Talk

Advanced search

Writing only your name on xmas cards - does it come across as distant or uncaring?

(11 Posts)
PaxUniversalis Thu 30-Nov-17 13:01:23

I already posted this on 'Chat' but should have posted it here.

DH & I have an agreement that, when writing Christmas cards, he writes all the cards for his family, and I write all the cards for my family. We share this task to save time. When DH writes his family's cards, he writes a couple of friendly words on the card (hoping everyone will have a great Christmas and a smashing new year, or a personal message) + his name. I then write my name on it. Nothing else.
When I write my cards, it's the other way round. I write some text on the cards + my name, then DH writes his name, nothing else.
We've been doing this ever since we got married nearly 20 years ago.

I was talking to a friend about Christmas card writing the other day, and she said: ''Well, really, it's the women who usually write the cards, isn't it'. My friend is quite traditional.

Have I been making a faux pas all those years? I am not from the UK. No one has ever said anything. DH doesn't care either way. He is a practical person and sharing this task makes sense to him.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Thu 30-Nov-17 13:03:37

Your friend is bonkers, what you do is fine!

CandyMelts Thu 30-Nov-17 13:03:53

Has your friend been taught you can only hold a pen with your vagina...

We've just finished ours and done exactly the same as you, makes perfect sense

SnowyPolarBear Thu 30-Nov-17 13:11:54

What you've done is logical.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 30-Nov-17 13:14:26

We just sign for each other, it's never occurred to us to pass them to the other person to sign, those we receive are generally all in one person's handwriting too.

TheHolidayArmadillo Thu 30-Nov-17 13:34:37

What you've done is logical, though we tend to just have one person sign each card from all of us.

DH and I have a system where the person whose name goes first is the person who has the connection to the recipient. So cards to my side get signed Armadillo, Mr armadillo, little armadillo 1 & 2, and vice versa for his side.

PaxUniversalis Thu 30-Nov-17 13:54:52

Thanks everyone. We think passing the cards to the other person to sign makes it a little more personal. But the blurb on the cards is written by the person who has the connection to the recipient.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 30-Nov-17 14:01:56

I always sign my name first regardless of who it's to, I don't know what DH does as I never see any he writes. One of my friends always puts her husband's name first. There's lots of ways of doing it, none of them are wrong.

ScrubbyGarden Thu 30-Nov-17 14:15:13

pax I thought you meant literally sending the card with just your name written (no message at all) which I always think is a bit pointless. But what you do is great, and exactly what we do too. I hereby declare it The Right Way <gavel>!

TellMeItsNotTrue Thu 30-Nov-17 14:24:55

We split the writing but write all names on the ones we do.

We also do the person who knows them best goes first in card

heateallthebuns Thu 30-Nov-17 16:43:40

I've stopped sending Christmas cards altogether. I am finding many others doing the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now