Talk

Advanced search

Meal planning for 7 days with vegans, vegetarians omnivores and a diabetic

(6 Posts)
EliseC1965 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:24:30

The diabetic is now me (aaargh).
I have 4 stepkids with partners, a wife and a baby, plus my own son coming back from Dad’s between 22 and 29th, at various times.

First visit is eldest ss with wife and brand new baby (awwwww) and they eat pretty much a standard diet with ss quite protein heavy (works out) for 22-26th.

Then 2 sd’s with partners from 26th through to 28th; all 4 are vegan.

Then other ss with gf for just one night on 28th and they’re vegetarian.

My son (17) comes back on the 27th and he’s a picky aspie teenager. (But he will eat sausage rolls and mince pies for England).
My husband eats the same as me now I’ve been diagnosed as type 2 (only 1 week in though). Very low carb.

I’ve just started meal planning and I feel like my head is going to explode. It’s not just evenings, it’s breakfast, lunches and snacky things.

Luckily dh has booked the pub for Xmas day (phew).

But that’s just one meal!

Where do I start?

PurpleDaisies Mon 04-Dec-17 21:31:02

How much cooking do you want to do yourself and how much are you going to buy in?

For the vegans and vegetarian visitors, I’d do a curry one night, a cous cous and stew type meal and a Chinese type stir fry on the last night. Soups are easy to make vegan food lunches with bread and vegan spread. Breakfast I’d just offer toast with jams and various cereals with non dairy milk. Snacks are easier than you think-lots of crisis and biscuits are vegan, plus fruit, houmous, crackers etc.

EliseC1965 Mon 04-Dec-17 22:01:24

I like to cook from scratch as I know what’s in my food. I can do soups easy enough and I might ask the girls to bring some vegan party food for Boxing Day.
Will probably do a Lidl shop on one day to get meat, cheese and protein rolls. And dh has said he’ll do bacon sarnies. I’ll make and freeze some oopsie bread for mine.
Luckily I don’t go back to work until Jan 3rd, or I’d be super stressed out.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 05-Dec-17 06:18:26

Sainsburys is selling a vegan cheese board selection.

EliseC1965 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:13:21

Oooh lovely. I’ll have to have a look. I might have to go further afield as our local one doesn’t have vegannaise and the one in the next town over had it on its stock list.

InDubiousBattle Tue 05-Dec-17 14:23:24

For the vegan visitors I would do a vegetable thai green curry. You could make the paste this week and freeze it. Serve with salad and homemade roti (I have a great recipe if you want). Then the other night maybe a bean chilli with rice and guacamole? Again, you could make the chilli now to ease the pressure at the time.

Protein heavy ss plus new born could you do pulled pork sandwiches? Easy to eat with one hand and ok cold-both must haves with and new baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now