Talk

Advanced search

What does your 8yr old boy play with?

(34 Posts)
poooooooop Mon 04-Dec-17 13:58:26

Besides screens and Lego!

Thinking of toys, what does your ds play with? My ds has a few dinos and cars, which he digs out occasionally. But he mainly draws, writes, reads, Lego and minecraft.

It'd be nice to get him something to actually play with iyswim.... or am I just having to realise that they don't actually play with toys that much at this age? I'm sure I remember playing with toys at that age confused

NewtsSuitcase Mon 04-Dec-17 13:59:56

at 8 mine liked hotwires, nerf guns, still quite liked dressing up, board games, top trumps, art.

mainly lego and PS4 though...

Thesmallthings Mon 04-Dec-17 14:02:12

Stick bots are quite cool they can animate them with a tablet or Phone. And if he has minecraft figures he can use them to.

Backingvocals Mon 04-Dec-17 14:03:57

Thunderbirds Tracy Island and hot wheels ultimate garage both favourite toys here.

Eolian Mon 04-Dec-17 14:47:59

My 9 year-old is the same. Reading, lego, PS games, drawing. Toys are a waste of money- he doesn't play with them!

Calatonia Mon 04-Dec-17 14:58:26

His brother.

Sorry, not the help you were looking for.... bayblades, those collector card games (Yugiho, Pokemon, Magic etc etc etc)

Limaloma1 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:26:45

My DS9 got the hexbugs battlebots arena as he likes robot wars and hexbug battle tower for his birthday this year. He is enjoying playing with them both. It's really difficult to find them things they can play with.

SandLand Mon 04-Dec-17 15:38:43

Snap electronics circuits, science kit.

4forksake Mon 04-Dec-17 18:09:05

Knex, slime, board games, football stuff, colour by numbers, books, as well as Lego & technology

BWatchWatcher Mon 04-Dec-17 18:15:01

Roblox figures, minecraft figures?
The phoenix magazine is good for this age too.

FairyPenguin Mon 04-Dec-17 18:17:59

Hexbugs
Bop It
Star Wars things
Nerf guns

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Dec-17 18:20:08

Mine is exactly like yours! He's getting an electric guitar this year - lucky he's musical or I wouldn't have any ideas for him at all!

AveEldon Mon 04-Dec-17 18:23:30

Nerf guns
Footballs / super bouncy balls like moon balls

Twoevils Mon 04-Dec-17 18:24:31

K'nex
Anything with motors in
Transformers (the complicated ones)
Science kits
Board games

ArbitraryName Mon 04-Dec-17 18:25:10

DS2 whose interests are largely identical to yours, likes making pixel art with perler beads (we have Hama beads too, but they aren’t as good for making 3D minecraft things, it appears). He spent about 4 hours making 3D Tetris blocks with them yesterday. He’s made loads of 2D Pokémon over the last few months and some mario Christmas tree decorations too.

You can get nice sets on Amazon that have lots of colours in a little tray. And there are millions of photos online that he can copy to make things.

Hawkmoth Mon 04-Dec-17 18:27:50

WWE Figyurrrs (sigh)

Also likes playing pocket billiards.

roobrr Mon 04-Dec-17 18:28:35

My son is 7 but, scalextric, board games, his Minecraft figures (we all have to pick one and 'battle') K'nex..
Still mainly the xbox though 🙈

scoobydooagain Mon 04-Dec-17 18:31:43

like yours mostly screens and lego however likes cards - gin rummy and scabby Queen as well as playing darts and goes through spells of liking board games especially cluedo

BroomstickOfLove Mon 04-Dec-17 18:31:56

I'm in a similar situation. I think I'll get him books, a board game, a jigsaw and possibly a microscope.

hashtagelfie Mon 04-Dec-17 18:38:58

Mine is pretty much the same - screens (roblox, minecraft and the Lego PS4 games), Lego and drawing. He also loves Pokémon cards and yu-gi-oh cards.

For Christmas he is getting mainly Lego, half the boys section from smiggle and two Pokémon figures but yeah I think the days of "toys" (other than Lego) are over with

SockEatingMonster Mon 04-Dec-17 18:47:27

DS recently turned 9. Things he loved and still 'plays' with from the last 2 Christmases (not all toys) are:

- 'Cool' pencil case & stationery he can take into school, pencils with his name on (from Studio I think)
- Newton's cradle
- Bungee bouncer (his sister's actually, but it's had almost 3 years of constant use now)
- Supersoft blanket
- Rollerskates
- Tablet stand (from Poundland!)
- Nice smelly stuff like body sprays and hand/foot creams
- One of those spider-like head massagers
- Bedroom door alarm (Spy Gear, I think?)
- Furby (I know opinion is divided on these, but his one has been very loved for almost 3 years now. He can also use it with his iPad to feed it, translate what it's saying, hatch babies, etc)
- Pedal racer. So much fun and really well used
- Nerf!!

I may think of more...

This year I've taken a chance on Stikbots, a footspa, swingball, some Think Fun one-player games (he loves Rush Hour), massage cushion (he really loves his creature comforts!), oh, and more Nerf of course hmm

jellyandsoup Mon 04-Dec-17 20:21:02

Other than his Wii u games my son loves pokemon toys, nerf, and not so much now it's dark early but but he has a basketball net in the garden he enjoys. He likes colouring and cooking too. Uno extreme and sqeebles are popular too.

This year he has a huge nerf gun, lego dimensions, lego, a punch ball, pokemon guess thing.

Pixie2015 Mon 04-Dec-17 20:35:59

Screwball scramble is great game for all the family

poooooooop Mon 04-Dec-17 21:33:20

Cool, thanks all!

The stick bots sounds good, I'll take a look. He has the electronic circuits and it's good smile

I'll look at hex bugs too!

poooooooop Mon 04-Dec-17 21:35:39

The moon balls are fab! Both dc got one last year smile
He has k'nex too, but doesn't get played with after the initial set up/play/take down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: