Talk

Advanced search

Are IKEA christmas trees any good?

(7 Posts)
NapQueen Mon 13-Nov-17 08:16:14

Tree usually goes up first weekend in December and comes down day after Boxing Day. Is a fresh (preferably IKEA) tree likely to last this long?

Charmed18 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:34:13

Ours was brilliant last year! We put ours up first day of December and put it outside at end of December. It was still green in January!

rachrach2 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:24:16

Ours lasted from 1st dec-1st jan brilliantly! I watered it with lemonade. Hardly any needles dropped and kept it’s shape.

MrsHathaway Tue 14-Nov-17 23:27:12

It will if you look after it well (that means choosing the right kind of stand and keeping an eye on the water level).

Never had one from IKEA, I have to say. Our local Forestry Commission sells trees (from a different forest) so we go there.

NapQueen Wed 15-Nov-17 08:07:55

Lemonade 《strokes chin》 interesting. Glad to hear they last.

What sort of stand would you recommend?

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 15-Nov-17 09:53:28

Watering with lemonade? Never heard of it - is that recommended now?
We just buy the freshest-looking tree locally, might sit outside for a few days before putting up. Dh will slice a bit off the end of the trunk before it goes in the same big bucket of wet gravel we've been using for years. I top up the water now and then - it usually lasts pretty well until 12th Night. Of course some nice red foil paper goes around the bucket since it's not a pretty sight.

rachrach2 Wed 15-Nov-17 13:32:47

I think I saw the lemonade thing on this morning or similar a few years ago - has to be the full fat version and not diet - works for us! We use a stand that keeps some of the water/lemonade directly in it while tree soaks it up and also cut the end off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now