Talk

Advanced search

Books to get teenager boy reading!

(39 Posts)
teabag20048 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:28:56

Can anyone recommend books to get a teenage boy regarding again? Done diary of a wimpy kid, Tom Gates. Never liked maze runner alex rider. He does prefer factual books but has to take fiction book into school to read. Many thanks

WingMirrorSpider Thu 30-Nov-17 07:32:03

My DS is a good but reluctant reader. He recently loved The Martian. Lots of science facts even though it’s fiction, and very funny apparently.

Watching this thread with interest as I’m looking for ideas too.

thismeansnothing Thu 30-Nov-17 07:33:48

As a teenager I hated reading. But would settle for autobiographies. Do they have any fave musicians or sports stars they'd like to read about?

teabag20048 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:51:35

I will take a look at that one thank you. He loves science so should be good

teabag20048 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:53:16

I did buy him Bradley Wiggins autobiography it was written for younger readers as he loves cycling but he hasn't picked it up! I did think of footballer autobiography but hubby says lots of them have bad language in 😐

ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Thu 30-Nov-17 07:55:06

Phillip Pullman books for fiction?

Otherwise I don't see why there's any harm in reading autobiographies or other non fiction. At least he is reading something.

4forksake Thu 30-Nov-17 07:56:56

Tim Peakes autobiography

donkir Thu 30-Nov-17 08:06:58

My boy loved the Cherub series by Robert Muchamore and currently reading the Gone series by Micheal Grant.

Locotion Thu 30-Nov-17 08:08:54

This may help

www.booktrust.org.uk/books/bookfinder/

dementedma Thu 30-Nov-17 08:12:40

Bear Grylls books?

CiderwithBuda Thu 30-Nov-17 08:13:25

How old? Huge range in teens - if 13 or so yes the Cherub series. DS loved them although might have been a bit younger when he read them - 11 or 12.

Hunger Games or Gone series although DS wouldn't read them.

Chris Ryan does some books aimed at that age. And there is. Young James Bnd series I think. Also Anthony Horowitz writes for that age group. Oh - Simon Mayo did one about the Peiodic table - fiction.

DS is 16 and for the last three years or so he has read sports biographies pretty much. I'm sure there might be swearing but they hear that everywhere really.

iseenodust Thu 30-Nov-17 08:21:03

Holes
Hoot
The Hobbit
Curious incident of the dog in the night time
Hitchikers guide to the galaxy

MargotsDevil Thu 30-Nov-17 08:35:44

If you are concerned about bad language I'd maybe preview The Martian. Fab book but pretty sure there's a fair bit of swearing.

Topnotes Thu 30-Nov-17 08:38:04

Watching with interest. My boy has liked the Varjak Paw books recently

BearSoFair Thu 30-Nov-17 08:54:55

I was going to suggest The Martian as well, DS1 loved it. He's working through Michael Grant's 'Gone' series at the moment.

wannabestressfree Thu 30-Nov-17 09:15:30

Wonder
Auggie and me
My ds really liked them.

librarylove Thu 30-Nov-17 17:14:13

There's a 'junior' non-sweary edition of The Martian.

goose1964 Thu 30-Nov-17 18:52:28

How good a reader is he? If he's competent but just doesn't dad I would suggest the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson. It start with red Mars.If he's younger some of the Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett's.The main character may be female but there are great male characters too

NoBarbaraGood Thu 30-Nov-17 19:28:13

Perhaps you could try him on books by Ben McIntyre, who writes about espionage and WWII.

My son liked "Rogue Heroes" a history of the SAS, and I've bought "Double Cross" about D-Day spies for him this year.

NoBarbaraGood Thu 30-Nov-17 19:29:14

sorry, "C" and "I" are both lowercase: It's Ben Macintyre

SeaToSki Thu 30-Nov-17 19:34:08

iRobot by Isaac Azimov. Old but a complete classic and feeds into all the AI stuff that is happening right now with self driving cars etc

Books based on heroic escapes in world war two, Escape from Colditz, there is one about the bouncing bomb called, I think, Dam Busters

Freakonomics

The Big Short

Generally look at the Sci Fi genral and fantasy worlds. If he likes cats there is a fantasy series called Warriors that has about 30 stories

ihearttc Thu 30-Nov-17 20:33:04

DS1 is reading a fab series at the moment. Despite being a great reader he just can't be bothered but has to for school. They are by Chris Bradford...Bodyguard series. He got one out of school library so figured they must be ok for their age group (he's in Y8)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 30-Nov-17 22:33:57

My DS liked the Goosebump books when he was early teens

traviata Thu 30-Nov-17 22:39:51

Ready Player One

how old is he?

BeauticianNotMagician81 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:47:35

Mine are 11 and 12 and love;
Skull duggery pleasant
Spooks
Heroes of Olympus
Anything by David Baddiel
Anything by David Walliams
Harry Potter

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: