Talk

Advanced search

Do you play music during Christmas meal /day

(14 Posts)
Aweektilltheseason Fri 01-Dec-17 23:23:12

For me, having Xmas day and no music is unthinkable! I always have music on... As guests arrive, during meal.. And as much as I can thru the day. I can't help but feel it's a good bit flat going to for instance in laws house on Xmas day and they are not chatty, there is zero atmosphere and zero music. I always think that type of situation is crying out for music!! But maybe we are odd and no back ground music is the norm

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 01-Dec-17 23:26:35

Nope, I don't mind a bit of music if I'm on my own in the house or just with the kids but can't abide trying to make conversation over it so never have it on when we have guests.

Hulababy Fri 01-Dec-17 23:27:36

We have Christmas songs on in the morning to open presents too. Then dh (and sometimes dd) get music for Christmas, so dh will put a new vinyl on or whatever.

But on Christmas Day there is normally some music playing much of the day - music or the TV anyway, depending on what we are doing.

InDubiousBattle Fri 01-Dec-17 23:29:00

Of course! All the usual suspects..by 3 ish we're onto The Pogues. Dp's family home never ever have any music on at all and definitely not at Christmas so maybe we're both weird??

Hulababy Fri 01-Dec-17 23:29:04

If we have guests round(whatever day it is) the music is turned down though. DH would have it louder, but I like to be able to talk easily over the top of it, and hear people easier. We do sometimes try to choose music that is softer or with less lyrics in that kind of situation though.

callmeadoctor Fri 01-Dec-17 23:30:49

Alexa will be in charge this year!wink

rubberducker Fri 01-Dec-17 23:35:42

I have music on at home all day every day, Christmas is no different other than it’s Christmas music! Not sure why you wouldn’t, volume is always set to be background noise rather than interfering with conversation.

Temporary2002 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:43:00

Yes, always. It is on quietly, as background music, everybody can speak easily and be heard in normal volumn.

Littlelambpeep Fri 01-Dec-17 23:46:55

I like the radio. Dh parents sit in total silence. The only time the TV comes is for the late night news. That is it. But they are lovely people. Just the way they are. Christmas isn't Christmas though.

pallisers Fri 01-Dec-17 23:49:03

We play christmas carols while we make breakfast/open presents etc (Mormon Tabernacle Choir - we've had the cd since our second christmas more than 20 years ago).

DH will usually put on the messiah at some point too - but teens generally in their rooms at this point.

We play A Fairytale of New York several times during the day.

Temporary2002 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:55:43

We mostly listen to Jazz or Classical Christmas music. However "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a must, usually played during breakfast and stockings. And I love Mariah Carey's Christmas cd.

AcrossthePond55 Sat 02-Dec-17 00:13:15

We have Sirius and usually put on one of the Christmas music channels during dinner, very quietly in the background.

The rest of the time it's either the 'Yule Log' or Christmas movies and shows on the TV with the volume turned off so we can visit and open gifts. We've seen them so many times we know the dialogue by heart!

Summerisdone Sat 02-Dec-17 00:28:01

Except for when the TV is being watched, I have music on almost permanently in my house all year round (I even leave it on for the dog when I go out).
On Christmas Day I’ll have a Christmas music playlist on, and then will break it up a bit with some favourite music of everyone who is there

gillybeanz Sat 02-Dec-17 00:42:37

It's on in the kitchen so anyone doing anything in there will listen.
There's lots of live music though, usually Christmas Jazz.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: