Talk

Advanced search

Should we go all out and buy her a carbon bike?

(8 Posts)
Salubrious Wed 29-Nov-17 23:12:56

My lovely step-daughter has got into road biking over the last year. One of her close buddies is into cycling and she has lent her a fully carbon bike. My step-daughter has asked for a light-weight bike for Christmas and as she’s shown enthusiasm for the sport I wondered if we should go all out and get her a carbon bike?

She has entered quite a few races this year so I feel that a carbon bike certainly wouldn’t go to waste and she is going on a biking holiday with her friend and her family next year. My husband thinks spending upwards of 1k on her for one present is too much and whilst it is a lot of money she has shown determination and love for her sport so it’s not a flash in the pan. She said that aluminium bikes are heavy and slow her down.

I’d never over rule my husband but wondered if there are any cyclists willing to opine?

Scotlass Wed 29-Nov-17 23:19:57

Can you buy second hand to make it more affordable
Planet X or Ribble are more reasonable priced accordingtodhcyclingnerd
Depends how serious she's going to take it I suppose

ihavetogoshoppingnow Thu 30-Nov-17 08:28:59

How old is she? Is she going to outgrow it quickly or will it last a long time. Have you looked into second hand?

ThatWasNotLove Thu 30-Nov-17 09:05:00

Conversely, as someone who rides a heavy bike (not competing), aren't they better for training as they essentially add resistance?

Salubrious Thu 30-Nov-17 13:36:32

She’s 16 so unlikely to grow very much more now I don’t suppose. I have to admit I hadn’t even thought about second hand - I have been browsing and there are some deals to be had for almost new bikes. Thanks for your help, I’ve just got to decide which one!

doodlejump1980 Thu 30-Nov-17 19:20:28

Get on the singletrack forums. Lots of bikes being sold there in the run up to Christmas.

Salubrious Thu 30-Nov-17 19:25:02

Thanks Doodle I will check that out. I may have found one on gumtree which looks like great value and has all of the mod cons. Her grandmother is going to buy her a Garmin (GPS I think) and we will buy her some accessories.

Trialsmum Thu 30-Nov-17 20:52:36

Awww it sounds like she has a great hobby and is working really hard. I bet she’ll be made up with a decent bike and it sounds like 2nd hand is the way to go. It’s got to be better than hanging round the streets like lots of teenagers, hey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now