Talk

Advanced search

Hover boards or whatever they're called?

(12 Posts)
Cherrypie32 Tue 28-Nov-17 10:19:34

What is the real name for these things so I can Google? Has anyone bought one this year and if so where from? Obvs trying to avoid Chinese imports that blow up, thats if I even decide to buy DS the present of his dreams...

AuntLydia Tue 28-Nov-17 10:21:42

Mine have asked for these, I'm persuading them away from it. They are ludicrously expensive for what they are and I can't even fathom where they'd use them as they're not really allowed on pavements.

ImCatbug Tue 28-Nov-17 10:24:10

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them called balance scooters before, might be wrong though.
Be aware that it’s now illegal to use these on any public property, so they can’t be driven on the pavement or footpaths, so you’d pretty much be stuck using it at home in the garden.

NewtsSuitcase Tue 28-Nov-17 10:27:48

Their use is illegal in public places and so I wouldn't bother. They're called hover boards or segway boards though.

Cherrypie32 Tue 28-Nov-17 11:33:01

I agree, not what ideally I'd buy but there is a certain amount of peer pressure that his friends have them or getting them. We do have a large park near that he can use it in although don't know how well they go on rougher ground. I certainly wouldn't let him on it near a road.

Cherrypie32 Tue 28-Nov-17 11:35:08

Actually, not for use in the park then either...will talk him out of it!

hmmwhatatodo Wed 29-Nov-17 23:10:28

Awful things. A boy died using one when he slipped off it while waiting to cross the road and was dragged away under a bus in front of his family. I can’t bear the sight of them.

HouseOfGoldandBones Wed 29-Nov-17 23:13:26

Going against the grain here, but DS13 got one last year (HomeBargains) & he loved it, and still uses it.

I wouldn't allow him to use it near roads or on any pavements, but he uses it in the garden & in the park.

He has never been told off for using it in the park.

DiscoDeviant Wed 29-Nov-17 23:15:27

I’ve bought my 12 year old son one for Christmas. He loves his friends. I got it from the leading manufacturer in Germany. It’s a safe one. I just googled hover boards.

NewtsSuitcase Thu 30-Nov-17 07:28:51

They're fine if you have the space at home or know someone with private land. Otherwise what is the point unless you're going to knowingly allow them to break the law?

Everythingwillbeok Thu 30-Nov-17 07:45:20

My DD got one they first came out about 2.5 years ago. Off Amazon - from China and it's been fab. Charges up quickly and she's had no end of fun on it on the street and the park. Going slowly and not getting in anyones way - I always walk with her in case of accidents. She has never fallen off it and to me it's been an excellent present £299 isn't cheap though.
It depends How much your child would use it, if the novelty wears off then its not a good buy.
As for the illegal side of things do you really think anyone would call the police if they saw a child with a parent in the local park on one?
You get one if you want to they are brilliant grin

Chippytheelf29 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:49:55

OP I got one from bluefin this year. A uk company and really impressed with it. Have a look at the cart attachment for them also. There called swegways I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now