Talk

Advanced search

What to give people in their early twenties

(28 Posts)
PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:09:10

We have three women to buy for in their early twenties.

Our budget isn’t large (£50) each but they are my DSDs so we didn’t want to give them cash which is DH’s lazy preference!

Last year I did hampers with really personalised contents - books, fave treat foods etc, but they seemed non plussed.

We have done everything over the years - nice handbags, tickets to join events etc etc. One outearns us so DH doesn’t feel like £50 would look special enough for her in particular so he is happy to take suggestions.

Or should I go with the easy option and we could do a small stocking each and give them £50. Or does it look like we haven’t put much thought into it?

goose1964 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:12:23

Do they have any hobbies, DD would be over the moon with a Waterstons voucher, in fact her entire wishlist is books. What about posh smelliest?

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 18:14:01

Amazon vouchers

readyforno2 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:16:23

What about a voucher for a spa day?

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:17:17

Not really! Two are into clothes and makeup but we wouldn’t dream of buying them any now they are older as they would rather choose their own. The other would love Home stuff but is quite picky too.

I think we have just done the carefully chosen stuff to death for them. One is a student so a book voucher might go down well but she is also quite scatty so I could imagine her never getting round to using it!

People seem to have much more expensive tastes these days too!

It doesn’t help that I don’t like buying stuff for the sake of it.

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:18:43

Ready, they live in separate parts of the country otherwise I think I would do that. Although there is a nice spa near us they could visit but they often visit separately now. I might look into how much vouchers are there. I will go if they can’t!

chipsandpeas Tue 21-Nov-17 18:19:35

just give deenhams/john lewis vouchers and they can choose something for themselves

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 18:22:00

Are vouchers better than cash?

Missjaysays Tue 21-Nov-17 18:25:20

Yes I think vouchers are better than cash because you’re kind of forced to treat yourself. When I get given cash it goes in my purse and disappears on nothing.

chipsandpeas Tue 21-Nov-17 18:27:31

well i think so, especially if you want them to buy something, cash can just eaten up in normal bills or spending

Ttbb Tue 21-Nov-17 18:42:34

I'm in my early twenties. I would be delighted with any of the bellow:
Hotel chocolat or Persat
L'occitane hand creams in those little tubes
True Grace/Oliver Bonas/Similar scented candle
Novel (something generic like Thomas hardy for example)
Tin of tea (T2, F&M, etc)
Box of shortbread
Bath salts
A bottle of nuetrally coloured nail varnish
A scarf/hat/gloves
Pyjamas
Cashmere socks
A nice teapot
A vase (I just need one)
A spa voucher thing

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 20:19:40

MissJay, yes that happens to me too but I kind of figured they could spend it on what they want. I love your list Ttbb, perhaps I’m overthinking the need for it to be exactly what they want.

MerlinsScarf Tue 21-Nov-17 20:28:30

I'm thinking of what we've bought for tricky female relatives lately, will come back when I've had some inspiration but just wanted to say that the hampers sound absolutely lovely! I would have really appreciated that kind of gift.

Are there any subscriptions they would like? For example a few months of a beauty sample box, or Vogue etc? And then some nice chocs or similar to open on the day.

jocktamsonsbairn Tue 21-Nov-17 20:36:17

What about a voucher for their favourite restaurant or bar so they can go out for a meal?

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:14:30

Thanks Merlin, I was so pleased with them! Fave alcohol, books, food, gift card (Costa for one/Nando’s for another etc) but it cost considerably more than £50 and we really need to stick to a budget this year which I’m sure they are aware of and understand. I would have loved one myself!

Mrsfloss Tue 21-Nov-17 21:36:37

WHat about a glossy box? Or another beauty box to come every month.

The pink parcel one sounds mad (sanitary pads! But it is so lovely with chocolate and nice tea and beauty surprises each month!) I love it.

I would love:

Jo malone candle
Jo malone anything!
Voucher towards spa.
Audible/amazon voucher
An echo
Afternoon tea voucher

wendz86 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:38:44

I would ask them what they want ? Better than spending money on something they aren’t interested in .

hungryradish Tue 21-Nov-17 21:41:22

Topshop vouchers!

CaseStudyResearch Tue 21-Nov-17 21:43:52

Really like TTBB's list. I'm just outside of my early 20s and would appreciate anything on that list.

Other things that they might like:
Posh coffee (if they already have a machine) or Aeropress/cafetiere with travel mug or cappuccino cups
Tote bag - Zara normally have some gorgeous ones
Blanket scarf - again, Zara are great for this
Silky kimono style dressing gown
Jewellery/knick knack box - Oliver Bonas have some gorgeous marble ones for about £30
Wall art - can easily pick up something on etsy for under £50. I'd love something relating to travel and places we've lived to brighten out rented flat.

I'd be tempted to go PJs (£20) cashmere socks (£20) and the rest on a candle/Lush goodies.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Tue 21-Nov-17 21:45:42

My cousin is 23 and last year we bought her a really nice set of spices and a recipe book. She adored it and mentions it every time we see her.

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:49:47

Cashmere socks are a nice idea - the kind of thing you don’t buy for herself but are lovely to have.

We could ask them but it seems hard to do that without revealing the meagre budget.

lurkymclurkerson Tue 21-Nov-17 21:51:09

Another one in my 20s - love Ttbb’s list!

My DH and I love getting restaurant vouchers as it means we get a night out, especially somewhere like carluccios where anything we don’t spend on the meal can go on treats from the deli.

Alternatively you can get a voucher for Jo Malone and they offer a free hand massage to go with it, you just book in online and it’s a nice way to spend an afternoon! £30 would go towards some perfume or a candle there and they’d get to have a bit of an “experience” choosing it as well, and then you could do little bits and pieces with the remaining £20.

VanillaLatteAndCake Tue 21-Nov-17 21:52:54

Pyjamas. Next do lovely ones. And if you're quick, Debenhams have got 50% off dressing gowns and slippers for today only.

PurpleStar123 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:53:53

I didn’t know Jo Malone does that. We have done Mac makeover thingys where they get a makeover and £££ to spend on make up.

Geepee71 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:52:42

Boots has some interesting gift vouchers, for more unique things like a 3-month book subscription, outside your budget, but Year of cake, curry sub. Etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now