Talk

Advanced search

Elf on the shelf

(10 Posts)
PlaymobilPirate Mon 20-Nov-17 20:21:48

Planning in doing Elf on the Shelf for ds (5) this year. Does anyone do it? 🎅

Just wondering if I need to buy the real branded one (think it comes with a story??) Or will a cheapy one be just as good?

TheBlueMeaniesAreComing Mon 20-Nov-17 22:22:32

We only have the cheapy ones. I couldn’t justify the price of the legitimate one

buzzmoon Mon 20-Nov-17 22:26:54

I just got the proper one in Tesco for £3

Stompythedinosaur Tue 21-Nov-17 01:33:56

I am doing this under duress this year. I don't like the real elf, it's too creepy looking, so I have an alternative elf.

I was determined not to do the elf thing as I'm not keen on it, but last year so many of dd1's classmates had one that she felt quite left out.

mumisnotmyname Tue 21-Nov-17 01:52:07

I couldn't find an elf, so I have a largish male and female fabric winter gnome. My DS said he thought that Santa threw the gnomes out over Christmas because they were so badly behaved. I am inclined to agree. We have only done this for a two years, it is the DC's absolute highlight of Xmas, much more than Santa. There is no checking on behaviour or reporting back, just small gifts on first and last days and chaos in between.

LadybirdsAreFab Tue 21-Nov-17 02:01:07

We do the same as mumisnotmyname, DH is onboard as well. Some days she doesn't move, some days she moves but doesn't do anything but most of the time she does something. Most are fairly easy, Pinterest is your friend. She never does anything super messy. It's fun.

BitOfFun Tue 21-Nov-17 02:16:31

My children are long grown up, but if I thought Elf On The Shelf had sinister implications, they were dwarfed by seeing "Santa Cams" for sale grin.

thiskittenbarks Tue 21-Nov-17 02:31:50

@buzzmoon was that in a store or online? I was just about to order one for £25 from amazon!

NeverNic Tue 21-Nov-17 09:26:43

I also find the 'real' Elf on the Shelf dolls creepy. We have a soft teddy style Elf. The boys love him! Our Elf is more of an Advent Elf. He leaves them notes about christmassy things to do - i.e. write a Christmas List, post Christmas cards etc. He sometimes brings them gifts - like a Christmas T-shirt or a craft set from the pound shop, or occasionally a chocolate coin. I found it really helped to organise me last year!! I've also ordered the advent letters from www.elfforchristmas.co.uk this year and one of those letters will turn up each day. I figured, if nothing else they could have one of those each day when I was lacking inspiration or if sickness hits and we aren't up to do anything.

PlaymobilPirate Sat 25-Nov-17 09:40:19

Bought an elf from Tesco yesterday... £3!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now