Talk

Advanced search

I made myself a new tradition : )

(5 Posts)
NotAPuffin Mon 04-Dec-17 16:41:34

On saturday, DH took the kids out to various activities and I spent the day in the kitchen listening to the Rat Pack (not the christmas album, it's too early for that) pottering in the kitchen, making stuffings to put in the freezer for christmas dinner. I had a lovely time. I also made a load of spiced brandy butter which is tormenting me every time I open the fridge.

Henceforth, the first saturday in December shall be known as Stuffing Day. It will join such previously created traditions as Christmas Fridge (when the final big shop is done and the fridge is creaking gently at the seams with the strain of enclosing more cheese, double cream, smoked salmon and pate than any fridge should reasonably be expected to contain), the annual Christmas Eve Plumbing Emergency (self explanatory) and the White Chocolate Peppermint Lindor Problem (don't ask).

Ceesadoo Mon 04-Dec-17 16:43:23

And a great new tradition that is!

What, I must ask, is the White Chocolate Peppermint Lindor problem?

Chocolatecake12 Mon 04-Dec-17 16:48:00

Oh how lovely! It’s great hearing about people’s traditions- everyone has their own and it’s what makes Christmas so special and unique to each family.
Each year I get the decorations down from the loft and the kids and I decorate the tree etc except we always argue about the lights - my teenager took over that role from his dad when he left! Then the kids loose interest and I end up doing the majority myself.
So today while they were at school I got the tree and decorations out of the loft and assembled the tree and adorned it with lights. Now all they have to do is put the baubles on.
It might become my new tradition!

JennyBlueWren Mon 04-Dec-17 20:05:29

As I'm a teacher I take my tree (live in a pot) into school along with some (used to be all but seem to be increasing) of my decorations at the beginning of December.

I then take them home at the end of term and the evening of the last day of term I decorate the house.
I don't know whether now that DS is nearly 3 (and keeps announcing each day as "Christmas Day") DH and he will decorate sooner but the tree is in my classroom now (although we've not done more than that yet).

totsalot Wed 06-Dec-17 11:56:03

We have 'mummy's strop' not really a strop but usually a night im feeling a little overwhelmed by arrangements so pop out in the car by myself to look at Christmas lights and listen to the Christmas radio station in peace. I love it.

27th of December lunch HAS to be turkey, chips, heavily buttered baguette and a can of Coke. And so it shall be until time immemorial.

29th December is the annual baby cheesus night. Me, DH, trash tv and a carpet picnic cheeseboard. Perfect.

We also weirdly look forward to 'the annual bastard toy night' the night we build all the toys and place bets in which one is going to be the absolute bastard to build, be missing parts, or cause a marital squabble. All rectified after a sneaky celebratory baileys.

We sound really odd reading that back..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now