Talk

Advanced search

Bloody Elf on the shelf!

(28 Posts)
imaddictedtomn Fri 01-Dec-17 22:10:30

I haven’t wanted to be part of the Elf on the shelf phenomenon because I just can’t be arsed. I have enough to do already!

So DD has come home from school today telling me that “everyone” has their own Real Elf who comes all through December and all her friends were talking about what their elves had got up to and she asked why was she the only one who didn’t have one?!

I could curse all her bloody friends bloody mothers!

Cue me feeling guilty and thinking I should now go and get her one!

Ggrrrr!! 🤪

MerlotMind Fri 01-Dec-17 22:47:50

I have the same issue but hate the whole contrived idea and extra work of it. Enough magic at Christmas itself without the additional hard work build ups from a crappy elf!

RenaissanceBunny Fri 01-Dec-17 22:51:22

She doesn't have one because Father Christmas already knows what a lovely and well behaved girl she is so he doesn't have to check.

Tinkhasflown Fri 01-Dec-17 22:51:26

But the elf only comes to homes where behaviour is questionable because Santa wants to keep an eye. She couldn't possibly want an elf in the house grin

SockEatingMonster Fri 01-Dec-17 22:51:52

Same here! Except DD has been told that "you can buy elves in the shop and they're still magic, so long as no one touches them, but if you're really good one will come all by itself". Leaving miniature perfectionist DD wondering why she didn't make the cut, and me seriously considering just telling her the bloody truth!

SockEatingMonster Fri 01-Dec-17 22:52:31

Ooooo, cross posted there. Might have to resort to that one...

WhirlwindHugs Fri 01-Dec-17 22:54:00

I felt like this a few years back, we had a half hearted attempt with a Christmas mouse we kept forgetting about. Honestly don't do it!

This year we scribbled down a bunch of cheap Christmassy ideas, like making mince pies, reading a story aloud, Christmas kitchen disco etc have stuck them in a jar, and we can pull one out when people are at a loose end.

Day 1 has gone well, a 5 min rather manic one man nativity production with commentary and parental donkey rides 😂 zero stressing about in advance required.

Maybe there is something else you guys do that you can distract her with?

tampinfuminragin Fri 01-Dec-17 22:55:09

My elf has disappeared since being played with earlier on.

elephantoverthehill Fri 01-Dec-17 23:03:59

Luckily my Dcs are of an age when elf on the shelf was comparatively new. However I am a really bad Mum apparently because I have completely forgotten to buy advent calendars. blush

Aweektilltheseason Fri 01-Dec-17 23:09:01

Do your own version! Tell her not everyone has an elf at all. Do your own elf and letter have an elf for the weekend! Why do people feel they have to follow some American idea... Products idea to the letter?

Stompythedinosaur Sat 02-Dec-17 03:35:18

We have an elf for the first year for this very reason. I wasn't keen but dd1 felt quite left out.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 02-Dec-17 04:29:21

My DD mentioned it a few times last year. I think I might have to use the lines on here. Thanks.

QuopQuop Sat 02-Dec-17 05:02:37

I do it. I love it and so do the kids. (They still Belive) but I do tell them not to tell their friends about them because their friend might not have them.
My story is that elves come to the good kids and some days they might not come as they have to visit other kids. (My excuse for not moving them so I hide them)

I know my kids won't tell other kids because of that.

It annoys me that some children at school tell my DC that Santa isn't real and it's your parents that do it but I don't moan about it on Mumsnet

They are your children you tell them what you want to. If you are that against elf on the shelf then either lie and say it's something that some people get and some don't ( that would teach them a life lesson to not expect every thing your peers get) or tell them the truth that it's the parents (but be sure that they won't tell their friends that!) what other choice do you have??

Put up of shut up?!

BlueUggs Sat 02-Dec-17 05:21:17

My son has bastard elf on the shelf at school and is desperate to have one at home. I hate them!!! He sits and watches videos on YouTube kids about it. I am not giving in, despite the pressure to do so!!

Hmmalittlefishy Sat 02-Dec-17 05:36:30

A fair near me had loads in a grabber machine (they looked even creepier than usual). I can imagine there will be a LOT of parents dreaming up quick stories about that one fgrin

BenLui Sat 02-Dec-17 06:06:52

I think the elf is creepy and also completely bloody counterintuitive.

If the elf is meant to be keeping an eye on naughty children why is it so “hilariously” naughty every night?

Why is its magic so fragile that you can’t touch it?

The thing has weird arms and legs and a label on its bum, how can any child over about three not realise that it’s a doll.

My D.C. find the whole idea of anyone believing in the elf completely bewildering.

They are happily elf free but politely nod and smile in the face of interminable naughty elf stories from friends. They were deeply unimpressed when classroom elves turned up though.

On the other hand we don’t do chocolate advent calendars either...

jakesmommy Sat 02-Dec-17 07:12:38

So glad you guys see sense and haven't fallen into this weird elf on the shelf phenomenon. My sons wouldn't fall for it, I suppose it's just something to humour the kids but theres enough stress in the weeks up to Christmas without thinking of ideas of what an elf would get up to

MuddlingThroughLife Sat 02-Dec-17 07:13:12

I don't like elf on the shelf. However for 13 years (so even before I'd heard of it!) we've had elves "visit" during the night and they have always left a festive choc/sweet and letter for each child. Occasionally, usually at the weekend, the elves will leave a small activity, such as paint your own bauble/sun catcher, gingerbread house to make, lip balms, false nails for the girls, a car for ds. The letter would tell the kids about the elves day at the north pole and would mention anything good or bad the kids had done that day.

Ds is the only one who believes (just!) so is the only one who gets a letter now. Though the girls did get one or two letter last year along the lines of "tidy your bloody bedroom!).

Whinesalot Sat 02-Dec-17 07:16:06

Just laugh and tell the truth about the elf and parents. You don't need tho admit that FC isn't real.

DrKrogersfavouritepatient Sat 02-Dec-17 07:17:30

I bowed to pressure and we have an elf. In order to make it easier for me s/he waits until the Christmas prep starts before making an appearance. That way I don't have the pressure of starting the whole fiasco on 1/12

WunWun Sat 02-Dec-17 07:36:38

I had exactly the same with DD coming home from school yesterday taking about a cheeky elf.

She has got the wrong end of the stick though and thinks it comes at night and you don't see it. So last night she made something for it and is hoping the elf takes it. Minimal effort involved for me!

slimyslitheryslug Sat 02-Dec-17 08:14:45

A couple of friends were telling me last year how excited their DC were to see if Elf was coming, what was he going to get up to etc. I did consider it but wasn't organised enough to get one & was very relieved as I saw their FB posts during December and saw the Elf writing on mirrors with lipstick, tipping breakfast cereal all over the floor & squirting shaving foam all over the bathroom sink. My life is generally teetering on the brink of organised chaos & just chaos and I cannot face the thought of intentionally making a mess in my house and then having to clean it up.

LeonoraFlorence Sat 02-Dec-17 08:20:08

We have an elf but he doesn't check behaviour, I really dislike that idea. He's just mischievous and gets up to all sorts of funny thing and often leaves fun 'activities' to do smile

dementedma Sat 02-Dec-17 08:26:38

Yay to the poster above who doesnt do chocolate advent calendars. I thought I was the only person left who did this. The calendar must also feature the nativity or a winer scene, not a toy or football team. DS opened day 1 yesterday and was asked by both his sisters (who werent home) what was behind the door. The dcs are 16, 24 and 27!

Nicae Sat 02-Dec-17 08:38:36

We do picture advent calendars and have an elf, arent we trendy and traditional all in one go?! My two are 1 and 3 and the older one is completely enthralled by our elf, she completely believes she's real and spent all day yesterday talking to her. If it adds to the fun at this time of year I just can't see the harm. Ours doesn't bring presents though, just does fun things - she's on a 'zip wire' across our living room today, it took about 4 minutes to set up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now