Talk

Advanced search

London on 29th with DC - what to do? Not shopping!

(18 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Sun 03-Dec-17 23:11:15

Would usually avoid like the plague.

However, DD's best friend moved away recently and it's easy for us both to get to London so they can have a day together. So 2 mums, 2 11 year old girls and my DS who is 8. My DC LOVE London. I hate crowds but I'll do it for them!

Any suggestions?

IHeartKingThistle Sun 03-Dec-17 23:41:56

Nothing? I need help!

Orangebird69 Sun 03-Dec-17 23:43:25

Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park!

IHeartKingThistle Sun 03-Dec-17 23:54:08

Ooh didn't even think! Will it be packed?

Orangebird69 Sun 03-Dec-17 23:57:16

Not really! I always go after Xmas and have a fab time. Mulled wine and currywurst 😊. There's lots to see, free entertainment and a funfair (not free obvs!). It's really worth a visit.

Ricekrispie22 Mon 04-Dec-17 05:36:51

Drop in chocolate making at the chocolate museum, Brixton
Bricklive Lego festival at the Saatchi gallery
Henna party at museum of London www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/event-detail?id=128409
Harry Potter exhibition at The British Library
Winnie the Pooh exhibition at the V and A
Interactive singing Christmas tree at the V and A
V and A museum of childhood

NotEnoughTime Mon 04-Dec-17 15:03:39

Ice skating at NHM or Somerset House would be lovely I'm sure or what about booking a panto or a Christmas show? I guess it also depends on how much money you've got (left!) to spend.

Hope you all have a great day smile

Thesmallthings Mon 04-Dec-17 18:06:46

Winter wonder land is ober rated imo and you need a small mortgage to go on the fun fair rides or to eat.

I'd look at sherks adventure land. I took myb2 boys to shreks and London dugens and it cost 100 for the 3 of us. You get good deals if you buybthat tickets together.

Or the national history museums.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Dec-17 18:10:02

Argh don't tell me that, we've booked Winter wonderland!

DS is going out with DH instead so we've booked everything on a family ticket. Fingers crossed, sure the 11 year olds will love it anyway!.

Love the other suggestions, filing those away!

HundredMilesAnHour Mon 04-Dec-17 18:13:27

Winter Wonderland is crowded hell on earth but if you've never been it's definitely an unusual experience for central London and the kids will love it - and there's mulled wine to keep to grown-ups happy. Nothing comes cheap though (although entry is free) and don't think you can save money by taking your own drinks in as these have to be thrown away at security (the official line is to prevent acid attacks but I think it's just price gouging really).

(I was there yesterday with some overseas friends who hadn't been before - to my surprise, they really enjoyed it).

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Dec-17 18:15:10

Mulled wine a must, yes!

Hoping we'll get a random quiet day....

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Dec-17 18:15:54

Where did you eat hundred?

mintich Mon 04-Dec-17 18:16:42

Winter wonderland is crowded but fun! The kids will love it!

HundredMilesAnHour Mon 04-Dec-17 18:20:20

Hoping we'll get a random quiet day....

If it's a Sat or Sun, it will be BUSY. Sometimes so busy that they close Hyde Park Corner tube station because of the overcrowding. During the week it's not as bad - until the schools break for Christmas of course and then the hell really begins....

There can be big queues at the entrances because of security checks so be prepared for that.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Dec-17 18:21:01

It's a Friday between Christmas and New Year. Could go either way!

HundredMilesAnHour Mon 04-Dec-17 18:24:16

Where did you eat hundred?

We actually went for Sun lunch at Hawksmoor in Knightsbridge first. smile

But in the past when I've eaten at Winter Wonderland, we always get a bratwurst (you'll see them everywhere!) as they're very good. My friend's DH was drooling over them yesterday but just couldn't face more food after a Sun roast (and Christmas pudding!) at Hawksmoor. He is determined to go back another time just to have a bratwurst. wink

HundredMilesAnHour Mon 04-Dec-17 18:27:29

It's a Friday between Christmas and New Year.

It will be BUSY then! Unless it's raining.

We've been on Boxing Day and 27th Dec in the past. Always very busy (even the Boxing Day when there was a tube strike). It gets busier as the day goes on. A lot of people arrive mid-afternoon with quite a few adults going there for the drinking wink as it's very pretty with the lights once it's dark.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 04-Dec-17 18:42:27

OK, this is good info. Have our first thing booked for 11am and the last thing for 4pm. Then we can skedaddle if it's heaving or mosey if it's not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: