Talk

Advanced search

Hostess gift?

(8 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Tue 05-Dec-17 08:48:11

But not food or drink related! I’m struggling to think - help please with some lovely ideas!!

purpleprincess24 Tue 05-Dec-17 08:56:53

Candles

Christmas ornament

Poinsettia for this time of year

Reed diffuser

hotwater Tue 05-Dec-17 09:07:51

My favourite hostess gifts have been beautiful Christmas ornaments

Thesqueezermustghost Tue 05-Dec-17 09:12:58

Crikey, when did 1950s return? Hostess?

BiddyPop Tue 05-Dec-17 09:43:03

Flowers are great - but at this time of year, bring a "ready made" arrangement already in water - not something that needs time to put in water or arrange on arrival. (I know it only takes a couple of minutes, but if you are a frazzled hostess, that can be a couple of minutes you don't have).

Scented candles. Or ones with lovely designs on them.

Plant in a pot - poinsettia are lovely, or mini roses, or ivy arrangements and all are easily found even in supermarkets if you don't have a handy garden centre nearby.

Christmas ornament would be nice - Newbridge silver do lots of different ones between €12-€20 in value, and you could find one that suits the personality/family/hobbies etc of the hostess. Or a good local craftsperson may have nice ones too.

A Christmas bonbon dish or similar? If you can't bring chocolates, the hostess could use it for her own ones.

Seasonal pot-pourri (if you know hostess likes that kind of thing), or reed diffuser.

If you can't bring wine but know they like it, perhaps something like a nice wine pourer or stopper or other accessory? Or similar for cheeseboard, a cheese knife or set of them?

BiddyPop Tue 05-Dec-17 09:46:06

Yes squeezer, hostess gift, as in something to thank the host and hostess for entertaining you at some event. Often these days a bottle of wine will suffice, but not always and it is good to say "thank you" in some way.

As not everyone wants to do the 1950s style handwritten thank you note posted the following day!! fgrin

Thesqueezermustghost Tue 05-Dec-17 09:51:28

No I mean the word hostess. Would you say actress, seamstress etc. Thought that was old fashioned language.

Jungfraujoch Tue 05-Dec-17 10:12:16

Some great ideas thank you. Squeezer, call me old fashioned but yes I do use hostess for a female and host for a male!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now