Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for 8yrs old boy (Also Xmas Day birthday!)

(21 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Thu 30-Nov-17 10:52:38

Hi All,

DS will be 8 on Xmas Day and is a massive star wars/lego fan. Needless to say these have been the easy purchases! I have family asking what they can get him and I am totally stuck! He has ASD so is pretty obsessive about Star Wars but I would like him to have some other gifts that aren't all about the force :-)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many Thanks in advance
TOIWK

thegreylady Thu 30-Nov-17 10:57:42

8 yr old dgs:
Slippers
A diary with no lines and a lock
Handwriting pens
Alexa
Speakers
Harry Potter stuff
This is his Christmas list.

TimothyTaylor Thu 30-Nov-17 10:59:34

We've recently discovered Zoob. It's a ball and socket joint style construction toy - really fun. I prefer to to lego as it doesn't break as easily.

gingerclementine Thu 30-Nov-17 11:03:07

Well he's about the age for getting obsessed by Warhammer but that is a seriously expensive hobby... Or Minecraft.
How about Star Wars duvet set, posters etc? A pair of light sabres always goes down well at that age.

Theonlyoneiknow Thu 30-Nov-17 12:51:13

Will check those out, thanks all

TheHolidayArmadillo Thu 30-Nov-17 12:58:17

K'nex?

BearSoFair Thu 30-Nov-17 16:04:34

We've got our 8 year old:

Lego
Solar System kit
Flat pack football
David Walliams - Bad Dad
Beano Monopoly

JellyBellies Thu 30-Nov-17 16:54:28

Snap circuits
Alexa
Scooter?
Magazine subscription

Theonlyoneiknow Thu 30-Nov-17 21:50:14

Great ideas !!! I bought a bundle of Beano magazines from Gumtree at a bargainous price so that's a magazine sub sorted as can give him one every Saturday. They look as new so will be fine :-) Solar system kit sounds interesting as he yesterday asked for a telescope (!)

Snap circuits look great! He has some k'nex already but am looking at other sets and found some great Lego star wars room decals. Thanks for replying!

Brandnewstart Thu 30-Nov-17 22:00:29

He may like a subscription to The Phoenix which is a comic aimed at 8-12 year olds. You could get it for later in the year when the beanos have run out.
Would he like play dough or magic putty?
Does he listen to audio cds? Mine liked Me Gum and Book People have David Walliams for a tenner (8 books).

Debby08 Thu 30-Nov-17 23:28:42

Scooter, bike or mini drone. kids stuff boys love unless he's into indoor activity.

haba Thu 30-Nov-17 23:40:28

DS is v similar.
He is also getting Minecraft figures, and Minecraft Lego (he is having star wars lego for birthday immediately after)
Books- he loves reading, so have got lots for him
Some glow in the dark Star wars spaceship stickers, from Sainsbury's
Headtorch
Cuddly husky toy (because he wants a real one but we can't due to DH asthma)
Star wars rebels season 3 dvd

cad186 Fri 01-Dec-17 00:04:12

I know you said ideas for non star wars stuff but have you seen the game 'eye found it' they do a star wars version that looks pretty good!

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 01-Dec-17 13:03:10

Does anyone know if this is the same as Snap Circuits?
www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Brainbox-Primary-Electronics-Kit/dp/B001MJ7DB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&keywords=cambridge+brainbox&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512133029&sr=1-1#Ask

Thank You!

Annwithnoe Fri 01-Dec-17 19:19:26

I think you can get a type of zoob (mentioned up thread) that works with Lego so that might be a nice transition. it clicks together and pulls apart in a really satisfying way that appeals to kids with sensory issues.

Juanbablo Fri 01-Dec-17 20:31:13

Moon ball

Clutterbugsmum Fri 01-Dec-17 20:39:07

I can vouch for snap circuits my DS 8yrs is always playing/doing experiments with his set.

The Cambridge stuff looks the same as snap circuits.

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 01-Dec-17 21:12:49

Have ordered a box of Zoob thanks it looks great, will look in-depth at other ideas thanks everyone. My mum has got him some Cambridge Brainbox thing so can leave the Snap Circuits shame as they look good too !

Cagliostro Fri 01-Dec-17 21:17:16

Yes I just got that Cambridge set and it seems the same, my DS (also 8 with ASD) adores it

For Christmas he's getting:
Three retired Lego sets (his obsessions are transformers and bionicles)
T-Rex megazord power rangers thingy
Welcome to the dungeon game
Playmobil space thing to share with big sister
Cuddly rainbow dash
Wooden domino rally
Space jigsaw

BTW would recommend star wars dobble and also there's a star wars version of the game carcassonne

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 01-Dec-17 23:16:09

@cagliostro we have just come through the other side of an 2 year transformer obsession :-)

Cagliostro Wed 06-Dec-17 18:25:32

They do hold a certain fascination @Theonlyoneiknow - people can never resist fiddling with them grin it DS it has extended into anything that transforms, even origami is a hobby now because of it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now