Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas snackathon

(9 Posts)
Nousernameforme Tue 14-Nov-17 08:35:19

Do you do this? Where you have a load of festive snacks you know tins of sweets pringles nuts mince pies twiglets etc and have them on a side for people to help themselves to throughout the festive period.

My mum did and I've carried on the tradition. However all it leads to is heartburn in adults and no one eating their dinner well duh.
So I am thinking about knocking it on the head this year, but then christmas with no goodies seems a bit mean.

Do you have snacks at christmas how do you do yours are they help yourself or just on an evening or what?

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 14-Nov-17 09:08:26

Yes we do this

But every year I cut back a bit more. The kids are older now, adults and teens. They take the Pringles first, then just mindlessly eat for the sake of it..... after all, it’s there!

Nousernameforme Tue 14-Nov-17 10:40:26

It is, it's just eating for the sake of it. We didn't do as much last year but this year I am really wanting to go cold turkey heh.

What would you consider essential bits?

FridgeCut Tue 14-Nov-17 10:42:55

I said last year I was cutting back, I haven't bought any heroes / celebrations / roses and instead bought boxes of nicer chocolates in smaller quantities. I still seem to have about 15 big bags of crisps to eat through. But we do have several events to eat them at so it won't be so bad.

popcornpaws Tue 14-Nov-17 11:02:46

Every year I say I'm not buying all the snacks and chocolates etc and every year I seem to be seduced into buying all sorts of nonsense.
I watch my diet most of the year apart from holidays and Christmas and I think its a case of I like to have all my favourite foods that I wouldn't normally eat.

This year I've kept a note on my phone of things I've already bought as in the past I stash the snacks away and forget about them and end up with a mountain of stuff.

We are going out for a meal on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so really theres no need to buy lots, I work in retail (food) and I see all the festive food tempting me on a daily basis!

Nousernameforme Tue 14-Nov-17 11:49:30

We are having a chinese for christmas eve and christmas dinner for us this year will be steak and chips with a starter and pud as none of our children like a roast dinner boxing day dp is back to work so its just a normal day.
I think i'll get some biscuits for cheese as that isn't something we normally have during the year and some mince pies. I like the posh chocs idea rather than the tubs

givemushypeasachance Tue 14-Nov-17 12:38:07

In our family you know it's Christmas when "The Snack Tray" comes out. grin It's an old tuperware container divided into sections, and big bags of crisps/nuts/twiglets are decanted into it gradually. I think it helps to stretch the snacking out as you're not presented with whole bags just being passed around, and you can have just a few bits of various snacks. Someone has to go and refill it when it runs low and that helps break up the constant grazing too!

FridgeCut Tue 14-Nov-17 12:49:45

tinyurl.com/ycsu628h
I have found similar on Amazon, I might invest in one smile

NoWordForFluffy Tue 14-Nov-17 13:00:39

I've just ordered one, Fridge. I love Christmas snacks / snacking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now