Talk

Advanced search

Slime hamper for dd

(17 Posts)
Jenniferturkington Thu 30-Nov-17 10:32:25

Ok, I am going to put together a box of stuff for dd to make her own slime. I'm confused about Borax- do I need it and if so what is the uk alternative?
Also amy other suggestions as to how to pad this pressie out a bit would be appreciated!

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 30-Nov-17 10:53:40

I'd try and look for ways of making it without borax, it is an irritant and can cause skin damage (horror stories all over the web). If you do use it, close supervision, wearing rubber gloves, not breathing in the dust are sensible precautions.

Taffeta Thu 30-Nov-17 10:55:00

Use contact lens solution with boric acid in, that’s safe.

Also add glue - clear and white, shaving foam, glitter, paint, scents.

Lovemusic33 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:55:48

I was going to do the same for dd but I just found a slime making kit in tkmax for £12.99 so got that instead. Also the gelibaf slime bath is quite good (just add it to water). Both dd and I have sensitive sling so I was worried about some of the slime making ingredients as shaving foam makes me itch. The slime bath is gentle on your skin (tried and tested).

Herja Thu 30-Nov-17 16:03:46

My SIL makes one with hair conditioner and corn flour. I'm not sure how, probably googlable. I like that one, it leaves your hands feeling moisturised and smelling nice, rather than wierd and feeling tacky.

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 30-Nov-17 17:38:51

Just bought one yesterday in hobbycraft- they have a whole selection for making slime!

I got-

The basic recipe mind use - pva glue, spray starch and shaving foam

Extras- bicarbonate soda, paints, sparkly sequins, stirring sticks, glitter and bean bag filler (foam slime). Plus a huge collection of rainbow Tupperware boxes to store it in.

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 30-Nov-17 17:39:34

I should say my DDs are experts in slime now so I know what works and doesn't!!

Jenniferturkington Thu 30-Nov-17 17:45:30

Ooh thanks all.
buttercupanddaisies does hobbycraft have the spray starch? What's your dd's recipe?!

Jenniferturkington Thu 30-Nov-17 17:46:14

And that gelibath stuff looks ideal too

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 30-Nov-17 21:50:11

Sorry no the spray starch is £1 in any supermarket

Basic recipe is just pva glue and spray starch. That's all you need

You then add shaving foam, paint etc for detailing!

ItsAHardKn0ckLife1 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:53:22

This worked for us... smile

Fffion Thu 30-Nov-17 22:15:20

It’s hard to get borax now, but you could try EBay. The chemical name is sodium tetraborate. Borax substitutes don’t work.

Another slime is cornflour and water.

Buttercupsandaisies Fri 01-Dec-17 19:12:28

Home bargains sells contact lens solution 89p which contains boric acid which also works!

Valerrie Fri 01-Dec-17 19:16:57

I've been using borax for years and years with classes full of children. I've never, ever had a problem with anyone who has touched it. It makes the best slime!

whatkatydidnext1 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:48:50

Get polystyrene balls !! My dd adds this to slime it’s very effective

whatkatydidnext1 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:51:25

Example

whatkatydidnext1 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:53:06

Oh yes as pp said defiantly get small storage boxes. Dd gets loads from pound shop.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: