Talk

Advanced search

STEM Toys for Yr1 boy

(9 Posts)
NeverNic Sun 19-Nov-17 18:04:06

I'm struggling to come up with options for my son this year. He has more lego than he can store, with more coming from GP's so I don't want to buy any more for him. He loves science at school and construction things. Anyone think of something that might be good for him? Most of the things I've spotted are 8+ but he's not 6 until the summer. He hasn't come up with any suggestions himself so I'm struggling this year. Thanks!

PS. No slime. My nerves can't take it!! HAHA

booellesmum Sun 19-Nov-17 18:05:12

Hot wires KIT for making electrical circuits.

booellesmum Sun 19-Nov-17 18:07:40

Hot wires is 8+ but mine were younger when we bought it and fine with supervision. Instructions very easy to follow.

busymummy0411 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:09:05

Snap circuits?

Geegee4 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:22:59

My DD does coding club in year 2- she loves the ozobot she is learning to use code with. She is also a big fan of roominate- a building set for budding architects where you can wire up simple circuits etc. Goldiblox is great too- no wiring but building components to get kids thinking about cantilevers, pulleys, centrifuges etc in a very kid friendly way. We also love laser pegs here- there is a neat set on amazon now that’s a tank and you can wire up the motor to the belts on the wheels.

However, at year 1 age even things like Lego and kids Chem sets are STEM toys. Oh and anything from the science museum range of toys...

Lovemusic33 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:25:03

Knex?

MarmaladeAtkinsX Sun 19-Nov-17 18:35:57

Have a look at Thames and Kronos. They do a range of sets for all aspects of STEM.

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Sun 19-Nov-17 18:48:02

A marble run might go down well, DS got one last year at 5.5 and it gets lots of use.

If he likes construction toys but you want something not Lego then K'nex are good (and come in a plastic tub so easy to store). Mine also like ZOOBs and actually they brought out an add-on so they can be used with Lego.

I think it's hard at that age as most of the decent STEM toys seem to be for slightly older children. Plus it seems to me that every toy store is jumping on the bandwagon and labeling every dubious pile of shite as a STEM toy hmm.

WhispersOfWickedness Sun 19-Nov-17 18:49:55

Magformers. Pricey, but they are played with every day in my house by dc aged 6 and 7. Really wonderful, tactile, great quality building toy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now