Talk

Advanced search

Cooking turkey crown night before

(24 Posts)
messa Sun 03-Dec-17 20:56:26

Any advice on this or recipe to keep turkey crown moist and what temperature do you heat it up next day? How long does this take?

buckeejit Sun 03-Dec-17 22:48:18

Don't know myself but think I might do the same - brand new cooker and can't remember if I cooked it day before when I hosted 2 years ago.

I'm thinking just cook it enough day before and sneakily microwave it on the day. There will be so much else going on I don't think anyone will notice and its only close family so less would they care. Its covered in gravy & my ham will be awesome anyway so pah!

MimpiDreams Sun 03-Dec-17 22:51:03

I cook the turkey the night before but I don't reheat it on the day. Once all the hot stuff is on the plate you don't notice that the turkey is cold.

AdoraBell Sun 03-Dec-17 22:54:25

I’ve always cooked it on the day.

mummarosie1 Sun 03-Dec-17 22:59:34

Hoping to get some advice on this issue too! I bloody hate turkey and doing mainly lamb but the in laws are insistent on turkey envy

thinking of cooking it the day before, and then on the day when I take the lamb out (to rest approx 30 mins before serving) putting the sliced turkey in the oven to reheat.

Probably be dry as a desert but hopefully won't give food poisoning?

freshstart24 Mon 04-Dec-17 09:15:33

Hmmm not sure if reheating poultry is a good idea? Hopefully someone can advise?

speakout Mon 04-Dec-17 09:28:20

Of course reheating poultry is fine.

SixInTheBed Mon 04-Dec-17 09:32:56

Cook night before, slice , cover in some stock or gravy, cover with foil , reheat . If serving with ham you could layer cooked ham and turkey together in dish, cover with stock and reheat together.

Doilooklikeatourist Mon 04-Dec-17 09:36:35

Of course you can reheat poultry !

I’d just cook it on the day , take it out of the oven. Cover with tin foil , a couple of tea towels or a clean towel as a blanket on top ( it will keep warm enough while you do everything else )

Cooking it the day before will also involve hours of waiting til it’s cold enough to put in the fridge

shazkiwi Mon 04-Dec-17 09:40:48

I would slice it when cold. Make up gravy & pour it over before you reheat the turkey. Cover with foil & it won't be dry. We do this sometimes with leftover chicken & it works well. Just make sure you cool/refrigerate your turkey as fast as possible once its cooked & reheat it until its really hot.

Annwithnoe Mon 04-Dec-17 12:13:18

I hate the taste of reheated turkey. Cooking the day before seems a popular choice on MN so it could be just me. The leftovers are nice cold, in sandwiches etc or else with a very strong curry to cover up that reheated roast taste. Otherwise I find it a bit grim.

ThatsMySantaHisBeardIsSoFluffy Mon 04-Dec-17 12:18:27

I'm with you, Ann. I wouldn't want reheated or cold turkey for Christmas dinner!

Lucisky Mon 04-Dec-17 17:05:20

I too wouldn't want either cold or reheated turkey on Christmas day. Just why? It's no more difficult to cook than any other roast, besides, I like the smell of the turkey cooking on xmas day. I would never cook any other roast on, say, Saturday for a Sunday lunch. It wouldn't be the same having that lovely roasting turkey smell on Christmas eve instead of Xmas day. Perhaps someone can tell me why this is a thing to do. Is it really more convenient?
Besides, a turkey is expensive, I want to enjoy it hot and freshly cooked, not as cold cuts.

ThatsMySantaHisBeardIsSoFluffy Mon 04-Dec-17 17:10:15

And it goes on its own in the oven; you cook everything else while it's resting. I really don't get why it's necessary!

Hidingtonothing Mon 04-Dec-17 17:15:04

We cook ours long and slow overnight on Christmas Eve so it comes out when we get up. We never reheat, you don't notice it's cold with hot gravy over the top.

ThatsMySantaHisBeardIsSoFluffy Mon 04-Dec-17 17:33:12

I'd notice it was cold, even with gravy on. The texture changes.

Imustbemad00 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:53:19

Always leave our large turkey cooking on low over night Xmas eve.

Trailedanderror Mon 04-Dec-17 19:55:25

Why? Guidelines changed so it doesn't need to be cooked for hours.

Lucisky Mon 04-Dec-17 20:43:22

Just to add, I would have thought that any cooked poultry, if not being eaten imminently, should be refrigerated, surely? Keeping it at room temperature for several hours is not good practice. So are you people eating pre cooked turkey also eating it fridge cold, or are you leaving on the side for several hours (and I don't mean wrapped up in foil and towels to keep the heat in)?
I wouldn't want to eat turkey whose only heat comes from hot gravy.

Maverick66 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:30:51

I always cook turkey on Christmas Eve.
I put softened butter under the skin.
I put butter on skin as well.
I then season with black pepper and nutmeg.
I put an orange and an onion in the cavity.
I cook for 18/20mins per lb.
I turn it upside down when it is cooked to let juices run to the breast.
I slice it when cold and heat on a tinfoil tray next dat with stock made from juices.
It only takes 20 mins or so in hot oven.

Jasminedes Mon 04-Dec-17 21:50:33

I would take it out half an hour before serving to rest. Would never cook it the night before or keep warm for hours (at the ideal temp for bugs to proliferate presumably). Want it nice and fresh and perfectly cooked.

Sallystyle Mon 04-Dec-17 22:13:20

I always do it and warm it up in gravy. It's lovely, it doesn't dry out or anything.

I have a lot of shit in the oven on Xmas morning and my oven isn't very big. Doing it the night before gives me more space for all the veg, pigs in blankets, stuffing, vegetarian option for a relative and my braised cabbage. We cook for 11 people.

When I do a normal roast I don't have as many sides at all so I have more space. It's just easier for me to get that out of the way with.

RhinoGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 09:32:23

If you’re going to cook it the night before, make sure you cool it appropriately & get it in the fridge as soon as possible. Once the temp gets in the danger zone, it’s a risk. Reheating will probably dry it out though. I’d put it in first thing in the morning personally, that’s what I did with the crown for me & DH when it was just us two last year.

wednesdayswench Tue 05-Dec-17 09:44:32

I always cook my turkey and ham the day before.

Slice a cover in its cooking juices, reheat in microwave. It's always been lovely.

That way I have time to properly cook, rest and carve the meat with care and concentrate on all the trimmings on the day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: