Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had one of those massive serrano ham legs?

(15 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 23-Nov-17 15:39:51

Lidl have them atm. Worth getting? How do you slice it? Where do you keep it? How long will it keep? And other such questions.

I'm hosting Christmas, NY and a post NY party. Which would it be best for?

(Oh God, WHY am I hosting Christmas, NY and a post NY party???)

scurryfunge Thu 23-Nov-17 15:43:07

I have a couple in the past. Not as tasty as Iberico but much cheaper. I kept it covered in a cool larder. You need a very very sharp knife otherwise you'll hack it and not slice.

Polyethyl Thu 23-Nov-17 15:45:19

We loved having one.
But you do have to buy the stand and a special ham slicing knife.
I don't think you could improvise the stand. You wouldn't be able to slice it without one.
And you could use an ordinary sharp knife, but you won't get the same slicing effect.

It was delicious, and it was a party entertainment to have a go at slicing it. And no one was seriously hurt!

ShiftyMcGifty Thu 23-Nov-17 16:03:08

It comes with a stand. At least the one from Asda did. It says it lasts months but be forewarned it will be mould even with best of saran-wrapping. This is apparently perfectly normal and you just scrape it off. I must say it put us off it. We gifted one which was divided by several larger families and that worked much better as everyone had a manageable chunk for 2-3 weeks rather than a leg for months.

Singadream Thu 23-Nov-17 18:55:24

We have a brilliant electric Ham carver from Lakeland.

Singadream Thu 23-Nov-17 18:56:25

www.lakeland.co.uk/31579/Lakeland-Easy-Store-Food-Slicer?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgNrQBRC0ARIsAE-m-1zK39dDp5b0A5DsBMuLBJXlt1hsxnD1B3K5i3dzZr4tuoIyhNvKyY0aAkvlEALw_wcB&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!234720657490!!!g!44001830168!&ef_id=WhcZrAAAAHnyF4kF:20171123185540:s

BlackForestCake Sat 25-Nov-17 22:57:42

Had one once, wouldn’t buy it again. I didn’t think the ham actually tasted very good, and carving ham is a lot more difficult than it looks!

madeyemoodysmum Sat 25-Nov-17 22:59:43

They have a mini one in Aldi that would be more practical I think.

GlomOfNit Sat 25-Nov-17 23:14:32

I've coveted one of these from Aldi or Lidl ever since a family Christmas with relatives in Portugal where my great-aunt had one on the sideboard. My idea of heaven is as much cured pig product as I can stuff in my face, but honestly, I don't think it's worth getting one for our little family of four, two of whom won't eat it at all. sad

Mould is ok, tends to form on the outer surface. I scrape it off choritzo all the time. I think if forming on the actual cut surface I'd be a teeny bit iffy. You might also get a white deposit forming which is more likely to be salts.

Helpotron3000 Sun 26-Nov-17 02:04:03

The Lidl one is...bad. The idea is fun but the actual meat on the Lidl one isn't tasty

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Sun 26-Nov-17 02:07:41

It's a good idea if the ham leg is good quality... good ham legs are expensive! Also I can't be bothered with the faff of slicing it myself!

IHeartKingThistle Sun 26-Nov-17 09:00:27

Hmmm, might have a look at the mini one!

HappyEverIftar Sun 26-Nov-17 10:49:25

Had one from Lidl I think it was, last year. Was £30 and came with it’s own stand. There were 5 adults and we had so much left, I sent it home with DM. I think our problem was that we had so much other food, it was just another thing to eat and get through. Probably a good idea if you have a lot of guests.

Pumkinfailure Sun 26-Nov-17 21:57:51

We had one once and it was fab, we left it out over the ‘season’ and guests just helped themselves whenever anyone popped round.

Toomanycats99 Sun 26-Nov-17 22:03:52

I saw the Asda one today. I was in a small town outside Barcelona for work in December last year and they had this amazing shop just selling cured meats. The legs hanging up ranged from 300-600 euros!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: