Talk

Advanced search

Boxing Day

(50 Posts)
8mileeminem Sat 02-Dec-17 22:54:04

What do you do on Boxing Day? This year dp is working so it's just me and dd (8).

elQuintoConyo Sat 02-Dec-17 23:00:37

The same as Christmas Day but without opening presents: eat nice food, play with new things, walk the dog, have a snooze on the sofa.

Definitely stay away from shops/restaurants/cafes/joe public*. I don't like going shopping or spending money in places on Boxing Day as i hate to see people working on tills or clearing tables when they could be at home with their families themselves.

Might see family, but this year we'll see them on 28th.

* other dog walkers, joggers or children out playing on new bikes etc exempt.

Happy Boxing Day!

Aweektilltheseason Sat 02-Dec-17 23:19:08

I loved working boxing day as a teen, extra money to go out with.
Op maybe panto or cinema

Aweektilltheseason Sat 02-Dec-17 23:19:18

I loved working boxing day as a teen, extra money to go out with.
Op maybe panto or cinema

anyoldname76 Sat 02-Dec-17 23:27:30

i really enjoy boxing day, everything is a bit more relaxed, we dont have another roast dinner, we have the best bits leftovers from Christmas with hot baps, for tea we have a buffet. i stay in pjs all day, play with toys, watch films, and have a snooze on the settee, its bliss

hashtagelfie Sun 03-Dec-17 07:46:08

Open more presents, eat cake, sing happy birthday and go to McDonald's grin
Ds3 will be two on Boxing Day

theaveragewife Sun 03-Dec-17 07:47:13

Turkey curry buffet

StylishDuck Sun 03-Dec-17 09:02:52

We spend Christmas Day travelling between both sets of parents/extended family so boxing day is our day to spend at home just the 3 of us, chilling out, letting DD play with her new toys and catching up with all the Christmas tv. I'll be 39 weeks pregnant this Boxing Day so I'll definitely be taking it easy! (Unless baby decides to make an appearance early that is!)

HRTpatch Sun 03-Dec-17 09:04:12

A nice Walk, lunch out somewhere.
Kids go to their dads Boxing Day evening so a lovely quiet night for me

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Sun 03-Dec-17 09:04:42

hashtagelfie that’s our house too. It’s dd’s 4th this year and I still can’t seem to get used to it!

MumGoneMild Sun 03-Dec-17 09:05:12

Cinema
Panto
Big long walk followed by board games

Crikeyblimey Sun 03-Dec-17 09:38:49

As little as possible. Boxing Day is as relaxed as possible. The tradition that absolutely must not be ignored however is lunch of turkey, chips and gravy! Even last year when we were flying to Venice for my birthday we had this before we left.
I love the relaxed stillness of Boxing Day after the madness of the day before.

Goldenphoenix Sun 03-Dec-17 09:47:56

Always go to my Dad's on Boxing Day. It's tradition to have cold turkey, ham, beef with chips, bubble and squeak, homemade chutney and pickles. We play games and all open presents with each other while my kids and nephews destroy Dad's house. I love it as much as Christmas Day! No way in hell would i go shopping!

Crumbs1 Sun 03-Dec-17 10:09:26

We have Boxing Day drinks from 6pm so we walk the dog, have a swim and hot tub, cook and make up canapes together, set out glasses etc.
The 6-8pm timeline tends to get extended and we throw the last people out around 11pm.
When they were little we generally went to the pantomime.

onlyonaTuesday Sun 03-Dec-17 11:03:35

I always work Boxing Day and dd1 does as well.
Dp will go watch football and Dd2 will go shopping .

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Sun 03-Dec-17 11:08:31

Crikey, I love your expression "relaxed stillness" it describes it perfectly. There are not many days in the year when this happens. Cold warmed up, chatter with my family, perhaps a dvd. Definitely a walk.

MuddlingThroughLife Sun 03-Dec-17 11:14:39

We have a chill put day after the madness of christmas. We stay in our pj's, have turkey chips and pickles for dinner, watch crap on tv, play/look at new stuff and recharge the our batteries!

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Sun 03-Dec-17 11:15:29

Second christmas day.
I have my brother, his daughter, partner and granddaughter and my mum. It means we can go to in-laws Christmas day and avoid any guilt and hosting twice.
Boxing day has more present opening, Christmas dinner, buffet, movies and games.

Dailystuck71 Sun 03-Dec-17 12:36:15

Quiet for us this year as we are all back to work on 27th. We are going to go to the cinema to see Jumanji. We’re having our usual house full on 23rd instead this year.

PissedOffNeighbour Sun 03-Dec-17 12:43:10

Long country walk and pub lunch fsmile

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Sun 03-Dec-17 13:02:22

We have leftovers for lunch and then go to a friend's house in the evening for buffet/games/drinks. Nice relaxed day fsmile

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Sun 03-Dec-17 13:33:56

We have Boxing Day drinks from 6pm so we walk the dog, have a swim and hot tub

A hot tub? Isn't that a bit common.

pisacake Sun 03-Dec-17 13:51:15

Perhaps it's a traditional Swedish wood-fired one fuelled by serfs?

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Sun 03-Dec-17 13:52:29

pisa grin

pisacake Sun 03-Dec-17 14:01:46

Doubtless the swim is in the village pond at dawn after smashing the ice. Nothing so vulgar as a swimming pool.

Hence the hot tub, which I've now learned is actually powered by a geothermal vent under the estate, and hence completely natural and organic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now