Talk

Advanced search

Present ideas for nearly 9 yo son

(9 Posts)
rightsofwomen Mon 13-Nov-17 11:17:36

Something that he can play with by himself.

He's happy to read or play computer games, watch telly etc, but he doesn't really sit and play as such.

He enjoys lego, his match box cars, Hex Bug, playmobil etc, but I'm reluctant to keep adding to these as they don't capture his interest for that long.

I can add to his marble run.

He tends to like short-lived fun, like those dinosaur excavation kits, or grow you own [insert strange scientific thing].

He's LOVES football. A little goal I could pop up somewhere would be good I guess - would need to be really sturdy.

We do like playing board games together or doing jigsaws.

doodle01 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:22:38

Ask dad what dad wants !!

CoffeeChocolateWine Mon 13-Nov-17 11:26:52

Sounds very much like my son. I find that outdoor toys/games are the biggest successes. Does he like basketball? My son got a basketball hoop and ball last Christmas and he has used it loads.

Or if an indoor thing, hot wires (an electronics kit).

rightsofwomen Mon 13-Nov-17 11:33:05

doodle we are divorced.

He'd love a hoop I think coffee but living in a terrace house I don't think it's very considerate to our neighbours.

Electronics kits would be good actually.

Ohyesiam Mon 13-Nov-17 11:39:22

Maybe that diet of playing I'd Judy not what he does?
My eldest never played with toys, wanted human interaction and group activities all the time. She would read, and now she's older, will do screens. I got about 3 department stores full of toys to try and find the one that would engage her.....

But have hope, now she's a teen and does endless cadets, scouts, D of E, etc. I have to make dates to have some time with her.

Ohyesiam Mon 13-Nov-17 11:40:42

Sorry for 1st sentence. I mean maybe that sort of playing is just not what he doesblush.

Annwithnoe Mon 13-Nov-17 12:24:48

I have two Lego mad DSs and a mortifying large mountain of Lego so I'm getting the Lego technic power functions and this and this book to give them some new challenges with old bricks.

rightsofwomen Mon 13-Nov-17 12:30:09

ohyes I think you're right, and that's fine. He's wonderful company
when we're going things together but obv that's not possible all the time and I think learning to entertain himself (other than through computer games) is important.

My older son very much enjoyed construction toys so that was easy.

Ann did you read the OP?

Zapdos Mon 13-Nov-17 12:56:53

What about a micro bot kit?

www.techwillsaveus.com/shop/microbit-microbot-pack/

My DS is similar and has asked mainly for Skylander starter kits for the Playstation. We're also getting him a decent magic set, if that sounds like something your son might like? We figure he'll be able to master the tricks independently, then wow us all with his 'skills' grin

If he likes Pokemon Go (my son is obsessed), maybe a Go Plus or Gotcha?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now