Talk

Advanced search

Crackers

(12 Posts)
Papergirl1968 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:12:59

I hate traditional crackers with hats, a pathetic joke and a bit of tat. It’s a lot of money for what just goes in the bin.
The last couple of years we’ve had debenhams crackers which contain wind up figures and a board to race them, but looking for something new this time.
All I’ve been able to find are some Lindt chocolate crackers in Asda and a couple of toiletries ones in Boots. Can anyone suggest anything else which won’t break the bank?!

AutumnalLeaves38 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:43:58

OP,

How many do you need?
What's your budget?

FridgeCut Mon 13-Nov-17 16:46:40

WHy not do your own? I usually do, means people get nice things they like in them and is usually cheaper in the long run. I’ve bougjt kits from marks and Spencer’s or paperchase before.

goose1964 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:47:06

Tesco have reindeer race ones this year

BeachysFlipFlops Mon 13-Nov-17 17:54:09

Waitrose are half price at the moment...

Ricekrispie22 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:12:04

Have a look at Kuckoo Krackers on Amazon.

Leeds2 Mon 13-Nov-17 18:18:47

I have in the past had musical crackers, where every cracker is a different note and they provide the instructions for a few Christmas carols. Cant remember where I got them from though!

FridgeCut Mon 13-Nov-17 18:23:50

tinyurl.com/musical-crackers there are loads of different ones on amazon, how fabulous! Thanks Leeds2, I might get some.

Papergirl1968 Mon 13-Nov-17 20:38:45

Only need four, Autumnal, and I really only wanted to spend about £10.
Thanks for the suggestions. I might think about doing my own.

Chillywhippet Mon 13-Nov-17 22:57:00

Tkmaxx usually have a selection of fun crackers
Balloon modelling
Moustaches
Origami
Magic
Musical

I'm in rehab from doing my own. After a couple of years it got to be a burden on my festive to do list fconfused

AutumnalLeaves38 Tue 14-Nov-17 00:11:16

OP,
God, crackers are so expensive, aren't they? There are some really lovely, unusual ones out there, but we're on austerity measures here.
And usually come in inconvenient size numbers: whenever you only need 4, they're mostly in boxes of 6...when you need 9, you end up with unnecessary leftovers. Grr.

Online gives you scope to select exact number of 4, but your £10 budget means any savings may be eaten by delivery charges instead. Suppose you could always choose mini versions?

Things to consider:
1. How much time/effort you have to DIY some right from scratch (if that's viable, start collecting those loo roll inner tubes now!).
Will allow you to spend more on quality gifts, but bit of a hassle if you hate crafts. I love all that, but one frantic Xmas Eve finishing off 14 hand-made crackers was nearly enough to send me completely barmy. 4 would seem far more reasonable...you should be ok. smile

(Am assuming you'd not need to worry about creating professional-standard, elegant and sophisticated works of art for 3 critical others likely to judge your DIY efforts harshly?
Laid-back folk no problem: they'll be complimentary (bonus if your table includes any kid(s), who'll be far more interested in what's inside anyway...).
YouTube tutorials/ Pinterest etc. for step-by-step ideas.

2. Do you want eco-friendly (friendlier?) crackers, or are you fine about foil, plastic trim etc. Bargain ready-mades in shops/supermarkets, and a lot of DIY kits, are usually the latter.

If you wanted a compromise, you could get very basic DIY kit and do this:
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=180&v=SFSnNPzEcEY

www.littlecraftybugs.co.uk/kraft-make-fill-your-own-cracker-making-craft-kits-boards-accessories.html#

(4 x "single kit" [recycled Kraft cracker, a snap strip, a hat, a joke (though you could swap that for one of your own which is actually funny/ add a forfeit)], total: £4.80)

Plus £2.95 delivery
TOTAL: £7.75

But you'll then obviously need to cost for 4 x decent surprise/toy/whatever. Hmm. Or make something? More time/effort to factor in, remember.
Cheap pipe cleaners or ribbon to tie, plus any decorations.

Good luck! (If you do make your own, can we see a pic?).

Love those music chime ones upthread.

Papergirl1968 Thu 16-Nov-17 23:10:19

I’m the least crafty person in the world, Autumnal. I’m already behind with the gift buying and haven’t started on the wrapping yet so the idea of finding the time and inclination to make crackers on a budget is falling from favour.
I bet Tamara Ecclestone with her billionaire lifestyle, huge mansion and millions of staff doesn’t have this problem. And there’s probably Tiffany jewellery in her crackers. Envious? Oh no, not I!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now