Advanced search

Clove studded oranges.

(20 Posts)
yorkshireyummymummy Fri 01-Dec-17 20:26:36

I have made these a few times over the years.
My DD is wanting to make them this year.
My problem is that I have found that mine generally just go rotten. They don't take long to go all soft and then completely rotten.
Does anybody know how to make them so they smell divine all heist as and so that they don't rot? ( they never look rotten in all of the bloody magazines!!)

OrchidShmorchid Fri 01-Dec-17 20:32:10

Are you using orris root? Pomanders really need a load of orris root IMO as it helps to preserve. That and drying out very slowly.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 01-Dec-17 20:36:01

Are you leaving them somewhere dry enough to dry out? I have never needed orris root.
Also, how closely did you put the cloves? I would have them spaced out only just enough so that when the orange shrinks they are touching. It might not work so well if you use fewer.

yorkshireyummymummy Fri 01-Dec-17 21:37:04

Thanks for replying ladies!
Ok, firstly I have never heard of orris root never mind using it ( I think I'm starting to realise where I have been going wrong!!) What do I do with orris root and where doi buy it?
I tied ribbon round the middle of the orange and then put cloves in all of the uncovered exposed skin. Is this a mistake?
Countess I like the idea of covering it so whe it shrinks they touch. Also I just used to stick them on the radiator to dry- is this right??

Thewolvesarerunningagain Fri 01-Dec-17 21:48:19

I second countess's comments. I have one that I made a few years ago which has not gone rotten but as it has dried all the cloves touch. It still smells great. Use a heck of a lot of cloves (and a thimble as your fingers get sore!)

endehors Fri 01-Dec-17 21:50:39

We used to put them in an airing cupboard (where the boiler lived) to dry out when I was a girl.

MipMipMip Fri 01-Dec-17 21:59:23

I do them on the radiator. I don't use anything but cloves, a board pin for making holes when it's a tough skin, a pin inserted ready for when they are done so I can actually get it in (they're bloody hard when dried) and one of those rubber cash-counting thimbles which is essential!

You will be pushed to get them dried in time though - you really need to do them mid November to have them ready for Christmas. Should be dry for most of the twelve days though.

MipMipMip Fri 01-Dec-17 22:01:24

Of band remember to turn therm every few days so different parts are exposed to the air. Good luck!

goose1964 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:08:29

They need somewhere cool and dry to settle.we used to use the garage

endehors Fri 01-Dec-17 22:21:18

Use a polystyrene ball instead perhaps. I've had mine for years and they still smell quite strongly of cloves, as does the decoration box.

dudsville Fri 01-Dec-17 22:24:21

I don't know what you are talking about and is life to learn more. What words do I google please?

Insomnibrat Fri 01-Dec-17 22:27:21

Ours always go mouldy within a week too. We don't dry them out though, we use fresh oranges.
I don't think we'll bother this year.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 01-Dec-17 23:23:48

Airing cupboard here too, haven't done them for a long time though.

stayathomegardener Fri 01-Dec-17 23:40:37

Oh my goodness, made these every year since I was a child.
Still have my original pomander, must be 40 years old now.
Dad is making them at uni and her flat mates are most bemused, although agree her room smells divine.
She even sent one home to me. ❤️

Agree with all the tips so far but think you can get away with the faff of orris root if you choose the right oranges.
The big juicy ones will always rot. Choose small tough skinned ones, the least appetising looking the better.
Might have to pre prick with a pin though or your fingers will be raw.

stayathomegardener Fri 01-Dec-17 23:41:27

Not Dad! DD.
Curses on tiny phone screens.

FixItUpChappie Sat 02-Dec-17 04:49:14

Love these and do them every year.....I think if you leave to much space between cloves or there is an area without any, I find they go mouldy.

poooooooop Sat 02-Dec-17 09:30:34

Do you dry the orange out before putting the cloves in, or after?

Is there a speedy way of drying them or am I too late now?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 02-Dec-17 09:41:48

I don't see why it really matters if they're not dry by Christmas, given that they smell best when they're still drying in any case. Go for it!

NewtsSuitcase Sat 02-Dec-17 09:43:45

We never dry ours out and they've never gone rotten. The heating dries them out. We use lots of cloves though.

poooooooop Sat 02-Dec-17 10:38:03

Okay, great! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now