Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

3 yr old girl...

(17 Posts)
Arlama10 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:51:40

I'm totally stuck on what to get my dd for Xmas! She will be 3 on 7th Dec which makes it even harder! She doesn't really play with much either but loves small figures (animals,playmobil etc) and did show a huge interest in these big plastic bug toys she found at playgroup but I don't even know where I could find those!?

For her birthday she is getting a wooden toy shop, baby doll with bed, mlp train, farm animals and some bath toys. She's getting a doll & stroller from her nan.

So far for Xmas I've got her a wooden kitchen, peppa plane and happyland bus. Nana has got her that fisher price movi. I'd really like to get her some fun but educational things. Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Annwithnoe Tue 14-Nov-17 21:29:17

A kitchen seems very similar to a shop imo, I'd probably give one or the other. Also Id not bother with the bed and doll if nana is giving a pram and doll.
It already sounds like a lot tbh, especially at that age. Good quality play food (wooden or cloth) for the shop/kitchen and pots and pans (ikeas are great); wooden blocks; dress up clothes or play silks, jigsaws (whatever level she's at);

Avebury Tue 14-Nov-17 22:35:19

Jigsaws, books, anything that works on hand/eye co ordination and strengthening her hands so play doh, peg board, tiddlywinks, pop up pirate game.
Art and Craft stuff.
Orchard Toys games
Snakes and ladders
Magnatiles
Puppet theatre
Kinetic sand
Stickle bricks
Duplo

And non educational but a big favourite in our house was a hobby horse.

Avebury Tue 14-Nov-17 22:49:54

Aqua draw and Mega sketcher good for that age too

Zombiemama Tue 14-Nov-17 22:53:52

Snap!
Our DD is 3 just before Christmas also!
We have got her a leap pad leap reader thing with some preschool & nursery level activity books, a balance bike, some age appropriate games, puzzles, a character house next stage car seat with her favourite character on it.

She loves playing with little figures from her Disney palace and toot toot family sets. A tent was also a big hit with her.

Arlama10 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:19:00

Annwithnoe i agree with you on the doll and bed set but I had already bought it before her nan got the stroller. She sees her a few times a week so stroller & doll will most likely stay there. Would love dress up costumes but can't seem to find any I'm after in her size. She's tiny. The play food looks good on ikea so I think I'll get her those as well as the wooden till.

MrsHathaway Tue 14-Nov-17 23:24:47

She'll get unwrapping fatigue pretty quickly, so I would get very little else.

A book - maybe one with sounds or flaps so she can "read" it herself.

New pyjamas.

You could look for additional Peppa toys in Home Bargains or similar - the playgroup set is usually £10 or so and contains lots of characters for role play.

New crayons and a colouring book - these fit well in a stocking btw ...

Facecloth and bubble bath with a character on.

Arlama10 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:29:32

Some great ideas, thank you! I just had to google magnatiles..never heard of them before but they look like something she'd enjoy as well as the stickle bricks.

Zombiemama it's so difficult when they have a birthday just before Xmas isn't it!? DD will literally play for hours with her figures, she loves her toot toot people and animals too. She does like her books so I'm going to have a look at the leap reader.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Tue 14-Nov-17 23:33:09

My dd was 3 last Christmas. She got a balance bike which she is still too scared to go on, she was very small last year though, a couple of happyland bits, a new wooden toaster set from Argos to go in the kitchen we already had from ds. She loved and still loves puzzles and books so some of those and a wooden magnetic fishing game from elc, good for hand eye coordination. Her Nanny got her a scooter which has been used so much this year.

Smaller presents she got were a Peppa card game and some new art bits for her art box. She got a dressing up box for her birthday.

She’s easily pleased and has asked Santa this year for some Matey bubble bath and chocolate buttons.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Tue 14-Nov-17 23:34:33

MrsHathaway mentioned books, Axel Scheffler’s Flip Flap books are very good.

yeeyeelovesraaraa Wed 15-Nov-17 01:19:39

my dd also has her 3rd birthday close to christmas - its hard to think of stuff when they are close together especially when its got to last her a full year. I try to get some stuff she'll like now as well as some items she'll probably be more into in a few months time.

For her birthday we have got her

play shop with till, play money & accessories
rapunzel dress up costume
moana disney animators set
peppa pig books
granparents have got her a dolls pram & some playmobil

for christmas she is having
playmobil royal residence (castle)
magformers set
rapunzel lego
Elsa soft doll
finger puppets
orchard toys shopping list game
few books/stocking fillers

i'm still debating whether to actually give her the shop or stick it back on ebay. Mostly just because I'm wondering where we'll put it! Also we've already got a kitchen which she loves so not sure its really necessary - as pp says they are kind of similar though I thought it could be used for puppet shows too. I could probably just give her the till & she'd still be happy I'm sure. Its so easy to go overboard - I have to remind myself she'll get stuff from other people too so there'll be loads!

Annwithnoe Wed 15-Nov-17 22:12:27

That makes sense about the doll.
I think you've covered quite a few educational bases there - lots of scope for role play, imitation and imagination, and the potential for fine motor play (happyland), sensory play (bath toys). Letting her play sprawled on the floor or squatting will do a lot for her gross motor needs and there is loads of potential for vocabulary enrichment.
At her age things move fast so if it's an option for you I'd suggest saving your money to add bits and pieces every couple of months or so.

daisydalrymple Wed 15-Nov-17 22:18:32

You say she likes playing with figures, Busy Books are good. They're about £6 in Asda / Tesco / probably online. They're a board book with a play mat and figures contained at the back. They do all sorts, my dc have had frozen, Disney princess, cars, Thomas the tank and a santa one.

daisydalrymple Wed 15-Nov-17 22:20:55

Ps re the kitchen v shop issue, we got a wooden till to go with the kitchen. Some days we play kitchens, some days cafes and somedays shops.

MiddlingMum Wed 15-Nov-17 22:24:26

Small plastic animals were played with endlessly here. Ours were a bit of a mish-mash, but the Schliech ones are lovely.

NeverTwerkNaked Wed 15-Nov-17 22:33:09

That sounds like plenty of presents already. Am sure she will be v happy. I’d get some books and some art and craft things.

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Thu 16-Nov-17 11:12:15

Following. I have 3yo twins with two older siblings and I feel like we have everything already! I don't need to get them loads, but obviously they need some presents as their siblings will be getting stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now