Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas outfit

(17 Posts)
cheeseandbiscuitsplease1 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:59:52

The last few years I've not bothered to dress up at all for Christmas, in fact I'm embarrassed to admit that last year I wore an old cardigan that I wear for work! This year I'd like to make a bit of an effort. The main reason I haven't made an effort I that I've put on a lot of weight. I'm a size 20. I don't like anything tight fitting, l would prefer my bum to be covered e.g. tunics. I'm not keen on jumpers as I look a bit matronly but I get cold easily (the reason for the cardigan). I've had a look on a few websites but nothing has jumped out at me. Can anyone help me find something nice? ( I quite like the idea of a bit of sparkle!)

ohtheholidays Tue 14-Nov-17 21:19:18

Sparkly sequins are big this year especially for Christmas.

You said you've looked online what about on the High street is your local town any good?

I always dress up for Christmas I either buy myself a new dress or a new skirt and top,something that wouldn't look out of place if I was going out for a nice meal or to a friends Birthday party.

cheeseandbiscuitsplease1 Wed 15-Nov-17 07:56:09

I live rurally so I don't often go out to our nearest town and online is so convenient (plus I can try things on at home).

PJBanana Wed 15-Nov-17 10:55:49

Have you checked Very? It’s really good for affordable plus size clothes. I found these:

www.very.co.uk/v-by-very-removeable-faux-fur-collar-cardigan/1600175675.prd

www.very.co.uk/v-by-very-faux-fur-stripe-cuff-cardigan/1600202837.prd

Both quite festive and will keep you warm! Otherwise, if you want to feel really comfortable on the day you could easily dress up a plain cardi/tunic with some nice jewellery smile

KarenW Wed 15-Nov-17 14:28:18

try Yours, lovely dressed in plus sizes,

jo10000 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:21:37

For the last few years at Christmas I've worn a black lacy (dressy) cardy over a dress. It covers the back, the arms and has some bits you can pull round your tum when you sit, but shows the dress through it. See if you can find something like that and you'll feel dressy but bumps covered!

goose1964 Thu 16-Nov-17 10:41:50

I've got a tunic top/ skater dress from primarily in a berry shade which I wear with black leggings and ankle boots. The top/dress is mid thigh length an comes in large ,I usually wear an 18 but the 16 is slightly on the large side for me, but not too big that a 14 would fit

goose1964 Thu 16-Nov-17 10:42:36

Why does autocorrect hate Primark

squishysquirmy Thu 16-Nov-17 11:06:30

Could accessories help? Maybe some tasteful but vaguely festive earrings? It is possible to find non-tacky Christmas earrings, try Etsy or similar.

HandbagCrazy Thu 16-Nov-17 15:49:38

I’m a big fan of dress, tights / leggings, boots and cardigan so you can dress up or down to match the occasion.

Depending on budget, I would look at Matalan (Roger & Roger), New Look curves, Yours, Very and Simply Be. As PP said, sparkle always comes back into fashion over Christmas so you should be able to find something.

Also, if you want to look as though you’ve made an effort, paint your nails the day before and do your hair. No matter how quickly you do those things, along with a tidy outfit, you will always look ‘put together.’

cheeseandbiscuitsplease1 Sat 18-Nov-17 19:51:21

Thank you, I've never looked at some of those shops so going to have a good look on their websites. I think a refresh of accessories is a good idea too.

Mrsmadevans Sat 18-Nov-17 20:52:39

There are loads of lovely tunics and dresses on George OP , in fact I have just bought this
direct.asda.com/george/womens/tops/sequinned-lace-top/GEM592309,default,pd.html
for myself lol

MsHippo Sat 18-Nov-17 20:57:55

Mrsmadevans that top is gorgeous. How generous is the sizing and how does it compare to the photos on the website?

Mrsmadevans Sat 18-Nov-17 21:03:55

It is very generous I think you will love it ! It is beautiful I am otm with it !

cheeseandbiscuitsplease1 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:04:12

Thanks for the george tip, I had a look and it's good! I've ordered a couple of dresses to try. Thanks again!

Mrsmadevans Sun 19-Nov-17 20:09:51

You are very welcome my dear hope you find something you like
I bought this for dd2 today and it is so lovely the pic doesn't do it justice it is way more sparkly than it looks , she has a pug obsession lol
direct.asda.com/george/womens/tops/christmas-pugging-top/GEM586601,default,pd.html

KC225 Mon 20-Nov-17 02:55:28

I'm going to go off field here but have a look on Ebay. Get something in your size for a bargain, so you'll feel a bit more festive and then vow to do something positive in the New Year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now