Talk

Advanced search

How to put lights on Christmas tree?!

(34 Posts)
TomatoTomAto Wed 29-Nov-17 20:40:14

I usually wrap them around the tree but it's a complete faff. I, without fail, end up getting tangled, sweaty and seriously pissed off!
I'm sure I've read something about doing them up and down the tree but can't quite picture how to do it.

How do you do yours and stay sane?

BarbaraOcumbungles Wed 29-Nov-17 20:43:36

I put the tree up in the middle of the room and walk round and round it with the lights. It is important to check the lights work before you begin grin

I have never understood why lights don't come with a ring that goes off the top of the tree with multiple strands coming down.

TomatoTomAto Wed 29-Nov-17 20:48:06

Omg Barbara! You need to patent that idea!
I'd buy them 😂

peachypips Wed 29-Nov-17 20:55:23

I want to know this too. Surely there is a genius way.

Annwithnoe Wed 29-Nov-17 21:02:46

I've been giving this a lot of thought too. My tree is in three sections so I was thinking that if I could put three sets of lights on in a way that I could fold the whole thing up, I'd have a pre-lit tree ...kinda
Or maybe a fire hazard
Or maybe a tangled snarl waiting in the attic for next year,

Payfrozen Wed 29-Nov-17 21:09:00

If your tree is against a wall, zig zag them back and forth across the front and to the sides but not round and round or you'll have a wrestling match getting them off

Helloisitmeoryou Wed 29-Nov-17 21:12:05

There is a thing which you just pull over the tree with lights on. I'll find a link!

Helloisitmeoryou Wed 29-Nov-17 21:13:58

https://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/home-accessories/tree-dazzler-easy-led-christmas-tree-lights/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiLHwztnk1wIVFRMbCh3eWQkOEAQYASABEgLLRvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Helloisitmeoryou Wed 29-Nov-17 21:16:55

@BarbaraOcumbungles the jml lights are literally your idea in real life!

LizzieSiddal Wed 29-Nov-17 21:17:05

I do the same as Batbata.

Tree in the middle of the room,
plug lights in and test they’re working m, before putting them in tree, then put lights on, I always start at the bottom and walk around the tree.

I find it easy to put them in, it’s takung them off which drives me nuts!

SleepingStandingUp Wed 29-Nov-17 21:23:48

What goes first though?
Lights
Tinsel
Ornaments

thegoodnameshadgone Wed 29-Nov-17 21:34:12

Tree dazzler. Omg. smilesmilesmile anyone know of you can set it just to white?

thegoodnameshadgone Wed 29-Nov-17 21:34:36

Lights tinsel then ornaments

dementedma Wed 29-Nov-17 21:35:44

Lights
Ornaments
Tinsel

thegoodnameshadgone Wed 29-Nov-17 21:40:23

I’ve emailed Jml to see if it can be set to white only. I shall let you all know just incase anyone is interested in matching their Christmas lights with their decor smile

Cocolepew Wed 29-Nov-17 21:58:47

Our work tree has the dingley down lights in white.

Cocolepew Wed 29-Nov-17 22:03:27

This ebay listing says they can be set to white thegoodname

Chilver Wed 29-Nov-17 22:10:28

One of us holds the lights up (after the other one - not me - detangles them first!) and 'feeds' them through their hand and the other holds the tree and turns the tree round and round and round until voila! all the lights are wrapping nicely round the tree!

Mistoffelees Wed 29-Nov-17 22:14:38

I start by putting the lights to the trunk of the tree then go out along the branch, then back to the trunk, round to the next branch, out along the branch, back into the trunk etc and going up to the next level of branches when I need to, this uses a lot of lights but looks lovely and even.

PositivelyPERF Wed 29-Nov-17 22:27:25

Tree in middle of room.
Glass of Cointreau on side table.
Start with lights at top and walk around the tree.
Take a sip of Cointreau every time you walk past.
By the time you get to the bottom of the tree, you'll not give a shit what the lights look like.
This is tried and tested method I use every Xmas.

ifcatscouldtalk Wed 29-Nov-17 22:31:37

I love your method positively. I'll try that!

A1Sharon Wed 29-Nov-17 22:38:38

I'm an easy going sort really, but tree lights are where my obsessive side comes out. Big time.
I won't bore you all with the intricacies, but it involves hundreds of lights ( they must be evenly dispersed from the trunk out to the tip of the branches, y'see?), one shining onto the star at the top, they must accompany the shape of the tree. I achieve this with small, green, gardeners twine.
Once I am happy, and have checked for 'gaps' and the overall appearance from outside, then the kids and DH can come in and decorate it. And I can unclench.

evilgiraffe Wed 29-Nov-17 22:50:24

Ensure lights are in a neat coil
Check lights work
Put end of light string at top of tree, so as to illuminate angel/star
Pass coil around tree (either reaching round yourself or passing to and from a helper), paying out light string as you go
Continue until all lights are on tree
Plug in lights
Adjust position of lights if there are uneven patches
Decorate tree (tinsel/beads first, then baubles)

Easy, so long as you don't have a giant tree...

goose1964 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:53:25

Sharon are you DHs non existent sister? I have a great tip to check for even lights if you wear glasses, turn off all other lights then take off your glasses, the lights are less sharp and it's easier to see gaps. Then tinsel, beaded garlands and finally baubles

AtSea1979 Wed 29-Nov-17 23:00:08

No no no you've all been doing it all wrong for years.

It's tinsel first then lights then ornaments.
I have a fake tree that's in three parts I put the lights on the bottom part before I put the next section in. Zigzagging the front of the tree then the last section (narrow bit at top I got round and round like helter skelter. But def tinsel first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now