Advanced search

Suggestions for science loving feminist friend

(20 Posts)
SkeletonSkins Sun 03-Dec-17 08:55:50

Anyone got any good gift suggestions for my dear friend who loves science, active feminist and equal rights activist e.g. Girls education in other countries (mentioning as might be a good book or something I could buy). I love her and in the past have bought her things like choc and bits and bobs like that but would like to get her something to suit her interests a little more. She's quite crafty too. Any suggestions?

iseenodust Sun 03-Dec-17 11:00:25

I like Recently bought the protractor pizza cutter & the Einstein sticky notes as a stocking filler.
Or this book went down well with a friend

SandAndSea Sun 03-Dec-17 11:03:20

A solar rainbow maker. It's sciencey and fun.

sauceyorange Sun 03-Dec-17 11:13:50

The people who run Ada Lovelace day have edited two books about women in science

Tarahumara Sun 03-Dec-17 11:24:10

I’m a science loving feminist!

Focusing on books (as you mention them in your post).

From your description I think she might enjoy The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (non fiction).

Other books that I highly recommend that are science-y or feminist (but not both) are:
Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Quantum Genius by Graham Farmelo
Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley

Does she like science fiction? Maybe The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood or The Power by Naomi Alderman?

CountFosco Sun 03-Dec-17 18:31:20

What kind of scientist and what's your budget?

For a mathematician or software engineer how about The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage or a more serious biography.

For a biologist there's Dorothy Hodgkin's biography or Rosalind Franklin's

For physicists or chemist's there's Marie Curie's biography.

Or you could have a look on a website like Redbubble and get a science/feminist t-shirt for her.

BikeRunSki Sun 03-Dec-17 18:32:58

Lego Women of NASA

theghostofchristmaspast Sun 03-Dec-17 19:46:39

I came on to suggest the Lego set too.

slightlyglittermaned Sun 03-Dec-17 19:57:53

Another for Lego Women of NASA.

Inferior by Angela Saini is one I have been eyeing up for a while
Also, the winner of the Royal Society Science Book prize this year was Testosterone Rex by Cordelia Fine.
Both would be great gifts for a science loving feminist.

slightlyglittermaned Sun 03-Dec-17 20:08:18

Oh and some more books by female scientists in my current to-read pile (tend to be physics/math biased. I also tend to prefer books on science more than biographies):

Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life Helen Czerski
Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs Lisa Randall (world leading theoretical physicist)
Beyond Infinity Eugenia Cheng - I love How to Bake Pi by the same author.
*Dark Matter

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 03-Dec-17 20:11:29

The Hidden Figures book is excellent:

I also loved this book:

GrouchyKiwi Sun 03-Dec-17 20:15:35

I came onto the thread to suggest Present Indicative too (because who doesn't love a gift website with a perfect pun name and cool presents) so I'll slink out again.

DeltaG Sun 03-Dec-17 20:18:45

I'm a scientist and have had a few things from the Ifuckinglovescience webshop here:

Some of the jewellery is great.

ramonaquimby Sun 03-Dec-17 20:22:22

not so science related but what about
100 Nasty Women of History by Hannah Jewell
have bought this for a few friends recently. it’s on my xmas list too

Stompythedinosaur Sun 03-Dec-17 20:26:25

Is she a mother? I got given Bedtime Stories for Rebel Girls to read to my dds for my last birthday and I enjoyed it.

Nomoresugar Sun 03-Dec-17 20:40:34

Love all the suggestions on here!

Only just getting in to physics and chemistry myself after absolutely hating it at school- thought it was un feminine.

Going to have to put a few of these on my Xmas list. It was empty 5 mins ago.

SkeletonSkins Sun 03-Dec-17 21:52:13

Oh some absolutely amazing suggestions!!! Thank you so much. Definitely going to go for the Lego and a couple of books - like the look of Inferior and a few of the other ones. Going to have a browse of the other websites now. You guys are amazing!

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Dec-17 07:12:50

Is she a mother? I got given Bedtime Stories for Rebel Girls to read to my dds for my last birthday and I enjoyed it.

Or she might appreciate a present aimed at her!

fedup2017 Mon 04-Dec-17 07:41:32

Does she drink?
I've bought my sister a molecule-r cocktail making kit.
on amazon. You can make spheres containing mojito- that kind of thing

Its sciency and fun rather than serious feminist though

Ylvamoon Mon 04-Dec-17 07:49:52

This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations about woman in Science that have achieved fantastic things! I bought it for my DD as an inspiration...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now