Talk

Advanced search

What do you do on new years day?

(16 Posts)
Tuttytoffee Sat 25-Nov-17 20:32:00

As the title says. What do you like doing new years day? Off for the 1st time in years!

BreakHerOffAKitKat Sat 25-Nov-17 20:33:13

A nice walk on the beach - usually freezing and blustery but so refreshing after the prior week of gluttony!

HRTpatch Sat 25-Nov-17 20:33:57

Absolutely nothing. We go to a house party the night before and get home about 4.
I usually prep a lasagne NYE so I don't have to worry about cooking.
When kids were small we'd drive into London early to the museums.

MuddlingThroughLife Sat 25-Nov-17 22:06:46

We have a house party NYE so new years day is a lazy day tidying up, watching tv and getting ready for work the next day.

Stompythedinosaur Sat 25-Nov-17 22:24:27

We stay at friends for NYE, normally have a walk with them in the morning then back home for a treasure hunt (which I set on NYE before we go). This year I'm on nightshift NYE so will be sleeping.

XmasStartsInNovember Sun 26-Nov-17 01:03:18

Chinese takeaway and random films/boxsets. It's normally the first chance to chill and veg out in front of the tv, most of xmas is spent running around trying to see everyone.

ScreamingValenta Sun 26-Nov-17 01:16:55

Best NYD I had, a couple of years ago, I went for a curry with friends.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 26-Nov-17 04:10:19

DM always does an open house on NYD, various members of the family come and go and there's a constantly replenished buffet, I bloody love it!

Dons1975 Sun 26-Nov-17 04:14:19

Always a massage family party New Year’s Day starts about 4pm am in Scotland tho so we have the 2nd as a bank holiday to recover.

Cupcakegirl13 Sun 26-Nov-17 04:32:05

We have a lie in followed by a roast dinner and movies.

pollywollydoodle Sun 26-Nov-17 04:36:56

Lie in, brisk walk, curry, film...

Tuttytoffee Sun 26-Nov-17 08:51:46

We are planning a quiet NYE this year as Dp is in work at 7am NYD but I'm off and thinking about doing something with the dc. I'm thinking a nice food outing or invite parents over and cook.

Lucisky Sun 26-Nov-17 09:49:17

We havent got the stamina for new years eve anymore, age has caught up with us. Instead we go out for a lovely lunch at our local pub after a walk with the dog, then relax in front of the fire and tv pm.
Incidentally, the pub is always packed new years day, so many other people have the same idea.
Our thinking is that we now celebrate new years day, rather than the night before.

Glowerglass Sun 26-Nov-17 09:51:16

Go out for lunch then go for a walk. This year we might do the looney dook.

QuimJongUn Sun 26-Nov-17 10:13:59

It's almost like a Christmas day mark II here. I'm Welsh so we do Calennig, loosely (no knocking on doors singing, not sure my English neighbours would be up for that!). But we exchange a few small gifts in the morning (nothing like the Christmas excess, more like a few books, nice chocolates, bottles of ale etc). Then we open the champagne and get cracking on lunch, which is basically a Christmas dinner. Carols in the background - we celebrate Christmas right up until twelfth night so perfectly acceptable fsmile. After lunch it's a lovely slump until board games and a big film in the evening. The whole thing is lovely.

We don't do new year's eve, so it's our big new year celebration. I love that it's like Christmas with much less expense, stress and ridiculously high expectations - very relaxed, very cosy.

Can't wait!

pollywollydoodle Thu 30-Nov-17 14:38:59

Bloody hell glowerglass, you brave/mad soul!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now