Talk

Advanced search

Secret Santa gift for trainee midwife??

(15 Posts)
Oddish Mon 20-Nov-17 14:01:57

I have to get a secret Santa gift for a trainee midwife, who I don’t know very well but she is lovely 😊 She is in her 30s, a mother and obviously passionate about pregnancy, birth and all that goes with it. The budget it £5 but I would go higher. I like all the ‘mama art’ type totes and pin badges as they’re a bit different but don’t know if they might be a bit cheesy? A charity gift might be nice? I am truly stuck - halp!

NeverNic Mon 20-Nov-17 14:49:31

Some of the YesMum cards? I think they are around £10, though worth seeing if there is a Black Friday deal / money off / free delivery etc. They are packs of positive affirmations, created by a hypnobirther. You can get ones for new mums, as well as Student specific ones. She might like that?http://www.londonhypnobirthing.co.uk/shop/

Oddish Mon 20-Nov-17 15:06:10

Thank you never I have heard of those cards, keep seeing people on Instagram with them, so will have a look.

AsMuchUseAsAMarzipanDildo Mon 20-Nov-17 15:42:51

Some nice hand cream as washing them a gazillion times a day buggers them. Similar theme, some nice foot treatment stuff for when she’s been on her feet all day. Or a thermal coffee mug for days when she’s in community on visits. Or a nice book to inspire her after a tough shift and she’s feeling compassion fatigued - Something like Ina May Gaskin’s “Spiritual Midwifery” or Hollie McNish “No-one told me” or “One Day Young in Hackney” by Jenny Lewis.

Oddish Mon 20-Nov-17 15:52:10

Thank you marzipandildo (love it 😂), I don’t know if she’s a reader, or sick of reading, although all those books are lovely. I didn’t know if hand cream/travel mug were a bit predictable?
These are normal mugs but don’t know if a bit offensive?? meresoeur.com/collections/mama-mugs

eastlondoner Mon 20-Nov-17 16:03:49

A bottle of wine

Oddish Mon 20-Nov-17 16:15:58

She does drink wine but it’s a bit uninspired and £5 isn’t going to get anything decent.

eastlondoner Mon 20-Nov-17 16:23:33

I think it's better than buying her something work related though.

sausagerollsrock Mon 20-Nov-17 16:24:35

A nice fobwatch?

Chocolatecake12 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:28:57

A trainee midwife is only a part of who she is - she’s also a Mum, partner, colleague and friend I imagine.
Would you like a work or study themed gift for Christmas?
IMO go with something you would buy her if she wasn’t training to be a midwife.
Some things I’ve received in our works secret Santa that I’ve loved have been
Candies
Scarf
Gloves
Nice hand lotion
Notebook
Wine
Chocolates

Stickerrocks Mon 20-Nov-17 17:33:54

Well you could go the whole hog and see if there is a Black Friday deal on a box set of Call the Midwife! Previous secret santas which went down well at work:

10 tins of soup with their labels removed so it was a lucky dip which was opened for lunch (not guilty of doing this)
Costa voucher
L'Occitane or Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream
Quiz in a box games
Luxury hot choc
Fluffy socks

Our favourite secret santa had a £1 budget. Everyone either bought a lottery ticket or something very tacky from Poundland.

Mrsmadevans Mon 20-Nov-17 17:42:52

My DD1 is a trainee midwife and she said that a
www.amazon.co.uk/Cassanovum-Ovulation-Pregnancy-Calculator-Midwifery/dp/B01N7B0PFK/ref=pd_sim_121_3?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=mumsnetforum-21&refRID=YZYNWPV57R12NZHN7DGZ
or a
www.amazon.co.uk/Spengler-Pinard-Aluminium-Stethoscope-Bell/dp/B00GWZUH1O/ref=sr_1_52_s_it?s=drugstore&keywords=pinard&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1511199693&sr=1-52
she said they are always going missing and they are a Godsend! HTH

Oddish Mon 20-Nov-17 17:50:22

Ooh a pinard could be good, I’ve got a wooden one myself we used (undiagnostically!) in my last preg and it’s a lovely object. Could look for one of those.

Thanks everyone for the ideas smile

KC225 Tue 21-Nov-17 01:57:58

Headtorch

cheeseandbiscuitsplease1 Tue 21-Nov-17 09:25:15

I wouldn't get her something work related. I agree with chocolatecake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now