Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Smelly candles

(24 Posts)
Annwithnoe Mon 13-Nov-17 16:57:52

Can anyone recommend a brand of candle strong enough to fragrance a largish open plan area. Cant afford the really expensive kind and I'm struggling to find a Yankee scent I like.
The Aldi jo Malone ripoff is lovely but only strong enough for a bathroom or small bedroom.

goose1964 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:44:13

I think you're going to struggle as most scented candles are only coated in scented wax. Those that have the scent throughout tend to be expensive. What sort of scent are you looking for? Yankee's Christmas Eve is lovely and last year. I had ,I think, Christmas Wreath which was an apple and pine blend, which was really nice and christmassy

fairiesandelves Mon 13-Nov-17 17:53:39

I’ve been simmering on the hob an old sauce pan of water with cinnamon star anise cloves nutmeg and a cut satsuma. Cheap and masks wet dog smell too lol.

Kez0777 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:24:12

These candles are amazing, they have a couple of Christmas ones coming out and I’ll definitely be getting a couple

www.cliffehouseorganics.com/

lumpybumpylooloo Mon 13-Nov-17 19:57:48

Have you smelled Yankee Candle ‘Snow in love’? I think it’s a really fresh smell and not too sickly. I also like ‘Iced Snowberries’ by PartyLite.

ScandiGirl10 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:00:27

I bought a really big 'winter' scent candle from Sainsbury's for £12 has made my whole house smell like Christmassy and sophisticated

washingmachinefastwash Mon 13-Nov-17 20:01:42

The air wick wax burner is great and there are a lot of wax melts you can put in.

NewtsSuitcase Mon 13-Nov-17 20:03:09

Neom are expensive if you buy them full price but if you're anywhere near a TK Maxx they have loads in at the moment. I went crazy buying them for gifts at the weekend. The scent throws really well and will last for a long time.

ItStartedWithAKiss241 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:04:36

Ginger bread “Yankee” style from home bargains x

Snausage Mon 13-Nov-17 21:34:10

I have an open plan living/dining room and I love the WoodWick Hearthwick candles. Fireside is my favourite scent. They're a soy wax blend so don't go sooty like Yankee candles. The scent is beautiful and fills the entire room and hallway and the crackling sound the wick makes as it burns is not dissimilar to the sound of a real fire. They're not cheap, but they last a really long time!

buckeejit Mon 13-Nov-17 22:14:51

I love the white company's winter candle but it is expensive-the franpgrance oil is great & just £6-I put it on a big bowl of pine cones.

Kez0777 Tue 14-Nov-17 16:35:16

The Cliffe House ones are now on the website and I’ve ordered on of each. Can’t wait for the house to smell all Christmasy smile I got free delivery over £10 too woth this code CHOSHIP10 grin

www.cliffehouseorganics.com/

LaurieFairyCake Tue 14-Nov-17 16:43:15

The cheapest way to scent a whole room is with a burner and a few drops in water of essential oil.

Buttercupsandaisies Tue 14-Nov-17 17:54:28

I've heard those incense Christmas tree sticks do the job if placed on a radiator? Not tried tho!

Bejazzled Tue 14-Nov-17 17:57:09

Some Neom candles are half price in Victoria Health online just now

Annwithnoe Tue 14-Nov-17 20:55:32

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll head out to the shops tomorrow and start sniffing blush

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 14-Nov-17 21:00:02

I haven't seen this years Yankee Christmas ones.
I love Sparkling Cinnamon and bought some of the votives and melts last year.

Sugared Apple is nice (we use it in the bathroom)

I'm not keen on pine or the berries ones.

Off to search now...

BanyanTree Wed 15-Nov-17 13:20:22

Agree with Laurie. Buy an oil burner (heated by candle underneath) and some essential oil. I like Lavender and Bergamot, or mix both. The smell will travel further and a bottle of oil will last much longer than a scented candle.

pineappleeyes Wed 15-Nov-17 20:38:02

I'm burning Yankee candy cane lane tonight and it's filled my whole house.

The scenticles are good hung around the house or put on radiators. I think Aldi have their own version in from tomorrow.

Star2015 Wed 15-Nov-17 21:55:45

Have you smelt the new ‘Christmas magic’ yankee Scent... I love it... have nearly used half of a medium jar already! blush

Justgivemesomepeace Wed 15-Nov-17 21:58:59

Another vote for woodwick fireside.

Katurah Wed 15-Nov-17 22:12:04

Woodwick Fireside or Stoneglow plum blossom and musk x

Hmmalittlefishy Wed 15-Nov-17 22:16:01

I was going to say the same as itstartedwithakiss the home and bargains Yankee style one in gingerbread is lovely. Fills quite a big room too and I think only £2??
I got the halloween one but it didn't smell at all sad

FlowerPotMum Thu 16-Nov-17 09:33:22

I've got the Home Bargains gingerbread one burning now, it smells lovely and fills the whole house. Coat about £3 for a large jar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now