) on the day.

If it will be spread out over time, you could do smaller batches and have fresh supplies coming out periodically, and use smaller dishes for pies (each serving 4-6 rather than 8-12 say), or even individual dishes if you have some.

Lots of crisps and dips and a few other cold nibble bits (pate for the bread, the salads etc) and anyone who doesn't want the hot food is happy. Baked potatoes or mash made in advance and heated in the oven in serving dishes also works well for pies, especially if pastry topped.

And then things like mince pies, a fresh fruit salad, bowl of jelly, and a bowl of balls of ice-cream scooped out (to easily serve yourself at the buffet table), and maybe something chocolate like brownies or a yule log (or just bowl of chocolates) would make a nice dessert spread.

Nononononono33 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:09:20

I’m doing xmas eve lunch with a ham, pasta salad, loaded potato skins (some veggie), pigs in blankets, nice bread, salad, a Yule log and cheeseboard. The ham will be ginormous...

RhinoGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 15:51:38

It will be for 7 adult, an 8 month old that will try again & a EBF baby. No allergies, a few that don’t like really spicy things. It’s open house from 12pm onwards, so ideally something I can make and put in the slow cooker and a cold spread that doesn’t include stuffing or pigs in blankets etc

RhinoGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 15:53:46

Try anything* stupid phone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: