Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for science loving feminist friend

(20 Posts)
SkeletonSkins Sun 03-Dec-17 08:55:50

Anyone got any good gift suggestions for my dear friend who loves science, active feminist and equal rights activist e.g. Girls education in other countries (mentioning as might be a good book or something I could buy). I love her and in the past have bought her things like choc and bits and bobs like that but would like to get her something to suit her interests a little more. She's quite crafty too. Any suggestions?

iseenodust Sun 03-Dec-17 11:00:25

I like www.presentindicative.com/. Recently bought the protractor pizza cutter & the Einstein sticky notes as a stocking filler.
Or this book went down well with a friend www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1780749902/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

SandAndSea Sun 03-Dec-17 11:03:20

A solar rainbow maker. It's sciencey and fun.

sauceyorange Sun 03-Dec-17 11:13:50

The people who run Ada Lovelace day have edited two books about women in science

https://findingada.com/shop/

Tarahumara Sun 03-Dec-17 11:24:10

I’m a science loving feminist!

Focusing on books (as you mention them in your post).

From your description I think she might enjoy The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (non fiction).

Other books that I highly recommend that are science-y or feminist (but not both) are:
Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius by Graham Farmelo
Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley

Does she like science fiction? Maybe The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood or The Power by Naomi Alderman?

CountFosco Sun 03-Dec-17 18:31:20

What kind of scientist and what's your budget?

For a mathematician or software engineer how about The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage or a more serious biography.

For a biologist there's Dorothy Hodgkin's biography or Rosalind Franklin's

For physicists or chemist's there's Marie Curie's biography.

Or you could have a look on a website like Redbubble and get a science/feminist t-shirt for her.

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Dec-17 18:32:58

Lego Women of NASA

theghostofchristmaspast Sun 03-Dec-17 19:46:39

I came on to suggest the Lego set too.

slightlyglittermaned Sun 03-Dec-17 19:57:53

Another for Lego Women of NASA.

Books-wise:
Inferior by Angela Saini is one I have been eyeing up for a while www.angelasaini.co.uk/books
Also, the winner of the Royal Society Science Book prize this year was Testosterone Rex by Cordelia Fine.
Both would be great gifts for a science loving feminist.

slightlyglittermaned Sun 03-Dec-17 20:08:18

Oh and some more books by female scientists in my current to-read pile (tend to be physics/math biased. I also tend to prefer books on science more than biographies):

Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life Helen Czerski
Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs Lisa Randall (world leading theoretical physicist)
Beyond Infinity Eugenia Cheng - I love How to Bake Pi by the same author.
*Dark Matter

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 03-Dec-17 20:11:29

The Hidden Figures book is excellent: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0008201323/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ref=plSrch&keywords=hidden+figures+book&dpPl=1&dpID=51dH1itot8L&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512331867&sr=8-2

I also loved this book: www.amazon.co.uk/Find-Me-Unafraid-Love-African/dp/0062292854?tag=mumsnetforum-21

GrouchyKiwi Sun 03-Dec-17 20:15:35

I came onto the thread to suggest Present Indicative too (because who doesn't love a gift website with a perfect pun name and cool presents) so I'll slink out again.

DeltaG Sun 03-Dec-17 20:18:45

I'm a scientist and have had a few things from the Ifuckinglovescience webshop here:

https://www.ilovesciencestore.co.uk

Some of the jewellery is great.

ramonaquimby Sun 03-Dec-17 20:22:22

not so science related but what about
100 Nasty Women of History by Hannah Jewell
have bought this for a few friends recently. it’s on my xmas list too

Stompythedinosaur Sun 03-Dec-17 20:26:25

Is she a mother? I got given Bedtime Stories for Rebel Girls to read to my dds for my last birthday and I enjoyed it.

Nomoresugar Sun 03-Dec-17 20:40:34

Love all the suggestions on here!

Only just getting in to physics and chemistry myself after absolutely hating it at school- thought it was un feminine.

Going to have to put a few of these on my Xmas list. It was empty 5 mins ago.

SkeletonSkins Sun 03-Dec-17 21:52:13

Oh some absolutely amazing suggestions!!! Thank you so much. Definitely going to go for the Lego and a couple of books - like the look of Inferior and a few of the other ones. Going to have a browse of the other websites now. You guys are amazing!

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Dec-17 07:12:50

Is she a mother? I got given Bedtime Stories for Rebel Girls to read to my dds for my last birthday and I enjoyed it.

Or she might appreciate a present aimed at her!

fedup2017 Mon 04-Dec-17 07:41:32

Does she drink?
I've bought my sister a molecule-r cocktail making kit.
on amazon. You can make spheres containing mojito- that kind of thing

Its sciency and fun rather than serious feminist though

Ylvamoon Mon 04-Dec-17 07:49:52

This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations about woman in Science that have achieved fantastic things! I bought it for my DD as an inspiration...

www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Science-Fearless-Pioneers-Changed-ebook/dp/B01MTK0IAH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=women+in+science&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512373540&sr=8-2

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: