Talk

Advanced search

Pub on Christmas Day for a drink?

(11 Posts)
Cumberlover76 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:55:21

We live in a village and a couple of local pubs (within walking distance) are open 12 to 2 on Christmas Day for drinks. It's only me, DH and DD at home on Christmas day so thinking svpbout popping to the pub for a drink. Does anyone do this? I think it might be fun and will get us out of the house for a bit!

XmasFairy86 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:00:28

I used to work in a pub and you'd be surprised the amount of men that pop in for a drink during the day. If we had a nice local I think we would, my friend lived in a small village and think most of the village pop in to the local Xmas day.

Choccywoccydoo10 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:03:09

It's tradition that me and my family went to our local for a few hours every Christmas and met family friends. Our pub gets crammed full. This year however I won't be going as I have a 17 month old and I know he would get bored.

lightcola Thu 30-Nov-17 22:03:28

We have for the past 3 Years. It’s lovely. Go for it.

Fffion Thu 30-Nov-17 22:03:53

We did it before children. Lovely atmosphere.

I do remember from childhood that the men went to the pub and the women prepared the meal. They were not popular when rolling in half-cut just before the Queen’s Speech.

Pumpkintopf Thu 30-Nov-17 22:03:56

Yes, it’s a nice tradition I think!

CaretakerToNuns Thu 30-Nov-17 22:06:20

I wouldn't myself - probably full of loud lonely single men looking to get violently drunk, not a place for a family on Christmas Day.

storkdelivery Thu 30-Nov-17 22:10:57

Yes, we do this if we spend Christmas at my in-laws. A nice walk across country with the dogs and a drink. It’s always busy and has a nice atmosphere.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Fri 01-Dec-17 09:00:21

Oh I love the pub on Christmas Day. It's tradition in my family to tramp across the fields to our local for a couple after Christmas dinner, it's great wine

Floralnomad Fri 01-Dec-17 09:03:38

Having spent all my early childhood christmases at my alcoholic grandmothers pub waiting for her to close so we could clear up and have our family dinner I cannot imagine anything I would least like to implement as a tradition for my own family .

eastlondoner Fri 01-Dec-17 09:18:23

We have always done this as a family and it's lovely. The pub is full of families.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now