Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a family member that always gives them the same present?

(16 Posts)
Opheliasgoldenwine Sat 02-Dec-17 11:24:05

Every year without fail, my auntie gives me a pair of pyjamas, which I love as having new pyjamas is the best fgrin

There's more but I can't think of it just yet, but does anyone else get the same gift every year from someone?

wyldstile Sat 02-Dec-17 13:54:26

Yep. MIL must have bought me about a dozen scarves over the years. All reeking of smoke after being in her house.

JennyBlueWren Sat 02-Dec-17 13:58:19

I give the same gift twice a year to my brother -a fruitcake! He's so difficult to buy for and once I made him a cake and it was the first time I've heard him be enthusiastic about a present (since his digital calculator watch aged 10!). I now make him a birthday and Christmas cake. His birthday is in the summer so they're evenly spaced apart.

My dad and his sister often sent each other the same presents as each other but different each year e.g. candlesticks on year, a calendar the next but (AFAIK) no discussion between them. They didn't particularly speak to each other much or see each other more than once a year.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 02-Dec-17 13:58:54

Yep, my mum and dad always give us a crate of champagne which is fine by us! (they’re not made of money btw they save up for it for me and DB). smile

NotSoSkinnyNow Sat 02-Dec-17 13:59:48

I had an elderly great-Aunt who always gave each of us a bottle of talc from M&S. Mine was always fern, in a green bottle. Dsis always got peach grin Pity M&S don't sell it any more, tempted to buy a bottle just for the nostalgia.

Fffion Sat 02-Dec-17 13:59:55

My great aunt the same present to everyone - young/old, male/female.

Opheliasgoldenwine Sat 02-Dec-17 14:49:59

Judas that's a great present grin

TheBlueMeaniesAreComing Sat 02-Dec-17 21:19:03

My gran. Every year without fail my Xmas present has always been accompanied by new pjs, slippers, underpants, a box of chocolates and a deodorant and shower gel set. I look forward to it every year. She always gets my children pjs slippers and a chocolate Santa too.
My MIL and her Gran have a gift that they have passed back and forth every year for about ten years. Along with an actual gift. It started off as an accident and now is a running joke

cocktailhour Sat 02-Dec-17 23:02:42

When I was a teen my aunt used to buy me a salon-sized shampoo and conditioner from the salon she worked in. Got it at cost, I suspect, so not a huge outlay to her, but a massive treat for me as it was mega-expensive and way beyond my budget. I used to make it last 6 months, it was the most thoughtful gift ever!

My gran still buys my husband a box of hankies every year. We've been together for 17 Christmases - that's a lot of hankies! Luckily he's the only guy I know under 60 who uses them, so for him it's a perfect present!

Seriously, when you're on to a winner, why stop?

mamaduckbone Sat 02-Dec-17 23:11:59

My MIL always gives me and ds a little bag of nice bits and pieces. It always includes posh socks (which I love btw) I’d be so disappointed if I didn’t get them now.grin

coldcanary Sat 02-Dec-17 23:16:09

A member of DH’s family always used to buy me a particular set of boots toiletries as she knew I liked the smell of them. The year she died I bought a big box of them for my own Christmas treat and made them last as long as possible. I’ve still got some of the body lotion - I use the tiniest amount I can sometimes, the smell reminds me of her smile

Laniakea Sat 02-Dec-17 23:19:29

yup my MIL always gets me a bottle of gin & new socks ... I absolutely love it grin

Itsanewme Sat 02-Dec-17 23:19:37

My mother in law.
Wrong size pjs and a dressing gown.
It’s a smaller size
Every year.

Islacornx Sat 02-Dec-17 23:20:39

Years ago I said I liked Maltesers when I was around my DM's side of the family. Now every birthday and Christmas I get a box/bag of Maltesers from each of them! It's put me off Maltesers a bit having so many of them blushsad

Badgerlady Sat 02-Dec-17 23:24:47

Scented candle from my SIL (DH's brother' partner; it's from both of them but I'd bet substantial sums she is the present buyer). It took me a while to work it out, but I'm sure it's because DH is a smoker and she thinks I need it to clear the air. She doesn't know that
1. I HATE the smell of scented candles.
2. DH smokes outside

73kittycat73 Sun 03-Dec-17 01:13:28

I once gave my brother the same gift two years in a row. fblush I don't know what I was thinking, lol. It might have been because he liked it so much (Bottles of hot chilli sauce.) Anyway, he definitely has different gifts this year! fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now