Talk

Advanced search

Frugal festivities

(7 Posts)
MaggieMeldrum Mon 13-Nov-17 23:00:05

Need to do a super frugal Christmas this year. Which will be tricky with 2 teenagers and a tweenie. Anyone else in the same position?

SuperLoudPoppingAction Mon 13-Nov-17 23:08:34

Yep - same age range too.
I have lots of decorations from previous years but am wondering whether to get a tree or do what I did last year and make something out of fallen branches so the children can whinge about it to me forever and ever.
I usually struggle the most with the older two, but they're sorted for presents this year. I'm most concerned about what to get my 10-year-old. He is suddenly obsessed with an htc vive and there is no chance he will get it at all, so he won't tell me about anything else he would deign to receive.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Mon 13-Nov-17 23:09:56

They're all getting harry potter cushions/a blanket from Primark. One is also getting a cushion from Aldi, because it's just like a fractionally more expensive one he fell in love with from B and M.
They are all into soft furnishings as we've just moved house.

CustardDoughnutsRule Wed 15-Nov-17 17:03:01

The Harry Potter stuff is genius! My DD's a bit younger, but her most treasured possession is a time turner. Really looks the business and was only about £4.

Asda basic artificial trees were really good value for the money the last couple of years. Might be worth a look, though I haven't seen this year's selection.

We're not exactly being frugal as my kids are getting tablets this year, but I need to stretch the rest of the budget to cover everything else.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Thu 16-Nov-17 15:32:50

I got two books in a second hand shop yesterday. £5 total so not cheap but I think they'll like them. I need to go to cheaper second hand shops!

KC225 Thu 16-Nov-17 16:29:46

Have a look on Amazon for books. I bought a large beautiful hardback book for making sweets for 15p plus 2.80 delivery. Some of the named cookery books go of a bargain and most of them are new.

chaplin1409 Thu 16-Nov-17 16:30:46

Wilko also have harry potter bedroom stuff good prices.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: